Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2000, 04:27 PM   #1
etherealunicorn

Arthurian themes

In case any of you are fond of stories with this theme to them, I wanted to recommend a few for you.
By Mary Stewart: (In order of reading)
The Crystal Cave
The Hollow Hills
The Last Enchantment
The Wicked Day
In case you have not read these, without spoiling them for anyone, they are the story of Arthur as seen by Merlin

Also, by T.H. White, The Once and Future King, also the story of Arthur, but with no one narrator throughout.

I found all of these to be a lot of fun to read (although there is a scene concerning Morgause in The Once and Future King that will make you cringe), and I particularly love the way Stewart describes a her scenery and surroundings. One tends to really feel inside the work.
Old 05-30-2000, 05:18 PM   #2
Finduilas

Re: Arthurian themes

I agree that the Crystal cave series is very good. I tried to start a discussion about the books, along with several other Arthurian tales on my own message board. Unfortunately I got no takers on the discussion.

Other good ones include the Warlord Trilogy, The Mists of Avalon and Jack Whytes Dream of Eagles Cycle.

I don't think I will repost my takes on these books here (LONG MESSAGE) so if you want to see it, please check my board.
Old 05-30-2000, 07:19 PM   #3
emilsson

This is a good topic . I love the Arthurian legends but I haven´t read any fantasy based on this theme. When I get the chance I´ll see if the library here has some of the books you mentioned.

I´ve seen the Mist of Avalon in bookstores. Who is the author and does it include more than one book?
Old 05-30-2000, 08:43 PM   #4
etherealunicorn

I think that Marion Zimmer Bradley(?) wrote Mists of Avalon, but I don't know if it was a single book or merely one of a series
Old 05-31-2000, 01:10 AM   #5
Finduilas

Yes, the Mists was written by MZB. It was a standalone, but now there is the Forest House (set at the beginning of the Roman occupation of Britain) and the Lady of Avalon, which bridges the two books. The last story in Lady of Avalon is about Vivianne.
Old 05-31-2000, 01:16 AM   #6
bmilder

I've read "The Once and Future King," and also seen the Disney movie "Sword in the Stone"