Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Traitor and Mara

In light of the new NJO book Traitor, i was thinking about the question that Luke asked Mara, about why she had never turned to the dark side, even though she killed alot of poeple for the Emperor. I think it was b/c she did it out of obedience, so she never mixed the force flowing through her with hate. Then i realized that it was a good thing that Mara temporarily lost her force control after the Emperor died. If she hadn't, her feelings of hate toward Luke would have tainted her use of the Force, and she would have become a dark Jedi. Any one else have a thought?
Old 06-28-2003, 01:56 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Not the answer you want to hear, but... I think Mara was a poorly conceived character in the first place, and this stinks of an attempt at circumventing past writing mistakes.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

I never got into the star wars books much.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Not the answer you want to hear, but... I think Mara was a poorly conceived character in the first place, and this stinks of an attempt at circumventing past writing mistakes.
I like the character of Mara, but I agree that the writing about her character could have been better.

This is just my general impression of Mara. I have not read any SW books for several years, so it would be difficult for me to point to any specific case of poor writing about Mara.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
I like the character of Mara, but I agree that the writing about her character could have been better.

This is just my general impression of Mara. I have not read any SW books for several years, so it would be difficult for me to point to any specific case of poor writing about Mara.
Who the **** is Mara?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
Who the **** is Mara?
http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...jadeskywalker/

. . .

She was once known as the Emperor's Hand -- a highly skilled assassin and operative who could hear Emperor Palpatine's bidding from across the galaxy. Trained since childhood and honed into a weapon, Mara learned self-sufficiency, piloting, marksmanship and talents in the Force while serving her dark master.

. . .

A perfectionist, Mara could not abide failure. She wished to make it up to her dark master, but never got that chance. In mid-transit back to Coruscant, Mara felt the Emperor's death through the Force.

Her entire life of high-placed contacts, elevated status, and lifelong purpose collapsed with the defeat of the Empire at the Battle of Endor. Through the Force, Mara received fragmented images of the Emperor's final moments. Luke Skywalker was there… as was Vader… and the two murdered her mentor.

For years, she blamed Skywalker for Palpatine's death and the loss of her purpose. Mara floated along the fringe of galactic society in the years after the Battle of Endor. She eventually found herself as a pilot and operative in Talon Karrde's smuggling organization.

During the events of Grand Admiral Thrawn's campaign against the New Republic, Mara came face to face with Luke. The two had to cooperate to survive the wilderness of the planet Myrkr. They settled on an uneasy peace -- and Luke explained that it was not he who had killed Palpatine, but rather it was Vader.

Witnessing Luke Skywalker's Jedi abilities, Mara developed a begrudging respect for the war hero. Though she openly and brusquely questioned many of his philosophies, the two were often paired together during the Thrawn crisis, and their talents complimented each other perfectly time and again. Following the defeat of Thrawn, Luke gave Mara the gift of his first lightsaber, a weapon long thought lost but recovered by agents of the Empire.

Mara didn't want to be saddled with commitment to Skywalker's new Jedi order, so she refused his invitation to train. After all, she had survived all this time on her own, and had supplemented the Empire's finest training with hard-earned field experience. She had long been independent and the baby-steps of Luke's Jedi praxeum had no place for her.

Still, in her efforts to master her talents, she came across Kyle Katarn, another self-trained Jedi who had ignored Skywalker's invitation. The two trained together for a while, but the dark side crossed their paths. Realizing the dangers of the Force, Katarn admitted that the group learning experience of Skywalker's academy had its benefits, and became one of the first students. While Mara did visit the academy on occasion, she did not become a full-time student.

Mara focused on her career in the fringe, accepting increased responsibility in Talon Karrde's newly formed Smugglers Alliance. She undertook a number of information-gathering missions, pairing with Lando Calrissian on occasion. Despite the dashing gambler's best efforts, he was never able to woo Jade into anything other than a strictly business relationship.

