Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #1
Ithilwin
Elven Warrior

The Valar and...

After thinking about it,I noted that the Valar have many similarities with the Greek gods;Manwe and Varda are their king and queen,as Zeus and Hera are for the Greek gods;Ulmo loved the sea,as Poseidon;Mandos and Lorien were the spirits of death and dreams and were brethren,like Death and Sleep in greek mythology;and Tulkas is something like Ares

I don't know if this is supposed to be here.I thought it would fit best here,if it's not close it
Ithilwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

hey... never thought of that

Ithy my old pal... *hugs* i haven't seen you for such a long time....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Re: The Valar and...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ithilwin
After thinking about it,I noted that the Valar have many similarities with the Greek gods;Manwe and Varda are their king and queen,as Zeus and Hera are for the Greek gods;Ulmo loved the sea,as Poseidon;Mandos and Lorien were the spirits of death and dreams and were brethren,like Death and Sleep in greek mythology;and Tulkas is something like Ares

I don't know if this is supposed to be here.I thought it would fit best here,if it's not close it
I read somewhere that the 12 Valar and the Halls of Mandos are similar in concept to Norse Mythology..? I'm pretty sure there are 12 gods and a hall of the dead in Norse Mythology but I'm not 100% sure.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

I noticed the same thing when I read The Valaquenta, and I even tried to do a correspondence chart, but I never was able to make one that was completely satisfactory. There was a discussion where this idea was mentioned (perhaps the Valaquenta discussion?), and I think the Norse idea is more accurate. But still, it is fun to think about. I always enjoyed Greek mythology. I had Tulkas as Ares, too, Ithilwin.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Gimli

I think of Tulkas as Thor, but Odin the Goth, Glutter of the Slain doesn't really correspond with Manwe, does he? He is more like Zeus, but more like the Archangel Michael. Ulmo is strikingly like Poiseidon, to me, and Aule is like unto Hesphaitos. Yavanna is Demeter or Persephone, not Hera. Orome I cannot place in either mythos, except as a male Artemis. There is no Apollo, thank Iluvater, or Aphrodite, that I can see.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
Ithilwin
Elven Warrior

well,whoever the Valar are associate with,they really look alike the Greek gods
Old 05-04-2003, 05:37 PM   #7
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Depends on the God.
Manwë as Zeus would be unnacpetable. The Noble Manwë compared to one such as Zeus, no. The same as Varda to Hera.
The principal difference between the Valar and the Greek Gods is the qualities that they share. The Valar are noble gods if you like while their greek counterparts seem very petty compared to them.
Although I like the comparison between Námo and Irmo to Thanatos (god of death) and Hypnos (god of sleep).
Ulmo to Poseidon is also very good. Tulkas as Ares, no. Their powers are not on the same scale, while Tulkas could beat Melkor, Ares could not even beat his sister Athena.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Manwë and Varda like Zeus and Hera? *laughs* Oh no definately not. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are the rulers among the gods. Zeus unnumerable escapades is totally nothing like Manwë (unless Tolkien left out some interesting things about him ) and Hera's jealousy doesn't fit Varda.

Ulmo does fit Poseidon and Neptunus. But I think that comes mostly from the fact that they are all 'gods' of the sea and that they're are only so many ways to depict them.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

the valr are not as man-like as the greek gods-they serve different purposes. But I can't imagine there are no similarities, it's fairly hard to create a mythology without borrowing from the past. All mythologies do it, no less then Tolkien did.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #10
Anglorfin
Alasailon

To me Tulkas has always been a "Thor".

Vairë, the spouse of Mandos and the weaver of the cloths has always reminded me of the three Fates from Greek mythology. They also wove huge tapestries out of threads. The only difference is that it was their choice to say who died and who lived.

I think all the other ones were mentioned. Ulmo is an obvious Poseidon. I am not sure if any of the other Valar fit as well as that. Maybe you can compare Melkor or Sauron to "Loki", the Norse trickster god. Saruman might also apply to that.

edit/ I can also see Oromë as being "Heimdal", the Norse god who stands guard at Bifrost the rainbow bridge. Heimdal had a great horn that would sound at the beginning of Ragnarok, or the Last Battle. Much akin to Tolkien's Dagor Dagorlad.

And also if a parallel were to be made between the Halls of Mandos and any other mythos, Valhalla comes to my mind. It is the place in Norse mythology where dead warriors to go to await the coming of Ragnarok where they will fight on the side of the gods against the giants.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 05-06-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #11
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Tolkien got the majority of his ideas from Norse mythology, not Greek, so I don't really see how one could compare the Valar to Greek gods.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:38 PM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I agree, more Norse than Greek. I see Tulkas as more Thor-ic than Aresian; though of course, none of them are the same.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:05 AM   #13
Ithilwin
Elven Warrior

I never said Tolkien was inspired of Greek mythology to create the Valar,I just noted that there are some similarities between them.They can't be compared
Old 05-08-2003, 09:50 AM   #14
Maedhros
The Tall

You might find a more striking resemblance between the characters of Túrin Turambar and Oedipus.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #15
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
You might find a more striking resemblance between the characters of Túrin Turambar and Oedipus.
Oh, yeah. I forgot that. Good link. Poor Turin and Oedipus. (Though I think Oedipus' story is a bit worse)
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:38 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just found the old piece of paper where I wrote down for fun which Vala would correspond roughly to which Greek god. Of course as everyone said, there can be no true comparison because of the drastic personality differences between the Valar vs. the Greek gods, but it was just a fun exercise. Of all mythology, I am most familiar with Greek, which is why I happened to go with that. I couldn't think of one that would correspond to Melkor, but I suppose you could say that he embodied in one entity what each Greek god had a little of in his or her personality (as in, if Melkor were spread out among the Valar, you'd have the Greek gods. Just a funny thought. ). Also, when I thought of these, I was thinking more in terms of the "realm" of each rather than the personality or who they were married to.

Varda = Hera
Manwe = Zeus
Ulmo = Poseidon
Aule = Hephaestus (sp)
Yavanna = Demeter
Mandos = Thanatos
Vaire = Nemesis ? (Goddess of destiny)
Lorien = Morpheus (god of dreams)
Este = Asclepius (god of healing)
Nienna = couldn't think of one, but I'm sure there is something that corresponds.
Tulkas = Ares (not satisfactory, but in terms of their area of interest -- fighting -- they are similar in a general way)
Nessa = Hermes
Orome = Athena
Vana = Adonis
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:29 PM   #17
Strongbow
Hobbit

I dont think that it would fit well with any mythology other than Norse. I will sit down tonight and try to chart it out for us : )
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote