Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Arnor or Gondor?

From The Lord of the Rings: The Council of Elrond
Quote:
'But my home, such as I have, is in the North. For here the heirs of Valandil have ever dwelt in long line unbroken from father unto son for many generations. Our days have darkened, and we have dwindled; but ever the Sword has passed to a new keeper. And this I will say to you, Boromir, ere I end. Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters--but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy; for they are found in many places, not in Mordor only.
The question is:
Which contributions to the defeat of Sauron in the TA is greater? Those of the Arnor and it's descendants or those of Gondor's?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:05 AM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

It is had to caculate 'greater' when the contribution had many diiferent types, and both sets were indispensible. Gondor certainly spent many times more men and treasure against Suaron, maily because Arnor collapse part way through the third age, and always had less population to work with.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I think that's tough to answer. Both Arnor and Gondor were indispensable, as Lefty said.

Gondor stopped Sauron in the South, but if the Rangers hadn't been protecting Bree and the Shire, the Black Riders would've probably got the Ring. And their arrival at the Pelennor Fields was a great element of surprise.

Both contributions were necessary, IMHO.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurus Nobilis
Both contributions were necessary, IMHO.
Ya, I think that way too.
We shouldn't speak of greater or more necessary or more important. Both were important in some way. Without one the other would have made no sense and the other way round.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:37 AM   #5
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Arnor and Gondor both served as 'barriers'. Gondor protected Middle-Earth from Mordor and Arnor fought Angmar. Of course the forces of Arnor and Angmar battled a long time before the Ring fell into Frodo's hands, but I guess if it hadn't been for Arnors deeds in the past, Sauron would've been able to conquer most of Middle-Earth a long time ago.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:40 AM   #6
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

Difficult one this. I agree with Jonathan that at different times in history both Arnor and Gondor were important in the battle. But in the end, Arnor failed, at least as a major Power, and only the remnants of its leadership seem to have survived.

On that level, it becomes difficult to say that Arnor could have been greater than Gondor. Remember, Gondor also fought against Sauron in the South all the time that Arnor was fighting in the north, but then went on as the main 'Bulwark of the West' throughout the Third Age long after Arnor had crumbled.

Also, although the Dunadan clearly played a vital part in rooting out any evil forces that managed to get by Gondor, if Gondor had failed the remnants of the forces of Arnor would never have been able to keep back the hords of Mordor.

For those reasons, I would argue that, overall, Gondor was the greater of the two.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:13 AM   #7
Húrin Thalion
Sapling

My theory is what might seem, but is not necessarily, quite obvious, that Gondor played a larger part in the victory, in the end. This is because that even if victory had been made impossible if the Nazgûl had captured the Ring, it was not effectuated by Strider's protection of Frodo. Moreover, fi there ahd been no Aragorn, then Gandalf would have taken Frodo with him since he in the actaul case trusted in that they would meet, no in that way Arnor was not achieving victory. If we take a look at Gondor's accomplishments in the war of the Ring, they are far greater. We all know that a military victory was impossible, but to what gain would Frodo have destroyed the Ring if there had been no Gondor? Since the world would already have been ravaged, pretty little. I think that the valour of the Gondorian people saved western Middle Earth from destruction.

Húrin Thalion... BTW, if any TTF people are here, yea sure, it's me, but be not troubled, I don't think I'll be running haywire here!

Och tjenare Jonathan, Stockholmare är vi båda två!
Húrin Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I think they both played major roles, though Gondor was the bulwark that held Mordor at bay from most of the west, so too did Arnor even though they were worn down by the Witch King and illness. Even so there were some who held vigilence against the forces of Sauron.

Last edited by Snowdog : 07-29-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote