Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
TariCalmcacil
Hobbit

Location: a bedroom, a house, a street, a town, a state, a country, a continent, a hemisphere, a earth, a solar system, a unvierse
Star Trek, anyone?

Hey all. I looked around and I was suprised to find no one started a Star Trek thread created by Gene Roddenbury.

I'm not a hard core trekkie but I happen to be looking for people who are... so yah... if anyone likes Star Trek, reply?

I haven't read many of the Star Trek books, I'm currently reading one of the Next Gen ones... (they have a lot) Its the Q Series.

I've also read First Contact. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I shall as soon as I can. =)

As for the series my favorites have to be Next Generation and Voyager. I like Next Gen better, for reasons. Voyager is the newer series but I feel more attracted to the Crew of Next Gen. (BTW--Nemesis was a great movie--saw it five times meself)

Just a note: I've been looking for some hardcore trekkies to help me with a writing project. If anyone has any good Star Trek links (with information on the Star Trek-verse [thats the best way I can word that] or anything related to Star Trek)

Thanks a bunch ya'll.

-Tari

Love is the feeling when you look in his eye, and know with a tear that you are going to get by.

Once upon a time, I was born then I died. Thats the whole story. It's the end.
TariCalmcacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Hmmmm ... well, I'm not a trekkie, and probably don't qualify as a trekker either. Yes, there is a difference. A big difference. The trekkers will know it, and probably be insulted if you call them trekkies. Anyway, I don't think I could really be called either. I KNOW I'm not a trekkie.

However, I do like Star Trek, and my father and I have spent many hours discussing how illogical the Vulcans truly are (long story). Next Generation is my favorite of the series, too.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

It all depends on your interpretation of logic. Obviously, your logic is flawed. Vulcans rock!

Anyway, I have little Star Trek experience, limited to the Voyager TV series, which I like a lot.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Oh, wait, I forgot. I've also seen (a few times) one old Star Trek movie, called the Undiscovered Continent, I think.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
It all depends on your interpretation of logic. Obviously, your logic is flawed. Vulcans rock!

Anyway, I have little Star Trek experience, limited to the Voyager TV series, which I like a lot.
I've read my dictionary. If you want to know a specific version, it's Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary (1996).

Actually, the Vulcans are one of my favorite Star Treak races. But they certainly aren't completely logical from a human standpoint. Nor would a being with none of the characteristics typically considered emotions be one of the good guys. For example, kindness/compassion is considered an emotion.

In one episode, Spock basically says that, as a Vulcan, kindness isn't in his nature. Isn't that a bit odd, as he's half-human? And why did his father marry a human? Because, logically, he thought she was the best match for him?! Or was it out of an emotion -- love?

Spock, especially, in choosing to ignore his human side, is attempting to separate part of himself from his whole being. Now, I ask you, how logical is that? To try to separate a being from itself?

Also, Vulcans seem to expect (want?) humans to be logical, but not other races, like Klingons. Why is that, since humans and Vulcans aren't of the same race either?

I have always thought that if the Vulcans ARE going by the human definition of logic, and they seek a goal that would not cause pain and desruction, they should perhaps try to eliminate the passions -- not necessarily all emotions.

However, I cannot prove that the Vulcans are illogical, because their definition of logic may differ from my own; Vulcans may not use the same definition as humans do.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 02:40 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Being a literature forum discussion, I think the intent of this thread was to specifically discuss literature inspired by Star Trek.

I don't care much for franchise literature myself... in some cases I deplore it.

I'm familiar enough with Trek, though, that I can help out with whatever this project is you're working on, TariCalmcacil. To some extent, anyway. I have one of those Star Trek chronologies or encyclopediae or whatever sitting around back home, but home is a little ways away from where I am right now...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:55 AM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

TREKKER-TREKKOR

I AM EITHER OF THE ABOVE
Also a fan of B-5 and DS-9 both of which had great story lines and graphics.
...convention attendee...letter writer....autograph seeker

......feel free to chat, email, messenger, anytime on this subject.....
...........spock1tos@hotmail.com is messenger address
Old 03-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

I'm going to stick my neck out here, but am I the only sci-fi fan who doesn't like Star Trek? I mean, it's pretty trite stuff, you could hardly line it up alongside Card or Niven let alone Banks or Gibson. Or am I missing the point? Is it just Friends with tighter clothes?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #9
TariCalmcacil
Hobbit

Location: a bedroom, a house, a street, a town, a state, a country, a continent, a hemisphere, a earth, a solar system, a unvierse
Woah!

Hey... responses galore.

Umm... sorry if I insulted anyone with the trekkie/trekker thingy... I don't fully know what was going on with that whole seeming ordeal but I was merely trying to point an arrow in the direction of people who like star trek. (I don't even know the difference... does... Whats the difference?)

The friends I have that like star trek are partial to the Borg.

So we have to talk about literature? I haven't read a lot of it. Only two so far, what's good out there in Trek-Lit?

Thanks Spock and IronParrot for their offerings.

JohnnyRod I don't think that Star Trek is merely a show with tighter clothes.. Its the stuff beyond that. Now, I'm not a superbrain on Trek...they have a lot of ideals that are evident. It's a good show. (and books/ideas) Now, it all depends on your whole view. If you don't like ST then its not going to seem like a lot... So its not that your missing the point, its just that you don't see it. Which...could be missing in a point of view but its not.

I think that was really confusing... if anyone understands lemme know. BTW--I can be contacted at TheTolkienUniverse@quackquack.com or Love_Peace_Insanity@Yahoo.com

Love is the feeling when you look in his eye, and know with a tear that you are going to get by.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

VIVA LA DIFFERENCE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TariCalmcacil
[B]Hey... responses galore.

