Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #41
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

What ultimate scale will you use exactly to compare one art form to another?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #42
Janny
The Blobbit

No way is rock dead!!! 9/11 has revitalised old rock, take The Rising for example. Maybe it's just that the choice is 50 year olds still making quality music (maybe not strictly rock eg. Mark Knopfler) and people in PVC. People like... i dunno... all those people you were mentioning aren't rock... theyre loud. It has evolved beyond rock. Rock is now ryan adams, sub rosa etc etc.
Long live real rock!
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #43
gdl96
the greg the admin

Bruce Springstein should have nothing to do with rock and roll. The Rising made rock worse.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #44
Janny
The Blobbit

Explain.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:15 PM   #45
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Love that avatar Janny! Is "The Rising" a Bruce and E Street Band album (cd ) or just Bruce? Bruce rocks out with his band more than his solo stuff. His "Viva Las Vegas" rocks! (Or should I say rawks.... )
Old 02-15-2004, 04:20 AM   #46
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Bruce Springstein should have nothing to do with rock and roll. The Rising made rock worse.
*smacks Greg on the upside of the head*

I thought you'd stopped being so narrow-minded about music?
Old 02-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #47
gdl96
the greg the admin

*ouch*

Maybe that was a little harsh. But I still dont like Springstein.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #48
Janny
The Blobbit

Aww . Thanks for the support n all, but i wanted to lay into the guy... e.g. 'Ok, what's your taste in rock and roll? Westlife?' Never mind... plus probably havn't heard of Westlife... lucky America.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #49
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I don't think rock is dead. But then to me it's an individual perspective. Just because the charts are lined with pathetic excuses for music - ie. pop, it doesn't mean that there arn't decent rock bands out there.
True the days of Nirvana and Queen will probably never be seen again, but there are alternatives. I admit that I like the Darkness. Mainly because they're trying to put the fun back into music. The Red Hot Chillie Pepper are another good group. And I think that some people tend to mix rock and metal music. Rock will never die out - it'll just change gradually over the years. If it stayed the same then face it, people would get bored of the same thing.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #50
gdl96
the greg the admin

The Darkness reminds me of Spinal Tap. They're fun though. They are bringing some fun back to rock and roll.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:18 AM   #51
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
The Red Hot Chillie Pepper are another good group...
do you think of RHCP as rock? maybe it is as you say and i just tend to think of Rock as being metal but my idea of Rock is Fear of the Dark at Rock in Rio (ooooh been watching the IM dvd WOOOO!! ROCK ) or Manson trashing everything to the sounds of Lunchbox.... thats rock
Old 02-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #52
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
do you think of RHCP as rock? maybe it is as you say and i just tend to think of Rock as being metal but my idea of Rock is Fear of the Dark at Rock in Rio (ooooh been watching the IM dvd WOOOO!! ROCK ) or Manson trashing everything to the sounds of Lunchbox.... thats rock
You see, I see Manson as metal. He's good as well, but to me he's not rock.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:35 PM   #53
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I think rock is dead temporarily. It's dormant.

For some reason, people have recently become blind to talent. they listen to the big bands, because many of their friends do, and then they won't admit this, either. They also listen to popular bands because they are the most easily available. But then, dammit!, they forget that other, older, potentially BETTER bands exist.
For instance, only a few people I know in my high school want to listen to actual metal. Of these (about 20) people, only 1 has actually looked into other bands besides SoaD, Linkin Park, Metallica... and realised that some other musicians not only make good noise, but even write intelligent, thought-out lyrics that are not necassarily about popular beliefs.

But that's a poor example. Rock. Rock isn't around anymore because too many people believe newness and popularity to be the only two deciding factors in whether or not a song is good. White Stripes: When I first heard them, I was outraged. I could be their guitarist, or drummer, and probably vocalist; all they play is beats. My only comfort was that they weren'y popular. But they were on TV, and have made more appearances in commercials and whatnot, and now they are inavoidable because of the damned media.
If only the best rock musicians would be allowed to get gigs, there'd be a tremendous revival.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #54
Janny
The Blobbit

All i can say is 'damn right'.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #55
Janny
The Blobbit

And also the general calibre of abuse hurling pub gits has depreciated.