Karrde, who was grooming Mara to be his successor, wanted her to gather an even wider variety of skills. Mara became increasingly independent in the following years, loosening her ties with the Smugglers Alliance.

During the Camaasi Document incident, Mara was investigating Chiss activities on the distant world of Nirauan. She once again teamed with Luke Skywalker as they infiltrated the mysterious outpost known as the Hand of Thrawn. Together, their skills and personalities complemented each other perfectly; if not for their pairing, they would have perished.

It was then that they realized how perfect a match they were. Despite a decade of tension between the two, and a relationship that started with near-violent acrimony, the two had fallen in love.

Following the peace treaty that brought a formal end to the Galactic Civil War, Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker wed on Coruscant. For a galaxy undergoing seismic political change, the two represented an inspiring notion and a powerful symbol. A former Imperial agent and the galaxy's most powerful Jedi Master had found a way beyond their past differences to find love.

. . .

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 AM   #7
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...jadeskywalker/

. . .

She was once known as the Emperor's Hand -- a highly skilled assassin and operative who could hear Emperor Palpatine's bidding from across the galaxy. Trained since childhood and honed into a weapon, Mara learned self-sufficiency, piloting, marksmanship and talents in the Force while serving her dark master.

. . .

A perfectionist, Mara could not abide failure. She wished to make it up to her dark master, but never got that chance. In mid-transit back to Coruscant, Mara felt the Emperor's death through the Force.

Her entire life of high-placed contacts, elevated status, and lifelong purpose collapsed with the defeat of the Empire at the Battle of Endor. Through the Force, Mara received fragmented images of the Emperor's final moments. Luke Skywalker was there… as was Vader… and the two murdered her mentor.

For years, she blamed Skywalker for Palpatine's death and the loss of her purpose. Mara floated along the fringe of galactic society in the years after the Battle of Endor. She eventually found herself as a pilot and operative in Talon Karrde's smuggling organization.

During the events of Grand Admiral Thrawn's campaign against the New Republic, Mara came face to face with Luke. The two had to cooperate to survive the wilderness of the planet Myrkr. They settled on an uneasy peace -- and Luke explained that it was not he who had killed Palpatine, but rather it was Vader.

Witnessing Luke Skywalker's Jedi abilities, Mara developed a begrudging respect for the war hero. Though she openly and brusquely questioned many of his philosophies, the two were often paired together during the Thrawn crisis, and their talents complimented each other perfectly time and again. Following the defeat of Thrawn, Luke gave Mara the gift of his first lightsaber, a weapon long thought lost but recovered by agents of the Empire.

Mara didn't want to be saddled with commitment to Skywalker's new Jedi order, so she refused his invitation to train. After all, she had survived all this time on her own, and had supplemented the Empire's finest training with hard-earned field experience. She had long been independent and the baby-steps of Luke's Jedi praxeum had no place for her.

Still, in her efforts to master her talents, she came across Kyle Katarn, another self-trained Jedi who had ignored Skywalker's invitation. The two trained together for a while, but the dark side crossed their paths. Realizing the dangers of the Force, Katarn admitted that the group learning experience of Skywalker's academy had its benefits, and became one of the first students. While Mara did visit the academy on occasion, she did not become a full-time student.

Mara focused on her career in the fringe, accepting increased responsibility in Talon Karrde's newly formed Smugglers Alliance. She undertook a number of information-gathering missions, pairing with Lando Calrissian on occasion. Despite the dashing gambler's best efforts, he was never able to woo Jade into anything other than a strictly business relationship.

Karrde, who was grooming Mara to be his successor, wanted her to gather an even wider variety of skills. Mara became increasingly independent in the following years, loosening her ties with the Smugglers Alliance.

During the Camaasi Document incident, Mara was investigating Chiss activities on the distant world of Nirauan. She once again teamed with Luke Skywalker as they infiltrated the mysterious outpost known as the Hand of Thrawn. Together, their skills and personalities complemented each other perfectly; if not for their pairing, they would have perished.