(I don't even know the difference... does... Whats the difference?)
TREKKIES ARE THE REALLY YOUNG CRAZIES WHO JUMPED ON THE BANDWAGON BACK WHEN TOS WAS JUST ABOUT TO GO OFF THE AIR..AND THEN CONTINUED BEING KNOWN AS THAT. TREKKOR IS WHAT WE ORIGINAL FANS OF THE SHOW PREFER, ALSO SPELLED TREKKER. IT DIFFERENTIATES US FROM THE TOTALLY CRAZY AND PUTS US IN A SEPARATE PADDED CELL
Old 03-08-2003, 11:03 PM   #11
TariCalmcacil
Hobbit

Re: VIVA LA DIFFERENCE

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
TREKKIES ARE THE REALLY YOUNG CRAZIES WHO JUMPED ON THE BANDWAGON BACK WHEN TOS WAS JUST ABOUT TO GO OFF THE AIR..AND THEN CONTINUED BEING KNOWN AS THAT. TREKKOR IS WHAT WE ORIGINAL FANS OF THE SHOW PREFER, ALSO SPELLED TREKKER. IT DIFFERENTIATES US FROM THE TOTALLY CRAZY AND PUTS US IN A SEPARATE PADDED CELL [/B]
But what about kids nowadays with TNG and Voyager? Enterprise could even be thrown in I suppose.

So, are you saying Trekkie is more of a degrottory statement? (Negative) as opposed to Trekker? (Or is it just your personal opinion?)

Old 03-11-2003, 09:19 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Definition

Quote:
Originally posted by TariCalmcacil
But what about kids nowadays with TNG and Voyager? Enterprise could even be thrown in I suppose.

So, are you saying Trekkie is more of a degrottory statement? (Negative) as opposed to Trekker? (Or is it just your personal opinion?)
........ok, we, TOS original fans, letter writers to get the show back on the air etc., prefer Trekker (or) and define and dislike Trekkie. As the names were applied back in the 60's and the S.T. phenomena has continued through the '90's I can see where there would be confusion. Unfortunately the media lump all ST shows, series, movies etc. into one basket; thus the dilema. I am just giving you the history of the name and the "why". Apply as appropriate. Thanks asking, we Trekkers (ors) try to help.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:02 AM   #13
TariCalmcacil
Hobbit

Thanks for your help. Yup. Heh. Sorry, I don't know how to at all respond to your last statement Spock.

Hmm... anyone have any favorite characters from any of the shows? I'm partial to Seven of Nine and Troi. I haven't watched TOS except for a few eps maybe, not enough to have an opinion or like it.

-Tari

Old 03-13-2003, 09:20 AM   #14
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

My parents are both Trekkers, so I used to watch the show a lot as a kid, but I'm more of the fantasy than the sci-fi type.

Still, I read some of the Star Trek novels. I don't remember the titles, but they involved Kirk, and weren't so bad, if I remember correctly. I also read this great parody of ST - there were a bunch of short books about it. Really hilarious, especially the DSN one!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #15
Elvellon
Elf Lord

I haven’t seen much Star Trek, but for ToS. Pity it was done with the 60’s resources, imagine what would be that series with that actors with modern technology available for special effects.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Exactly. Many devices in TOS were the result of colaboration with JPL and MIT. Cell phones, talking computers, hand held scanners and on and on. Given the projections for the future I think that Roddenberry et. al. hit the nail on the head years ahead of time.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

As youth, I watched TOS as re-runs. ( I think the show was cancelled the year I was born)
I concur with some of the above statements that it is too bad that it was done in the 60's.

As a youth, I ,also, found the multi ethnic crew to my liking. I recall one episode with the Andromedans(SP) where a White female crew member and a Black male crew member were turned into silicon or something like it. The "bad guy" crushed one stone and the other one was turned back into it's human form. It was the Black guy who survived. A slittle kid that just stuck in my head.

Years later that character was used as my father in a Trek roleplaying game.

For the newest Trek RPG check out www.decipher.com

Make sure you are on the RPG site and not the card game.

As for the movies, only The Wrath of Khan was really good.
Seeing Sulu with his own ship in The Undiscovered Country was not bad.

As for STNG. It was usually more mature than TOS. But, the writers failed to read a lot of the tech manuals on the Enterprise and some basic lore on the series.

The last show All Good Things was quite good.

The STNG movies all left me dissappointed, generally.

DS9 at times was pretty good but seemed to sump as time when on.

Voyager... arrgh. I know very few fans of the show. I think that it is the worst of the series.

Enterprise. I have only seen a few but so far so good.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:44 AM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I read quite a few of the booksWAY back when, when I was a youth counsellor and worked the night shift.

Spock's World was quite good. And to be honest, all of the book that I did read were good.

However, the best Trel literature was a series called The New Frontier.

It evolves the crew of the USS Excalibur, an Ambassador class star ship.

There are some people from the Trek universe who are regulars.

Commander Shelby from the Borg Criss, Dr. Selar a Vulcan from the STNG, and Robin Shelby who I think was Wesley's girl friend. ( played by Ashley Judd BTW.

The Captain is great.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:09 PM   #19
Belle
Enting

My sister really liked Star Trek and read a lot of the books and encyclopedias and stuff, so I've seen a lot fot eh episodes. I like DS9 and Voyager, but then that's cos I liked Tom Paris I liek Worf, I think he's a good character and the Klingons are a very cool people.
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote