Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #1
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Characters

I'll start by C&Ping From the FW Thread:

Eigath is the son of King Arsun, and the heir to the Crown of the realm of Canrath. As a youth, he was always scholarly and educated, and interested in the various cultures of the world; in particular, he was interested in the Cthalgar, a tribe of barbarians from long ago whose influence once spanned almost all of the North-lands. He delved deep into tomes of lore and history, attempting to learn everything he could of them. Eventually, he realised that the source of their power had been in front of him all along; their worship of Vilkroth, King of the dark Gods and far greater than the barbarian Gods, gave them His favour, and the ability to overrun their neighbours in their time. After learning of the source of their power, he began to engage in secret midnight rituals, and worshipped the Demon-God in hopes of gaining power. As a natural result, he gained an intense hatred of all things holy to Eltarn, the greatest enemy of Vilkroth; when he took the throne, he changed his name to Gulstan, which in the tongue of the Cthalgar meant Black King.

Fallos was the High Priest of Eltarn during his reign. He was a fairly simplistic man, a bit unusual for one of his rank, enjoying the simple things of life more than riches and wealth. He was a content and practical man, but a bit stern on sticking to the rules. When he first heard the rumours of Eigath, he did not believe them; as such a thing had never happened before, he would not believe it had happened now. The Queen, who suspected her son's apostasy, begged him to heal the unnaturally aged and dying King, but he would not, due to a rule made by one of the High Priests of long ago, that the members of the Priesthood would not involve themselves in matters of politics and succession to the throne. When he realised the truth in the rumours, he was horrified, and by the time he found out, it was too late to save the life of the King. He was terribly shaken, and blamed himself wholly for the whole happening, but stayed true to his faith and beliefs, not compromising them for possible solutions to this which would go against the teachings he stood for. He began to age quickly due to the terrible stress upon himself, and when the Scrolls of Law (along with other artifacts) were laid to rest, he stepped down from the High Priesthood, and lived in peaceful quiet, constantly repenting of his mistakes; he died peacefully shortly thereafter, still blaming himself, but confident that the matter would be taken care of by his God.

Kwinetha is the wife of Arsun, and (as a natural result thereof) the mother of Eigath. While not much younger than the King, she is very beautiful for her age (ever see Glennis John [or whatever her name is] in the Court Jester? Think her a few years older, and with a white streak through her hair). She is a very noble and proud person. It was she who first tried to warn Fallos of Eigath's dark ways; it was she who begged him to heal King Arsun, and keep him on the throne. When Eigath ascends to the throne, she stays true to her faith, never once even in name or appearance accepting his apostasy for her own. As a mother, she blames herself for his fall, and any love she may have for him is drowned out in the need she feels to right this wrong. She attempts to convince Fallos to attend the ritual of his coronation and assassinate him then. She remains a constant thorn in his side, and a dominant person in under-ground organizations that remain faithful to Eltarn and oppose Eigath, and is a very influential behind-the-scenes figure in attempts to overthrow or assassinate him. Why he allowed her to remain alive so long is a mystery, unless it were to preserve face or merely to as a form of amusement. Eventually, she did die, on the altar of Vilkroth and under the knife of Eigath. Yet to the end, she never lost her dignity, or her unswerving faith.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
And here are a couple of ladies from my other trilogy.
Armine is a young child, only ten years of age, but in her is a simple purity and an undying faith in the works of Eltarn, and trusts him to take care of all things. Because of her tremendous faith, she has great ability with the supernatural, which comes in useful at crucial story times (one in especial).

Tara was captured as a very young girl by a party of raiding Dark-Elves, with the intention of sacrificing her to their goddess Zharha. However, the priestesses recognized within her a tremendous amount of untapped power, almost great enough to rival a deity. Rather than sacrificing her, they bound her with spells of control, and raised her as one of them. She was inducted into their Sisterhood at an early age, and acted as a priestess of Zharha for some time. When she was freed from the spells of the priestesses by Armine, her name and early past were unknown, and she was named Tara, which is Elvish for "Pure lady" (though I will probably change it to the Elder Tongue equivalent) as a substitute. She is tortured by visions and dreams of the atrocities she committed as a member of the Sisterhood, and ever is her face dark and troubled. She views her task (to give her life to put Zharha in her proper place) as a form of penance, or atonement for her terrible deeds. When it is done at last, her first and last peaceful smile graces her lips, as her body lies on the ground.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

What page did you find your characters on?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem

Hmm...I don't know. I just ran a search for Fallos (didn't think that'd have too many results); didn't note the page number.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-21-2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Okay, well, I just found mine the hard way.

