Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2002, 10:26 PM   #81
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Heh....I feel your pain, TC. Really, I do....the same thing bugs me.

I have noticed that the bookworms write....it's just a literary thing, I think. Also, the more you read, generally, the more it helps your writing. Besides the fact that I'm a magpie writer (I steal all the shiny stuff), reading books helps me create characters that are my own, because the more I read, the more base I have. And also reading BAD books helps me know what NOT to write...*shudder* Read a few bad ones lately....
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:15 PM   #82
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Hello, Hi new kid on the block here so I hope I'm not imposing. I'm trying to write at the moment. I have lots of stories in my head but find them hard to put onto paper. I've just finished an LOTR fan fiction but its pretty dire. I'm writing a story though at the mo about a young heiress to a female chauvanistic empire who doesn't want the position and chooses instead to join the rebellion against the regime. Its set in a far off land and I have a dragon called Descaminord and two sprites called Niamh and Erien- I'm irish so I think fantasy is fantastic having seen the magic of the Emerald Isle. Any ideas on character names for my lead though? Help! Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 05:33 PM   #83
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Hello Miranda welcome to the Madhouse.........oops I mean Entmoot ................ I don't think it's possible to impose in this place..........plenty have tried tho

Naming characters can be a complete nightmare, if I'm really struggling I use an on-line name generator for inspiration

There's a good one here-

http://spitfire.ausys.se/johan/names/default.htm

A lot of the names it suggests are very weird, or just plain stupid, but occasionally it suggests the odd 'little gem'.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:07 PM   #84
Miranda

Thanx Coney. I've actually just found a name, with the help of my friend who's mad about naming things. He suggested I call her Eliya and call her brother Treyune. Random names but I like them. So I have my cast- now all I need is the story oh and a hero- any ideas out there? I think tall blond elven warrior might be a bit obvious! Yay Legolas! Tuddly Bye Mx
Old 11-11-2002, 06:55 PM   #85
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Do you want a hero or an anti-hero? Anti-'s can be fun sometimes. (I've got one running about in my head at the moment...).
I love Irish stories (have you been to Ireland? You sound like you have. Loverly place, it is...).
I often search for baby names online...a lot of sites have strange names that I can use.

Let us know how the story goes!

-tano

p.s. I'm currently fighting my way through an essay. Ick.

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 AM   #86
Miranda

I have an anti hero called Lord Jarelen- an evil overlord who wishes to marry the young heiress. Its my dashing knight in shining armour I'm looking for. I'm originally from Ireland so thats where the fantasy comes from and spend every year in Killarney Co. Kerry. Its really magical- especially when you take a little row boat on the lake in between the mountains and dream of LOTR all the time. Its where I found inspiration for my LOTR fan fic "An Immortal Love" I can just see Ireland as a sort of elven haven so it seemed appropriate to write part of my story there. If anyone has any names or any good ideas for this book let me know, I'm open to suggestions. Thanx everyone Mx
Old 01-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #87
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Another Fantasy Author's topic...

But it's funny you should mention that, because with a fantasy author's club I'm in, we're doing a collaborative story.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:30 PM   #88
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Re: Any Aspiring Fantasy Authours Out There?

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
Hey, any Fantasy writers out there?
Currently I'm working on a Legend Of Zelda novel with my brother (for fun) where a boy from modern day NY City is transported back to Hyrule, an Arthurian Saga/Series; and a series of my own creation, my firstwork.
My Arthurian saga featurtes some of my elves from my other series so whichever I get published (crosses fingers) first will tie in with the other one.
I LOVE "Legend of Zelda"!!!!!! I wish you all the luck in the world!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:47 PM   #89
Gwaimir Windgem

Oops...I must have accidentally clicked next when I meant to click Last. Such a halfwit here! Anyway, the previous post was supposed to be in reply to GreyWolf's post at the bottom of the second page.

*Goes to take Complete Idiot lessons. Wouldn't want to get rusty, now would we? *

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #90
Gwaimir Windgem

Coney: I love that name generator! It rocks! I've known about it for a long time. My absolute favorite. I never thought that the names seemed wierd or stupid; just that there's a lot of types of names.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #91
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Digging up ancient history...;)

I've been doing a lot more writing these days than I used to, and I did NaNoWriMo for the second year, and although I didn't manage to finish it this year either, I got a lot further than the previous year. I write a lot of little things that I post on my livejournal. I'm currently getting started on a story whose inspiration came from a dream, of all places. *grins* I love those kind of stories, because you get a much clearer picture of the characters than you might otherwise, having not only "seen" them, but also gotten a glimpse inside their heads and seen them in action, living their lives. And, as an added bonus, most of them come with names already. It's a sort of a pirate story, with the main characters named Drake (late teenage female), Kinney (early 30's male), Stipe (under-10 male), and the only one who didn't come prenamed, Mihal (late 20's male). They're "gypsies of the high seas", as I like to call them. *grins* I'm in love with them already, and I only just finished the character profiles - I haven't even begun to write the story yet!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 02-05-2004 at 12:15 AM.
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 PM   #92
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

My story is actually starting to look like a continueouse storyline rather than a bunch of random scenes put together. And my characters are developing to the point where they can surprise me, it's so happy! I was writing an angsty bit the other day and Willow spontaneously decided to push the other character out the window, I'm rather proud of her for that.

My writing has improved a whole lot in the last couple years, I was looking back at some of the stuff I wrote in 6th and 7th grade when I was just starting with this story and it was horrible. Tano, I sincerely apologize for making you read that driviel. Thank you for putting up with it...

Anyway, I'm rambling, one tip for naming characters, find a good name dictionary, buy a copy and carry it with you everywhere you go to write or work on your characters. I've got a name dictionary I've been using for about three years and it's falling apart I've used it so much. And if all else fails then write out the alphabet, pick some letters at random and rearrange them till you get something that sounds good.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #93
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
My story is actually starting to look like a continueouse storyline rather than a bunch of random scenes put together. And my characters are developing to the point where they can surprise me, it's so happy! I was writing an angsty bit the other day and Willow spontaneously decided to push the other character out the window, I'm rather proud of her for that.
I love it when that happens. You go into a scene thinking, this will happen, she will do this this and OH wait! What's she doing now? She'd be more likely to do THIS!

One time I was writing a scene when my main character was really angry. I originally had her smash some vase, but then in the end she kicked over a table, with a lamp on it, and set fire to the curtains before storming off. I hadn't seen that one coming.

(Incidentally, I didn't mean I love to push people out of windows.)

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #94
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran

My writing has improved a whole lot in the last couple years, I was looking back at some of the stuff I wrote in 6th and 7th grade when I was just starting with this story and it was horrible. Tano, I sincerely apologize for making you read that driviel. Thank you for putting up with it...
No problem. Hee. It was fun. I kind of miss running around middle school screaming about stories and things...but pretty soon I'll be doing that while running around college, so...

I haven't been writing much at all. *slaps self* So terrible! On anything. It saddens me greatly...but I really want to start again...curse schoolwork!

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....