It was then that they realized how perfect a match they were. Despite a decade of tension between the two, and a relationship that started with near-violent acrimony, the two had fallen in love.

Following the peace treaty that brought a formal end to the Galactic Civil War, Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker wed on Coruscant. For a galaxy undergoing seismic political change, the two represented an inspiring notion and a powerful symbol. A former Imperial agent and the galaxy's most powerful Jedi Master had found a way beyond their past differences to find love.

. . .

right.

So in short:

- shes suppost to be some person who works for the empire.

-the emperor tells her to to kill luke

-meanwhile, luke gets a clone called luuke

-Mara Jade kills luuke

Mara jade marries the real luke.

OK, this does not make any sense.mithrand1r, you didn't need to write so much. you should have just said this:

- shes suppost to be some person who works for the empire.

-the emperor tells her to to kill luke

-meanwhile, luke gets a clone called luuke

-Mara Jade kills luuke

Mara jade marries the real luke.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #8
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
right.

OK, this does not make any sense.mithrand1r, you didn't need to write so much. you should have just said this:
Fortunately I used cut & paste, but I get your jist. I probably should have just left the link up there.

There is much that I have read (not only in SW, ST or other SciFi) that has logic problems or other deficienies when I start analyizing the plot/storyline to any great degree. "Independence Day" comes to mind. (great special effects, but enough plot problems to drive a truck through it. [for me anyway])

Old 08-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Fortunately I used cut & paste, but I get your jist. I probably should have just left the link up there.

There is much that I have read (not only in SW, ST or other SciFi) that has logic problems or other deficienies when I start analyizing the plot/storyline to any great degree. "Independence Day" comes to mind. (great special effects, but enough plot problems to drive a truck through it. [for me anyway])
I know how to use cut and paste. For an example:

. . .

. . .

There you see? I can cut and paste.

in fact, i wonder if someone dosent.

if you have see anything like this, it is completely and purly an accident and a coincedence. No really. totally.

Not i better close up because this thing is about to run out of Chara

Last edited by The Ben : 08-04-2003 at 11:07 PM.
The Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
I know how to use cut and paste. For an example:

. . .

There you see? I can cut and paste.

in fact, i wonder if someone dosent.

if you have see anything like this, it is completely and purly an accident and a coincedence. No really. totally.

Not i better close up because this thing is about to run out of Chara
I was not implying that you did not know how to cut & paste.

Any way, if you are interested in finding out more about Mara or any other SW character then go to the Star Wars: Databank | Character Databank.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

The Ben, read the "heir to the empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Mara is introduced in those. And then the two sequels he wrote.

I've read some other EU stuff - but I liked Zahn's books the best. I think Mara is in the Vector Prime series - but I don't like it.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #12
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
The Ben, read the "heir to the empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Mara is introduced in those. And then the two sequels he wrote.

I've read some other EU stuff - but I liked Zahn's books the best. I think Mara is in the Vector Prime series - but I don't like it.
I tried. sw books are so annoying
Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #13
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
I tried. sw books are so annoying
as are you geez, look down the collum - all last post by the ben.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:21 AM   #14
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Yeah, moving on to the next collum. And Mara is Mara. whos the traitor
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #15
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeah, moving on to the next collum. And Mara is Mara. whos the traitor
Quote:
Originally posted by TopazJedi
In light of the new NJO book Traitor . . .

Have not read book, so if you are actually asking who is a traitor in the book "Traitor" you will need to
(a) read the book,
(b) search the internet,
(c) wait for someone else that read the book to respond,
(d) other

Old 08-20-2003, 10:51 PM   #16
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:

Have not read book, so if you are actually asking who is a traitor in the book "Traitor" you will need to
(a) read the book,
(b) search the internet,
(c) wait for someone else that read the book to respond,
(d) other
(d) <enter>
Old 08-21-2003, 12:00 PM   #17
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
(d) <enter>
Ben,

What do you mean by your reply?

Old 08-27-2003, 02:26 PM   #18
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

<d> as in "other"