Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-08-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
Captain Stern

Why did Glorfindel glow while Gandalf didn't?

In the flight to the ford Frodo could see Glorfindel glow on the 'other plane.' Why didn't Gandalf glow? He's a Maia after all.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:39 AM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: Why did Glorfindel glow while Gandalf didn't?

That's an interesting question. I can't remember Frodo ever seeing Gandalf in his full strenght while wearing the ring, that's probably why. (of course MM or some other genious person will probably come along and prove me wrong )
Old 06-09-2001, 03:49 AM   #3
Inoldonil

I am not a genius person, so count me out.

But I do have an answer. Gandalf was not there at the time. Frodo was pierced by that wretched blade, and he was slowly Fading into the 'wraith-world', that unseen world of Middle-earth, the other side. As Gandalf related to him, if he had not resisted as long as he had, or if they had not tended him in Rivendell as soon as they did, he would have been beyond recall. Frodo could see half-like the Ringwraiths could, and so saw persons as they are on the other side, for a brief time. Glorfindel, as you know, had been in the Blessed Realm and so lived at once in both worlds (for Aman had retreated beyond the Circles of the World and had entered the spiritual plane). Elrond, however, healed him, and the shards of the knife were removed. So when he wakes up in Rivendell and sees Gandalf, he no longer has that special perception.

But Gandalf himself, with his piercing sight noted a certain transparency about Frodo's wounded arm. He had also been in Aman, but there were others who hadn't been that could have noticed it. 'For eyes that can see' were his words, or something very near.

Yet when you wear the Ring and render yourself invisible, an inevitability for those who had not the power to choose not to, you are half in the wraith world yourself. That is part of the reason Frodo had the sight he did on his party's flight to the Ford. He has that kind of sight later, and Sam does too, him being briefly a ring-bearer. They saw glimpses of the other side. Frodo began to see the Ring as a Wheel of Fire, and Sam sees that too in the Cracks of Doom. He sees Frodo tall, clothed in white with a wheel of Fire at his breast.

There are of course many other examples. For example Frodo saw Galadriel's Ring of Water, Nenya. This was only because she allowed him too (that's why Frodo never saw Gandalf's until the end, or maybe they couldn't be concealed after the One was destroyed), but no others who had not born a Ring could have seen it.

It is really a very fascinating subject, closely related to magic in Tolkien's Middle-earth.
Old 06-09-2001, 10:02 AM   #4
Earendilyon

Mb it has also something to do with the fact, that Gandalf was prohibited to use all his incarnate power in ME. He was only in ME to guide the peoples in their resistance to Sauron. Glorfindel however could deploy all his might. Frodo saw btw some of Gandalf's powers in the rising of the Bruinen: white horses, which were Gandalf's presence.
Old 06-09-2001, 04:03 PM   #5
Spock1

This is too easy I cannot resist. The glow was because he just had sex!!
Old 06-09-2001, 04:14 PM   #6
Darth Tater

i'm not sure what to do about that so i'll let another admin deal with it
Old 06-09-2001, 08:33 PM   #7
Inoldonil

*leans back with hands behind head*

Not my forum!
Old 06-10-2001, 04:46 AM   #8
anduin

The offical statement from this board is that Spock's comment is not on topic. Please stick to the intended content of this thread....no matter how witty it may appear to be.

How's that Tater??

Stern.....great question.
Inoldonil.....great answer, I like it.
Old 06-10-2001, 04:01 PM   #9
Darth Tater

nice one anduin
Old 06-11-2001, 01:14 AM   #10
Spock1

IT IS ON TOPIC !! THE TOPIC WAS VAGUE IN ITS PHRASING.
Just because you don't like the answer; witty or not; doesn't mean you can totally discount it as off topic.

Let's not pull "the vicar of Dilby" routine here.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:05 AM   #11
Spock1

And Before you go self righteous on me; here's a quote from one of your own that says it all.

I am firm. You are obstinate. He is a
pig-headed fool." - Katharine Whitehorn,
British newspaper columnist.

|I
Old 06-11-2001, 07:19 AM   #12
anduin

Dude....chill!

Whose own??
Old 06-11-2001, 08:55 AM   #13
easterlinge

Glowing

Glorfindel himself might say: "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter....."

OK. I'll shut up now. Don't shoot me.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:03 PM   #14
Prince Faramir

that a bit harsh

twas a fair joke from spock, i mean whats wrong with an off the topic mark anyway? debating whether to rid yourself of it is silly, and ludicrous - keep em coming spock
Old 06-14-2001, 01:25 AM   #15
Feanturi

Re:that a bit harsh

although i have no business in the matter, i agree.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:30 AM   #16
The Black Lieutenant

Re: Re:that a bit harsh

Whether the original comment in question was off topic or not, one thing is certain. You've all gone off topic by arguing about it.