Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2001, 09:51 PM   #21
Erewe
Enting

Strider

And of course , who can forget when Sam made his farewells to the beer barrel?

Can't say that I've ever found Gollum funny, though. Tragic, yes, but funny? Not to me.

--Erewë

"Hey! Look! There he goes! Oh, it's just a crumby Balrog" --Crow T Robot

"I'll just see if Bombadil has a place to crash" --Pearl Forrester

"Put a sock in it, Legolas" --Mike Nelson

"Hey Gollum. Whats up man?" --Tom Servo
Erewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 02:39 AM   #22
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

Shanamir Duntak: i totally agree about legolas *sigh* and gimli keep a count of who kills the most orcs, i mean its not outright funny, but it is still amusing and gave me a good chuckle. i also love it when gandalfs' all disgruntled and yells at pippin in the mines of moria, "fool of a took! throw yourself in next time!"
Old 08-17-2001, 10:45 AM   #23
Shanamir Duntak
Lord of Rain

Strider

That's something we're sure to hear in the movie!

Many Tolkien fan's fav quote!
Old 08-17-2001, 09:52 PM   #24
Varda
Elven Warrior

What about when Merry is hidden in Dernhelm's (Eowyn's) bag and one of the soldiers sees him and addresses him as "Mr. Bag" or something like that. And what about "Well, I'm back."?
Old 08-17-2001, 11:20 PM   #25
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

He rides on the horse with her. I think the 'pack yourself up, Master Bag' quote is from a scene when the Rohirrim are in Drúadan Forest, one of the captains says that after tripping over him and cursing the tree roots. Merry informs him he's not a root and makes some referrence to feeling like extra baggage. Elfhelm, possibly.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:45 AM   #26
thephantomcat
Hobbit

Beat this.

The Two Towers
Book Four - Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

(Sam)
'I'll bet there's all sorts of good things running wild in this country. I'd give alot for a half a dozen taters.'

'Smeagol won't go, O no precious, not this time,' hissed Gollum. 'He's frightened, and he's tired, and this hobbit's not nice, not nice at all. Smeagol won't hunt for roots and carrotses and---taters. What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?"

'Pa---ta---toes,' said Sam.

That gets me every time.
thephantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 07:07 PM   #27
arwen
Sapling

Gandalf funny

Hi
I am new to this site and I liked this discussion most... I think there is lots of humour in the Lord of the Rings!!

and I like the scene where Gandalf gets mad with Pippin in Moria best!!
Old 08-23-2001, 08:18 PM   #28
Wiggy_The_Young_Took
Sapling

Not Any funny qoutations here, just intrigued to as why Varda found "Well, I`m back" funny? Ive heard thea famous line discussed a lot but not in a humourous way. Anybody care to enlighten me?

" Knock on the door with your head Peregrin Took! " - Gandalf The Grey
Wiggy_The_Young_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 08:51 PM   #29
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf Well, I'm back!...

Read this after I wrote my thread entitled J.R.R.'s little joke. See this thread for answer.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 05:20 PM   #30
Varda
Elven Warrior

I found "Well, I'm back!" funny not in the all out makes-me-want-to-crack-up sort of way, but just kind of a funny sort of ending... like at the end of the whole story he is sort of exhaling and returning to normal life... it was just very in character for Sam to say, and it seemed funny to me...
Old 08-28-2001, 03:43 PM   #31
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Although this was not so funny to Legolas, I found the part where they wanted to blindfold Gimli when they were going through Lorien to be pretty funny, especially after Aragorn's solution was made to blindfold the entire company. I think Legolas showed just how young of an Elf he was when he had his temper tantrum over that. Gimli's reaction to the solution was very amuzing to me.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:58 PM   #32
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I've always been fond of the part where Sam throws an apple at Bill Ferny, hits him squar on the nose, then grumbles, "Waste of a good apple." Very cool move.

All the Gollum scenes are fun too, his way of talking makes the littlest things seen funny: "Yess, yess, nice water....But's what that they've got, previous? Is it crunchable? Is it tasty?"

One of the best, of course, is Bilbo's speech at the Party: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." and then, "this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!" And he vanishes with a poof, leaving 144 disgrunted guests agreeing that "the joke was in very bad taste".

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 06:12 PM   #33
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Hmmmmm

Bilbos points to his reletives on the gifts I find quite amusing,Sams goodbye to the barrel, the bath song and the fact that Frodo owns up to stealing mushrooms,and Frodos "graceful":roll eyes: dance in Bree is way too much for me I giggle every time I think about it, Pippins cheek to Gandalf is so Hobbitish.
And Sams arguments with Gollum over herbs and sneaking around is something I love about Sam and the blow up of Mt Gimli at Isengard is just too funny and then the Scouring of the Shire is even under the circumstances is by far the funniest parts in LOTR but has anyone noticed the fact that everytime there is a serious situation Tolkien makes you smile inspite of yourself? So I'd say that everytime there's something serious it's witty because of the idosyncrosees Tolkien adds to that certain part.
Sam.
Ps.I like the one part where the wind blows the clouds away from Mt Doom andSam says"See it's not all going his way Gorbag said the war was going fine but Shagrat he was'nt so sure"
I find that to be so cool even under the circumstance Sam and Frodo are in because you know EXACTLY what is happening and so you relise that on the Pellenor even though it seems bad at the moment you know at that part in Mordor there's a slight chance of hope for the two hobbits there.If you follow me?
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote