Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

if LoTR was never written...

in an effort to bring together the two sides of the movie debate, i'd like to pose a question... this requires a serious suspension of reality, so if you decide to post, try to stay true to the idea (the books do not exist)

if JRRT didn't exist... his books we're never written... along with all the backstory... how would you feel in general about the LoTR movies?

would they be this generation's Star Wars or just another Beastmaster/The Sword and the Sorcerer... or somewhere in between?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think I would hold it with other beautifully filmed action movies such as Gladiator or Braveheart. I would have no complaints about it, and would have enjoyed it immensely. I probably would have been very confused about a few points, like who everyone was etc. and would therefore watch it several times paying close attention to such details.
I would also congradulate Peter Jackson on a highly original plot at a time when many Hollywood movies are completely unoriginal.

I'd say this is an interesting thread, but I don't think the two "sides" will be reconciled.

To make a slightly off-topic comment on that, many complaints that people have around the movies are based on how it is pointlessly or wrongly different (in people's opinions) from the book. Obviously if the book didn't exist, there would be no complaints about an adaptation.

I guess that's what the thread is about.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Lots of people fell in love with the movies before even touching the books, and the majority still havent read them... it would still be huge.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Laurelindórenan
Hobbit

I don't think I would have liked them very much, actually. I'm a 16 year old girl, so I don't generally like fantasy-action-adventure war type movies, but since I loved the book so much that was why I enjoyed the movies. Plus, I wouldn't have known who any of the characters were. It would've been confusing.

We all took an evilness test. WiKi was in the 99.7 to 99.8 percentile range. Seven of the rest of us got in the 99.0 to 99.6 range. Our 9th member, Bob, hasn't been able to overcome his love of kittens. He only got a 88.2. We're hoping to get him replaced.

- Ask the Characters, stupidring.com

I'm BB's daughter.
Laurelindórenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I would love them. They would be my favourite movies. I would still think some things were sorta stupid (legolas superelf ) but it would be a LOT more tolerable. In fact, it'd be comepletely tolerable.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...

Last edited by jellyfishannah : 01-17-2004 at 06:48 PM.
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
Figgy
Sapling

Well technically if there were no books, then there would be no movies, but besides that...

I think the movies would still be brilliant, considering how much work they had put into it.
Figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Figgy
Well technically if there were no books, then there would be no movies, but besides that...

I think the movies would still be brilliant, considering how much work they had put into it.
were not talking technically, brownjenkins said that if it was just an idea out of the blue like star wars.

i saw the movies before i read the books and i enjoyed them alot but my brother had read them before the movie so whenever i was confused he just told me what was happenin
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
were not talking technically, brownjenkins said that if it was just an idea out of the blue like star wars.
Actually weren't Star Wars books as well?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Actually weren't Star Wars books as well?
i think so but not on the same scale as lotr. bad example but you get what i mean
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I think I must be just about the only person in Christendom who read the Star Wars book before seeing the film (in those days, it took months for new movies to arrive at the backwater town I grew up in).

I suspect I would have the same opinion: great effects, great production design; too long, weak script and poor editing.

If there had been no books, I think the films might've been better because they would have made what works as a film rather than what stays (more or less) loyal to the story.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:59 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i kind of agree with gaffer on this... in many ways i think PJ deciding to stay true to the book as close as he did in many, but certainly not all ways, took away from the movie experience

a truly great director does what is best for the movie, irregardless of the written work
Old 01-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #12
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Re: if LoTR was never written...

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
in an effort to bring together the two sides of the movie debate, i'd like to pose a question... this requires a serious suspension of reality, so if you decide to post, try to stay true to the idea (the books do not exist)

if JRRT didn't exist... his books we're never written... along with all the backstory... how would you feel in general about the LoTR movies?

would they be this generation's Star Wars or just another Beastmaster/The Sword and the Sorcerer... or somewhere in between?
Some of my thoughts on this matter:

I think the movies were visually (scenery, costumes, special effects) well done. The sound track is very good.

Dialogue needs some work. (Dwarf jokes for example)

The action scenes at times stretch my sense of believability (even for a fantasy film) [For example, Bridge at Kazadum, Legolas scaling the oliphants]

A very original story, compared to everything else being shown at the theatre.

Transition between scenes does not flow as smoothly as I would like, so the film appears to jump around a bit. (I am not sure how I would improve it, but I can tell when a movie does not flow quite right.)

Certain things I would like explained better.
(for example:
What happened to Saruman?,
How do the Ents [A slow to action group of people according to the film] reverse a previous decision in a moments notice?,
Why did the Hobbits follow Aragorn into the wilderness?)

I am not sure if I would go see a three hour film. I might if friends recommended the film highly.
All the different names/characters would be difficult to follow completely. (Especially Merry&Pippin)

Interesting topic brownjenkins.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't think keeping track of the characters would be too hard. The plot would be easy enough to follow, not like The Usual Suspects (great movie).

My biggest questions, from FotR would have been:

Why exactly did they want Frodo to be the Ring Bearer? And as you suggested already mithrand1r, why did the Hobbits trust Aragorn?

A few people I've talked to who haven't read the books kind of forgot about Saruman.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote