Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2000, 12:19 PM   #21
Eruve

Re: Recipe From The Fell Winter

I tried to make the mouse thing, but the cat kept getting in the way!
Old 09-02-2000, 01:26 PM   #22
anduin

Since we are on the subject of recipes....which BTW is a great idea for a thread Eruve .......I want Gil's recipe for Tomato Gravy!! In my husband's family on the Casto side Granny makes tomato gravy and the only people who really like it are the Casto's....wives excluded. I think over time I will learn to like it and each time I try it I like it a bit more. Granny is the only one that can really make it the right way, however, Mike's dad has made it several times and it has received Mike's (my hubby) approval. I am just curious what you consider Tomato Gravy and how you make yours. When you mentioned it on another thread I was completely surprised, because no one I know except his family has ever heard of it. BTW, we aren't talking about stewed tomatoes here, right??
Old 09-03-2000, 02:16 AM   #23
Darth Tater

Tomato gravy? What's that?
Old 09-03-2000, 04:06 AM   #24
Gilthalion

Tomato Gravy!

Anduin your Granny must be a remarkable lady indeed!
[c] [/c]
I hope she exercised her right to vote! :lol:

Tomato gravy is a natural delight. WHOAA!!!!!!!

(Gilthalion jerked back in startlement as Miss Kitty leaped across the table between his face and the computer screen! He hastily recomposed himself and resumed his discussion.)

I love it first thing in the morning, served on hot buttered biscuits with sausage, juice, and coffee. And it's great when you have Breakfast for Supper!

If you can make a brown gravy or a white sauce, you can make this!

TOMATO GRAVY

3 tbl flour
1/3 stick butter (or bacon grease)
salt, pepper, garlic, oregano
1 can chopped tomatoes (or 2 med. fresh tomatoes)
water, wine, or milk (depending on taste)

Saute onions in butter with garlic or garlic salt (to taste), a dash of oregano (if desired), and black pepper. Add drained chopped tomatoes, stir, and turn off heat. Set saute aside. Make a rhue with butter or bacon grease and flour. Take off heat and stir in flour. Add tomato-onion saute. Add flour by the pinch to thicken as needed. Add wine for more liquid as needed. Stir on heat until a good gravy consistency. Serve hot. Refrigerate remainder, if any.

Old 09-03-2000, 11:52 AM   #25
dunedain lady

Re: Darth Tater

No, you don't have to cut the Thingamujigs into pieces if you don't want to, but it's a bit unwieldy if you try to eat it in one big piece. Alternately, you could just not cook it, and eat it with a spoon. Yummmmy!
Old 09-03-2000, 01:15 PM   #26
anduin

Re: Tomato Gravy!

I will have to print that out Gil and take it the next time I go over to West Virgina and compare it to the way Granny makes hers. I showed it to Mike and he says he has never payed much attention to the way Granny makes her gravy. (Gee, he better pay attention if he wants Tomato Gravy in say 10 years or so.....Granny isn't getting any younger. )

It is interesting that you mentioned wine......we were in New Haven, CT visiting his sister and her hubby and went to a wonderful seafood restaurant. Mike ordered some sort of dish that had a tomato sauce over shrimp that tasted to him very much like Granny's Tomato Gravy, but the menu description said it contained Vodka! He said, "Ah ha!! I think I know a secret ingredient to Granny's gravy!"

I like Granny's Tomato Gravy a little bit, I think in a couple of years I will like it even more (I am determined to be a full-fledged Casto ) But your recipe sounds absolutly delicious!! The one thing that makes it a bit strange for me is the color.....it is such a strange color, kinda pink, kinda salmon, kinda....i don't know exactly. What color does your's turn out to be??
Old 09-03-2000, 03:52 PM   #27
Gilthalion

Re: Tomato Gravy!

Same color. What you have is basically a white sauce that has a lot of tomato in it. Mix the colors and you get a pinkish. If the sauce browns a little, it goes salmon. Red wine obviously would add more color than a white. My Grandma just used water.

I haven't tried vodka in my cooking.

I once worked in a seafood restaurant where they served something called Shrimp Vermouth. I'm going to try one day to recreate this recipe because the owner of the restaurant is dead, and the former manager won't tell me!

Don't hold your breath waiting for this one...