Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #61
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I've read a few Blumes, but I'll stay with Cleary. I mean, even aside from Ramona (who did lots of things that I always wanted to do, like squeeze all the toothpaste out of the tube) and Howie, there's Henry Huggins and Runaway Ralph.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:02 AM   #62
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
As a kid, I focused almost exclusively on superhero comic books, but occasionally I'd let an actual book slip through. The Hobbit was great, of course. As a really little kid, I loved those - grrr I forget what they were called, but that whole series of little hardcovers for early readers: The Pokey Little Puppy, There's a Monster at the End of This Book (featuring Sesame Street's Grover), etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Loved Maurice Sendak. And above all, I loved Henry and Ribsy and the Ramona books. I read somewhere once upon a time that all people who read as children can be evenly divided as either Beverly Clearys or Judy Blumes, and I find that to be quite true. Myself, I've never read a Blume book, but I devoured Ms. Cleary's tomes. The question is, why should this be true, that you either like one or the other of those two authors? Who here are the Clearys, and who the Blumes?
You aren't by chance talking about Golden Books, are you? I've got many of them at home, like The Pokey Little Puppy, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Sesame Street ones, and many more. Some are over 20 years old.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:25 AM   #63
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Who here are the Clearys, and who the Blumes?
I liked both - probably Blume slightly more, but generally, I devoured both.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 AM   #64
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I can't remember the rest of them, but when I was younger, I absolutely adored Enid Blyton (Loved the Faraway Tree) and Judy Blume.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:36 PM   #65
Huan
Elven Warrior

Golden Books! Yes indeed. Thanks, Cassiopeia.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #66
Orion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I can't remember the rest of them, but when I was younger, I absolutely adored Enid Blyton (Loved the Faraway Tree) and Judy Blume.
I used to like Enid Blyton´s books too, especially the ones where were the 4 kids (Jack, Anne Philip and Dinah..?) and the cockatoo (don´t know what that series is called in English..) Those were really good - and I remember wanting to have a cockatoo when I read those..
Old 04-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The bird was called Kiki. I don't know if they had a name: but they were the X of Adventure series. They were great.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #68
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The Princess and the Goblins was a favorite of mine as a child.
Doctor Seuss is to blame for the better part of my psychosis.
Tom Sawyer, Robinson Crusoe, the wind in the willows...

Other than that, I started reading my mother's college textbooks around third grade.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:39 PM   #69
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Quote:
Other than that, I started reading my mother's college textbooks around third grade.
Wow! I thought I was the only one who did that! Except they were my aunt's. I found them in my grandma's attic one day. I didn't always understand them, but I would look up all the big words in the dictionary.

For lighter reading though, I liked the Berinstein Bears books. And of course Dr. Suess. Who doesn't love Dr. Suess?