Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Huck Finn

Who's read it? And what did you think of the so-called "uncomfortable" ending?

Personally, I didn't think it was uncomfortable, but I was confused as to why it ended that way. It just seemed to . . . peter out, as if Twain couldn't think of a real ending. What was the point?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I've read it, and didn't really like it, but it was required reading. I'm not a fan of required reading....

For some reason I cannot remember the ending. I don't remember liking it though.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:29 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

I actually liked this one. I enjoyed the adventure down the Mississippi. Huck saying he'll go to hell for Jim was an intense moment.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #4
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Yes it was. It's not that I think it's a bad book, I just for some reason have a resentment toward reading books as assignments...dunno why.

We saw the movie (the Elijah Wood version ) and they really screwed the book up.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:52 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I liked that part too, gdl96. It was uplifting. Hmmm, I've been thinking of watching the EW version. For, uh, educational purposes, of course . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:59 PM   #6
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I personally think he looked to young to be Huck Finn though...he looks about eight, and Huck Finn is fourteen? Meh. It had some funny bits though.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:59 PM   #7
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Hmm....I had to read Huck Finn for a 'before school' report over the summer, and I know I wound up liking the book....but I can't remember how it ended. Guess it doesn't say much for the ending, huh, if no one remembers. But the EW version of the movie was cute if not totally true to the book itself. I heard that there was a Mickey Rooney version that was the closest to 'word for word' kind of thing.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 12:15 AM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

We watched the Elijah Wood version in my English class. I haven't read the book, so I don't know how it compares. The movie was good, though. Jim's Zulu Warrior outfit was hilarious. *laughs just thinking about it*

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:59 PM   #9
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
The book was ok, but I think I like Tom Sawyer better.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #10
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Goodoh, I didn't need to start a new thread for this.

I love Huck Finn, it's one of my all-time faves. Does anyone remember the bit where Huck and Jim are talking about the French language? My favourite part.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

That's a cool part, yeah, but I liked the Goth poet part. It's amazing that he was able to predict the onslaught of these self-indulgent vampires (sorry all who represent that remark).

As for the ending, it's ironic, isn't it? Slavery was sanctioned by the US government at the time, so it would have been the same as letting the robbers get away if he had done what we would now call the politically correct ending. He subtly makes the reader long for Jim to escape, and when he doesn't, the reader begins to think like an abolitionist.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #12
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm

As for the ending, it's ironic, isn't it? Slavery was sanctioned by the US government at the time, so it would have been the same as letting the robbers get away if he had done what we would now call the politically correct ending. He subtly makes the reader long for Jim to escape, and when he doesn't, the reader begins to think like an abolitionist.
I can't remember a huge amount about the ending right now, I'll get back to you on that one. But Jim was free in the end. Are you talking about close to the end, or the end-end?

Mark Twain is a genius. No doubt.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #13
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

I haven't read the book in a while (probably because i don't own it) but i had a hunch that i could find the book on the internet, and i was right. All i had to do was type in "Huckleberry Finn" on Google and click on the first link. I think that the ending was satisfying enough, and it was right for it to be so abrupt because the book was written from Huck's point of view. So obviosly a boy wouldn't care so much to make a great ending, and from his point of view, it isn't the end of the stroy, he goes on living. My biggest dissapointment with the EW version was the fact that they didn't put in the part about how Huck kept the bullet on a chain, because i just thought that ws the coolest thing. After reading the book, i promised myself that if i ever got shot and survived, i would do that. As i was only 8 or nine at the time, i didn't think about the fact that unless i was shot on accident, the police would have to keep the bullet for evedence. Obviously in the book it was Tom what got shot, not Huck, but it was a part of the story that i wish they had kept in the story. Ennyway, EW was soooo cute in the story. I love his Southern accent! I especially love the way he says "Jeeum!" for Jim.