Quote:
I suppose I'll start with Orsoul.

He's a rather rough and cold individual. He grew up in the town of Carball during the time of the war between the Rainbow Order (My order of wizards) and the dark wizards. That was a huge war spanning many years and was just winding down at the time Orsoul was growing up. He was eight years old when the Rainbow Order got to his village, which was one of the last hold-outs of the dark wizards. There his father, Badaragon, died, along with everyone else of his youth.

He managed to survive and slip away from the village and what happened next hardened him. He was unwanted and uncared for in a wild and sparsely populated area. He lived though, stealing his food sometimes and doing what it took to learn the ways of the world.

He sensed in his mind a calling to return to a place, and it gave him a direction. However he didn't trust this voice and didn't follow it, avoiding obeying its direction because he felt that it would lead him to evil.

When he became older he was able to make his own choices and decide for himself what was right, and regardless of what they'd done to him and his family in the past, he decided that the Rainbow Order had been in the right. So he joined its side and became a wizard.

Because of his history and a darkness they sensed about him, the wizards distrusted him. Another reason for this was that he had a stronger magic with him than any of they did. He swiftly saw their weakness, and new things occasionally came to his mind, new powers that he learned when they came to him. He was contemptuous of the wizards though and didn't teach them these new powers, keeping them to himself. In mockery of the wizards he put on black robes rather than white, he wore the traditional garb of a dark wizard.

He gained some influence in the Rainbow Castle, though his manner and behavior made most wizards shun his presence.

The only one that Orsoul would grant the priviledge of respect was the Leader of the Rainbow Council, which was the government body that had huge influence over the entire world. Because of the friction between Orsoul and other individuals and Orsoul's lack of good behavior, the Council Leader separated him from Elerev by sending him out to the Flame of Darkest Night, to guard it from being used by dark wizards.

The Flame of Darkest Night was one of the three bases that a godlike being had set upon the earth. This was Vorcol's base from which he reached the world. The Rainbow Order had shielded it with magic to prevent it from being contacted or being used as a source of power by dark wizards. They gave it to Orsoul to command the defenses of because it needed someone powerful to watch over it, and they had a plan of how to avoid having any future dark wizards from coming into being.

When a dark wizard touched or accessed any part of the Flame of Darkest Night, the magic would be absorbed into him. When a good wizard touched it, it caused the wizard tremendous pain and the conflict was visible.

Orsoul would therefore use this as a test to discover which kind of a wizard the trainees were, whether they were evil or good. An individual could turn evil afterward and there'd be nothing they could do about it, but if he had dark intentions from the beginning, his wickedness would be exposed in this way.

So that's basically what his history is before The Uirlon Cord begins.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'll now turn to one of the major villains in The Uirlon Cord.

Baarorg served as an officer in the army of Venaros, a borderland country and one with a smaller rulership that lacked a good deal of control of some of the tribes and barbarian elements in the country.

Venaros was a country nearby a much larger country named Aharvadon. Aharvadon had a great military and was aggressive against the smaller countries that it was close to, because it was in a growing stage and wanted to broaden its influence and control.

Barbarian tribes in Venaros caused offense against Aharvadon and they were quick to react. The Rainbow Council gave their approval of Aharvadon's action because of tribal disputes inside Venaros and its belief that the small country were vicious savages while Aharvadon had strength, unity and order.

Baarorg united tribes with the small government of Venaros because he had once been among them. He knew the terrain, and defeated the enemy at every turn. Aharvadon was forced to give up eventually, and out of the whole ordeal Venaros grew strong and unified. But during this war, Crondarga, the only sorcerer who had survived Carball's destruction, was able to reach Baarorg, poisoning him against the Rainbow Order forever by destroying his family and pretending it was the Council’s doing.

Maddened by grief and rage, Baarorg left his now safe country to seek revenge. Baarorg’s reputation as a master general grew even further when he joined the king of Erena and assisted him by defeating the pirates that preyed on the ships conducting trade between Erena and Hornad, another country.

From there Baarorg began to gather military power to himself in Erena, finally weakening the king severely and becoming in control of the country himself. The king was only king in name.

Baarorg launched an invasion upon a neighboring country on a pretext and the Rainbow Council saw him as what he was, a dangerous and aggressive threat.

But before long, the Rainbow Order declared that what Baarorg was doing was making foes and then defeating them, and it decreed that his army and its worldwide supporters would only be spared from justice if Baarorg was removed from its lead. This was just what Baarorg had been waiting for, and instead of stepping down or being stepped down, as the Rainbow Council had expected him to do, he brought his long carefully laid plans into action and invaded Elerev. His revenge strike for the deaths of his family was brought into motion. He caught the Rainbow Order completely by surprise and advanced through their territories like a deadly whirlwind, destroying two armies that the Council sent out to stop him. Each of them should have been strong enough to counter him, but none were sufficient. In the end he had the Rainbow Council itself besieged.

His victory would have been complete if not for one mistake: waiting on rushing the gate for Crondarga’s magical items. In a great battle outside the very walls of the Rainbow Castle, his host was trapped and finally defeated. Baarorg was banished to the Mountains of Eseren and imprisoned there for fifteen years.

There The Uirlon Cord starts. In the prologue, Baarorg is rescued from his imprisonment by a dark wizard and they begin plotting once again the defeat of the Rainbow Order.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:49 PM   #7
goodwarlord
Elven Warrior

here it is Lief

I'll start with the good ones.
Kiron:A wizard that was born near the mouth of the river hence his nick-name, the man of the mouth.
Perik Goddemflie: He is a begent which means "little" on the planet of Urtins. He was a strong assassin from the South, who was chosen to seek Volcan because of his role in destroying many evil leaders.
Banglen:A member of the Red Beast Rangers, he doesn't play a large role in the book.
Gurn Smallwood: He is a man, and represents the town of Helenwood.
Yernbeck: He is a tryga from the town that I mentioned earlier, Helenwood. Tryga means "Very Large" on the planet of Urtins. He is in a small rank of the helenwood army but a good fighter.
Derbane:One of my most important trygas ever to be in my stories. Since Helenwood is ruled by a queen, this tryga the goes by the name of Derbane is the queen's loyal assistant.
Tegron:A wizard that was sent to protect Urtins from all of the titans that once ruled before man came to take over. He is one of the strongest men alive, and a brutal fighter at that. He went to live by the begents near the mines and he eventually created an establishment called "Roundhill" for all of the begents that were run out of their homes,the mines.

Next is the evil beings
Deadrin:Ruler,dictatr, and king of the city that is known as Camala. Deadrin provides a connection between Volcan and Camala.

Segafram:The ruler that created a sword that was capable of raising the dead, that very sword was lost and found in the hands of all that is good and wonderful. Segafram is the supreme ruler of evil and after his first death, took shelter in the fires of Volcan.

The knights of Raam: Bantur, Jorthantur and Blecktine were once men but taken by the evil powers of Segafram in his first stage. Before Segafram's first death, the ruler of evil gave the three knights power that could ensure them enternal life, unless they are all be-headed.

Finally there will be noe section of weapons.
The sword of the Flame: The great and all powerful wizard Kiron, found this sword that had a legend. The legend has it that it could destroy a large amount of evil in the world. It was once a strong gate-keeper's sword, until the gate-keeper was possessed by evil and dropped the sword. This gate-keeper's name is "Flame" for the spirit that went inside of him was on fire.
Kiron's father passed the sword along to him on his deathbed and now it will be cast into the fires of Volcan, hopefully destroying the recently rising Segafram.

There you go Lief Erikson, i hope that this helps and feel free to post on that one thread ok?
goodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem

I only have one named weapon, Truthbringer. It's a blessed sword, one of the Twelve Blades of the Daywalkers. If the flat of the blade is touched to someone's flesh, then no lie may pass from their mouth.

And no, it's not Wonder-Woman's fallback weapon.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
goodwarlord
Elven Warrior

sound's cool

when can i read it?!
goodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 02:13 AM   #10
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

that sounds detailed and im jealous

the only characters ive got are still really losely done except for the main (right now her name is character A, or for short, i loveingly call her A)
and maybe her two friends ae done a bit more than the rest. the third main (c) isn''t quite polished because she dies anyways.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:23 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Is that story long? In my novel, I've found that as I go on, I develop the characters more and more. In the start I found many of them boring, but by the end of Part 1 I had an opportunity to kill one off, and I couldn't bear to. So development can come as your story gets bigger, but it's good to focus on the characters.

Giving background or history for the characters helps, but it's not at all necessary for their development. Take Han Solo for instance. In the Star Wars movies, he had no background or history (except to say he's a smuggler) and he became one of the most main characters of the original series.

So if you know you have a problem with your characters (like I did), you should probably work on them as the story develops. If nothing in the story gives you any inspiration for the characters, then I don't really know what to suggest.

Anything imperfect that somebody does is important to note, for that can be a sign of what a specific individual is like. Anything bad that a person does is obviously important, and any kind of reaction they'd make which someone else wouldn't make is a distinguishing feature.