Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2003, 11:49 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Smaug assaulting the North.

I think it is mentioned somewhere ,maybe in the appendices, that Elrond was relieved by Smaug's demise for fear of the damage he may have wrought if he joined Sauron.

If Smaug had been unleashed your thoughts on what may have befallen.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Its very variable, the dragon could do imense damage to almost any land, but could be brought down by a sigle lucky or highly skilled shot (assuming the shooter had knowledge of the weak spot. Glaurung in the War of the Jewels was was the point man at crushing entire armies of the Noldor, three times, when they were at the high of their power and personal strength, but was killed by one hero with a sword in an ambush.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I think he could have made a great damage, but not for much time. He was to used to sleep over his treasures, you know...
Old 08-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The armies that confronted evil would have been decimated. Gondor would have fallen totally and it would be a close thing if Frodo managed to get to Mt. Doom at all.

Last edited by Spock : 08-13-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

wow it's been a long time...

EH I believe Tolkien (through Gandalf) mentioned this-check out UT "The Quest of Erebor" for Sauron's strategizing and Smaug.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
Silpion
Elven Warrior

This is straight off the top of my head but didn't Gandalf mention somewhere that if Smaug hadn't been killed he would have decimated Rivendell and there was the possibilty of there being no Queen of Gondor?
If Smaug could be convinced to get off his hoard, I believe he would have caused a lot of damage. True, he did have that weak spot, but how many people knew about it?
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:24 AM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
EH I believe Tolkien (through Gandalf) mentioned this-check out UT "The Quest of Erebor" for Sauron's strategizing and Smaug.
That's were it was. Thanks.

Quote:
This is straight off the top of my head but didn't Gandalf mention somewhere that if Smaug hadn't been killed he would have decimated Rivendell and there was the possibilty of there being no Queen of Gondor?
Interesting. I wonder how Elrond would have faired with the ring ( of water) I believe against the fire of Smaug. And, IIRC Glorfindel being re-embodied was more powerful than when he fought the Balrog in Gondolin.

Could they have been the only surviors of Rivendel?

Quote:
The armies that confronted evil would have been decimated. Gondor would have fallen totally
Similar thoughts to Spock's reply.

How would Lorien fair against Smaug with Galadriel. Tolkien states that she may have been the greatest of the Noldor save Feanor.

I agree with Spock that the other armies would have been crushed. The Witch-king and Smaug on the Fields of Pelennor and Gandalf the White. That would ( could )be a nice piece of literature.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-16-2003, 12:44 AM   #8
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I found both quotes in The Return Of The King in Appendix A (Durin’s Folk),
This is where Gandalf meets Thorin in Bree by chance.
Quote:
Among many cares he (Gandalf) was troubled in mind by the perilous state of the North; because he knew then already that Sauron was plotting war, and intended, as soon as he felt strong enough, to attack Rivendell. But to resist any attempt from the East to regain the lands of Angmar and the northern passes in the mountains there were now only the Dwarves of the Iron Hills. And beyond them lay the desolation of the Dragon. The Dragon Sauron might use with terrible effect.
This is in Minas Tirith and Gandalf is speaking to Frodo and Gimli.
Quote:
Gandalf is saying this.
‘Yet things might have gone far otherwise and far worse. When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valour of Durin’s Folk. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador, night in Rivendell. There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now hope to return from the victory here only to ruin and ash. But that has been averted—because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring in Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth.’
My opinion is that if Smaug had not been killed in The Hobbit and he could be convinced to leave his hoard and involve himself in the war he would attack Rivendell. I can see him arriving suddenly in the night and burning everything he could to try to destroy and isolate Rivendell. I realize that Rivendell has elves that are probably really good archers, I think eventually they could take down the dragon but not before he did some damage. As for Elrond’s ring (Vilya), maybe Elrond could use the power of his ring to try to water down all the burning buildings but I always thought that the ring wasn’t an offensive weapon. I could be wrong, but I thought the ring was for preservation and limited defense.
This is a pretty interesting question, I am going to think about it some more because I am curious as to Smaug vs. Lorien and the Glorfindel question. Would, or could, a re-embodied Glorfindel with elvish weapons and armor go up against Smaug? With Glorfindel, elvish back-up, and Elrond's ring would that be enough to go up against a dragon?
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:09 AM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for the quotes

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-17-2003, 10:26 PM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Legolas dragon slayer.

I just thought of the way Bard slew Smaug. If Smaug had come to Minas Tirith to lay it waste, it would have been nice if Legolas' Elven eyesight had spotted the weak point in Smaug's armor.

'Dern Helm"