Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-02-2004, 12:44 AM   #21
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Speaking of mutterings, does anyone else hear the weird and disturbing peek-a-boo games during some of the scenes with the Eye of Sauron? It always sounds to me like it's saying "I see you..." Very strange.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:34 AM   #22
Telcontar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran:
Speaking of mutterings, does anyone else hear the weird and disturbing peek-a-boo games during some of the scenes with the Eye of Sauron? It always sounds to me like it's saying "I see you..." Very strange.
Yes, that's what he (Sauron) says. He feels the presence of the ring and it's wearer once it is put on. Frodo is in the "wraith world" when he puts on the ring, therefore, since Sauron created the wraiths, I believe he is essentially like a wraith and Sauron can "feel" him. Also, Frodo could actually see the ghoulish figures of the wraiths when he had the ring on at Weathertop.

Thinking of all this, I guess the palantir is sort of like it too since Sauron uses it as a communication device (i.e. - corrupted Saruman, weakened Denethor). Remember when Pippin's thoughts were read by Sauron? Basically, you just don't want to mess with that guy!

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:13 AM   #23
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Telcontar
"I guess the palantir is sort of like it too since Sauron uses it as a communication device (i.e. - corrupted Saruman, weakened Denethor). Remember when Pippin's thoughts were read by Sauron?"
But not essentially evil, like the Ring, since the Palantiri were made in Eldamar (by Feanor?) and were the rightful property of the Heirs of Isildur. But, of course, against a maia only Telcontar (at a distance) was able to take possession of one away from Sauron.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:30 PM   #24
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hey, Nurvingiel! I know a lot of Sam fans who ARENT slash fans that were dying to hear that as well. So...phht.

Boromir's whispery "Why do you recoil? I am no thief!" confused me the first couple of times I saw the movie. I always heard "Why do you recoil your hand you thief?" and that made no sense to me.

Also...Saruman's "All we have to do is remove those who oppose us" sounded like "All we have to do is remove those who are posers." I swear, I usually have good hearing. Meh...these deserve to go in the "Who am I gambling" thread at CoE. LoL.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:21 AM   #25
Telcontar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin:
But not essentially evil, like the Ring, since the Palantiri were made in Eldamar (by Feanor?) and were the rightful property of the Heirs of Isildur. But, of course, against a maia only Telcontar (at a distance) was able to take possession of one away from Sauron.
I agree, the ring was much more evil. I was not clear when stating that the palantir was used as a communication device. I meant to say that Sauron had more than one way to "see" someone; either from anyone who put on the ring, or anyone who glared into the palantir.

And yes, you were correct, Feanor did create the Palantiri as well as the Silmarils.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:55 PM   #26
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
YES! The Ring DOES do that a lot in the first movie, doesn't it... at Bag End, Rivendell, etc. And I can't make out a word it's saying!

Thanks for the tip about the subtitles... I'll try that next time. Sorry if I seem like a dweeb to have not known that, but I really don't have too many dvd's... the two LotR's and some kid's videos is all, none of which I have watched a whole lot - and have never really explored all the options.
in rivendell, the ring says
'Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul'
which is black speech for one ring to rule them all, etc etc
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:43 AM   #27
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Can anyone tell what Theoden mumbles before he organises his troops at the Pelennor? They have just arrived at the battlefield, and they get a good view of the forces of the enemy. Then Theoden says something to himself, only one word I think. What?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #28
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Can anyone tell what Theoden mumbles before he organises his troops at the Pelennor? They have just arrived at the battlefield, and they get a good view of the forces of the enemy. Then Theoden says something to himself, only one word I think. What?
Doesn't he and Eomer do a "Braveheart".

"We will fight for our....

...................FREEDOM!!!"
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote