Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2001, 07:25 PM   #1
Lord Theseus

The Sons of Elrond

Hey,
Newbie here, if this question has already been answered, my apologies, and if it belongs somewhere else please move it.
It seems that the Celeborn question was answered very early on this board. But what about the Sons of Elrond. Does anyone know what happened to them? It is remarked somehwere that Celeborn went to go stay with them in Rivendell. Also, I know they were given the choice of being men or elves.
But this doesn't shed much light on whether they went over the sea or died in middle earth.

Should I assume that Tolkien's quote about celeborn implies that they went over the sea before him.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:48 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You're quite right, about 'shedding light'. We don't know. They didn't leave at the end of the Third, but some time in the Fourth Age they had to make their choice. Probably it was when the last of the Noldor were going to sail away into the West (with Celeborn and in my opinion CÃ*rdan). Whether they stayed or left or were sundered from eachother is not known.

On the other hand, read The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn in the Appendices. Ponder Aragorn's words, where he says he is the last of the Dúnedain. He must mean he is the last of the pure-blooded Dúnedain, but it may possibly imply Elladan and Elrohir had left.