Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
Flame_of_Udun
Sapling

If they do The Hobbit

Here is how I hope they approach The Hobbit, if it is made:

This of course, is just my opinion...

They need to carry on the weight and the atmosphere of the LOTR movies, so in addition to the central story of Bilbo, they should:

Include Gandalf's trip to Dol Guldor (spelling?) to verify Sauron's presence. I think they could also show a meeting of the White Council with Elrond and Galadriel, and Saruman returning, and possibly the scene where they "drive" Sauron out of Mirkwood.

Aragorn could make a brief cameo at Rivendell.

Cut out Beorn.

Definitely include the sequence where Gandalf and Thorin find Glamdring and Orcrist.

Possible Legolas cameo at the Elven kingdom in northern Mirkwood.

These things, along with the main plotline could make the Hobbit a very thrilling movie.

Jackson should definitely do the movie, and they would already have the models for Orthanc, Rivendell, etc.

Last edited by Flame_of_Udun : 01-16-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Flame_of_Udun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: If they do The Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Flame_of_Udun
Here is how I hope they approach The Hobbit, if it is made:

This of course, is just my opinion...

They need to carry on the weight and the atmosphere of the LOTR movies, so in addition to the central story of Bilbo, they should:

Include Gandalf's trip to Dol Guldor (spelling?) to verify Sauron's presence. I think they could also show a meeting of the White Council with Elrond and Galadriel, and Saruman returning, and possibly the scene where they "drive" Sauron out of Mirkwood.

Aragorn could make a brief cameo at Rivendell.

Cut out Beorn.

Definitely include the sequence where Gandalf and Thorin find Glamdring and Orcrist.

Possible Legolas cameo at the Elven kingdom in northern Mirkwood.

These things, along with the main plotline could make the Hobbit a very thrilling movie.

Jackson should definitely do the movie, and they would already have the models for Orthanc, Rivendell, etc.
I disagree with Aragorn and Beorn. Beorn needs to be in it in my opinion. Aragorn is only 10 at the time of the Hobbit, so if he is shown he should only be a boy. It would make sense though, since he is in Rivendell then...

I can understand the other points and see those though, especially the appearance of Legolas in Mirkwood, as that would make sense...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Flame_of_Udun
Sapling

Yes, that is true about Aragorn. I forgot about the time frame.

I think Beorn would have to be cut for the same reasons that Bomabil was cut. It just wouldn't tranlate to film very well, IMO.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 PM   #4
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

There's no real problem with an "adaptation" having a 20-year- old Aragorn's first encounter with Arwen- romantic subplots are needed, and for that matter, Aragorn (as 20) joining in the attack on Dol Guldur. I doubt even most "book" people would have a major problem with that.
Make it a two part movie and you have time for bits like Beorn, and Newline will make even more $$$$$. A Beorn character would probably be much to the liking of a director like PJ
Especially as a climax to the Battle of Five Armies.
And there's no logical reason to object to a fairly prominent role for Leggy, indeed, for a movie audience, if he met a 20-year-old Aragorn it would "explain" to them why Leggy piped up to defend Aragorn at The Council of Elrond. Aragorn (traveling with Gandalf from Dol Guldor) could be "explained" by his using an alias such as Strider exclusively while in Rhovanion.
And, as I mentioned elsewhere, add a romantic subplot with Bard (or Legolas) with a Laketown girl. Ooh, I know, she's the daughter of the master of Esgaroth!

Come to think of it, since elves aren't supposed to have affairs with other elves, maybe they can party with humans.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-16-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
There's no real problem with an "adaptation" having a 20-year- old Aragorn's first encounter with Arwen- romantic subplots are needed, and for that matter, Aragorn (as 20) joining in the attack on Dol Guldur. I doubt even most "book" people would have a major problem with that.
Make it a two part movie and you have time for bits like Beorn, and Newline will make even more $$$$$. A Beorn character would probably be much to the liking of a director like PJ
Especially as a climax to the Battle of Five Armies.
And there's no logical reason to object to a fairly prominent role for Leggy, indeed, for a movie audience, if he met a 20-year-old Aragorn it would "explain" to them why Leggy piped up to defend Aragorn at The Council of Elrond. Aragorn (traveling with Gandalf from Dol Guldor) could be "explained" by his using an alias such as Strider exclusively while in Rhovanion.
And, as I mentioned elsewhere, add a romantic subplot with Bard (or Legolas) with a Laketown girl. Ooh, I know, she's the daughter of the master of Esgaroth!

Come to think of it, since elves aren't supposed to have affairs with other elves, maybe they can party with humans.
Well then you would have to make Aragorn at least 25 then. He meets Arwen at 20 and Gandalf at 25...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #6
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Dunedain
Well then you would have to make Aragorn at least 25 then. He meets Arwen at 20 and Gandalf at 25...

Why not? Let's face it, that would be far less of an adaptation then PJ's, umm, changes in LOTR.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

does anyone mnow for sure if they are actually making a HOBBIT? one of my friends claims that her friends uncle's neighbor was an assitant animator for LOTR and says they are gong to make THE HOBBIT, but i dont really trust my friend's friend's uncle's neighbor that much...

i think that making the hobbit would be anticlimatic. i mean they already destroyed all of the sets needed and where ar they goign to find a young actor who looks just like Ian HOm? cause they cant use him, hes too old. and they would have to get ian mckellan to be Gandalf, i would just die if the left out Beorn. the Hobbit is my favorite JRR Tolkien book, i would be very dissapointed if they messed it up.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
does anyone mnow for sure if they are actually making a HOBBIT? one of my friends claims that her friends uncle's neighbor was an assitant animator for LOTR and says they are gong to make THE HOBBIT, but i dont really trust my friend's friend's uncle's neighbor that much...

i
PJ said he wants too. But it will be after his next movie if he does and it seems unlikely because of the book rights and so on. The article is somewhere on the moot, sorry i was to lazy to find it.

But I hope they don't give super elf anything more than a cameo at the most in The Hobbit. And as for showing the necromancer and white council, the book didn't focus on it so why should the movie. But knowing PJ we will be lucky if he stays anywhere near the books.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote