Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2000, 04:52 PM   #1
Eruve

WOO HOO!!! I've found another Figure Skating fan!!

As much as I hate to give Gil another place to post, I can't resist. Another FS fan!! Yes! Those who like JRRT and FS seem to be rather few and far between. There used to be Galadriel here last year but she seems to have moved on...
So Gil, who are your faves? What's your favourite discipline? Ever go to any events? I'm going to my first live competition this year, Skate Canada, and I can't wait! One of my goals in life is to go to World's; I'm shooting for Washingto DC in 2003. I can steer you to some good FS message boards if you're interested...

I just reread your post, Gil, and I hadn't noticed you used to actually skate... Cool! Ever compete against anyone who went on to the elite level way back when?
Old 09-26-2000, 09:10 PM   #2
Gilthalion

Re: WOO HOO!!! I've found another Figure Skating fan!!

Uhm hooom.

Uh, actually, I don't skate!

First of all, it was very difficult for the Mrs to even get me to wear shoes!

Here in the subtropics, there is not much opportunity for skating!

We did go see the last big ice show, with a host of the older (20-30 something) performers. They were magnificent! I even recognized some of their names, Scott whatsisface who is balding now and recovered from cancer, but I don't follow closely enough to remember the names or know who's on top!

We just like to watch...

"Ain't that purty, Paw?"

"Yup. Shore nuff is purty, Maw."

I have a good eye for it, but have never studied it. But we always stop the channel surfing when we run across it!

We like all of it. The couple's freestyle (is that right?) is our favorite. We even sometimes disagree with the judges!

I never skated. I fenced! I shot a target bow!

But we love to watch!

================================================== ========
P.S. Why, I may make Elven Lord tonight! Better hurry!
Old 09-26-2000, 11:48 PM   #3
Eruve

There's no reason to hurry when I have almost 50 posts to go. I'll be a smelly orc at that rate.

Sorry I could have sworn in that Olympic thread you said you used to skate. And yes, I wondered where you skated in Alabama. But then I know of people from New Orleans who skate, That's not so far from you. And a lot of the pros are based in Las Vegas. Michelle Kwan trains in California... It's possible.

Pairs. Yeah, that's nice. I like all the disciplines, but I like ice dance the best. At Skate Canada, all the current world champions are supposed to compete. I really like the relatively recent Canadian pair, Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. They will be world champions some day. I also like the current champions Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze. (They're from Russia, can you tell?) It's funny, I used to disagree with the judges a whole lot more before when I wasn't on the web and didn't know as much. You really learn a lot on the boards.
Old 09-27-2000, 12:02 AM   #4
Gilthalion

You're probably right! If I knew what I was looking at I'd know why he shouldn't have attempted that triple axle! Instead I'm pointing at the screen, "He fall down and go boom!"

Most of the time, I'm just looking and saying, "Gawrsh! Don't that look Purty!"

We recently, in the last couple of years with the new hockey team, got a little opportunity for ice skating, here in Mobile. There's talk of making a permanent rink at Hank Aaron Stadium. The Mrs says she would like to ice skate. I don't know if she can talk me onto them, but I'll be happy to go watch everytime she wants to go!

The dances ARE the best. I like the pairs better than the individuals, when the pair is just perfect. Otherwise, the singles usually seem to average a better performance.

================================================== ========
Take your time! I sat around all day Sunday afternoon into Sunday night plugging away... just to do it! Guess who's absolutely burnt out and ready for a vacation? :/