Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2000, 05:11 AM   #1
Elfling

American Beauty

This might be totally off since everyone here appears to be a Star Wars fan, but does anyone think American Beauty (2000) was good?

Just a stab in the dark...

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself:
I am Elfling, Guardian of the Fourth Elf Ring, Lingya.
*bows*
(For those of you that don't know, that is a baby Elf :-Þ)

That's all.
Old 05-06-2000, 03:26 PM   #2
anduin

Re: American Beauty

Hullo....and welcome to Entmoot!

I haven't seen American Beauty....then again, I haven't seen most of the movies that are mentioned in this forum.
Old 05-07-2000, 04:11 AM   #3
juntel

I've just seen it tonight.

I liked the movie. Good story, good actors, well shot. Will see it again eventually on video.
But I think there was too much hype from media and friend, so it ended to be less than expected.

Even the subject has been touched elsewhere in other movies. I guess that with new generation of viewers the subject must come again in one form or another...

Do any of you remember the movie "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice"? It's different from AB, but left me with similar feeling...
Old 05-17-2000, 01:31 AM   #4
Ganger

LOVED IT!

it made me laugh, it impressed me.

The soundtrack was great, the carachter developement was perfect.
Old 06-01-2000, 04:57 AM   #5
BRENYA

I thought American Beauty was a good movie, but nowhere as good as critics said that it was. It certainly gave me a few laughs and Kevin Spacey did his usual good job, though. If you want to see a movie that deals with similar themes as AB, but does it SO much better, check out "Happiness" by Tod Solondz if you can find it. It came out a couple of years ago, but pretty much only played in art houses, because distributors were afraid to touch it on account of it's subject matter. It's one of the few movies that I can think of that has scenes that are funny, sad, disgusting and insightful all at the same time.
Old 07-06-2000, 05:13 PM   #6
leedug

Hello. This is actually my first time here. I just signed up so this is my very first response!! I saw American
Beauty on video, and I enjoyed it alot. However, maybe I was expecting a little bit more because of all of the hype
that it recieved. It was good movie to me, but not a great one. I do not think it would been half as good if the actors and actresses didn't do so well. Not just any actor/actress can pull those parts off and make it look believable.
Old 07-06-2000, 08:13 PM   #7
anduin

Hullo and welcome leedug!
Old 07-08-2000, 05:25 PM   #8
jedi master princess

i saw the movie before the hype (the second day it was released i think) and i loved it. i've not connected with a movie like this in a looooong while. and it just gets better with repeated viewings cuz there's so many layers to it...