Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #41
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Yes. It was a good idea to portray that in the movie, even though it did present some problems in the book - it seemed that one size fit all.

For that reason, at least in the movie version, the Balrog could have conceivably took the ring and wore it. (maybe on his pinky finger )
Old 03-11-2003, 06:14 AM   #42
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Would the balrog have understood what the Ring was? If he'd been sleeping through the Second Age, he might not understand the "technology".

I liked Gandalf's reference to him in the first film as "a demon of the ancient world", implying that this is something beyond understanding from an almost alien world. Since the balrog fled from Angband, the world had been reshaped twice.

So, would the balrog have the brains or understanding to wield the Ring effectively?
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #43
Fanëar
Hobbit

Questionable...

I'm a little confused now...In the first movie didnt Gandalf tell them to run from the Balrog because their weapons couldnt help them but in the 2nd movie the Balrog was killed by being repeatedlly stabbed with a sword. I dont get it....
~Omentuva~
Fanëar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:22 PM   #44
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: Questionable...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fanëar
I'm a little confused now...In the first movie didnt Gandalf tell them to run from the Balrog because their weapons couldnt help them but in the 2nd movie the Balrog was killed by being repeatedlly stabbed with a sword. I dont get it....
With Gandolfs sword. Which is a special sword. And by Gandolf who is maiar. AND after he called down lightening to super charge his sword. So no the weapons of the others wouldnt have helped I dont think. Maybe sting but yer not gonna get far stabbing a balrog in the ankle with a dagger.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #45
Fanëar
Hobbit

thanks I somewhat seee that now. But why didnt he just do all that magic stuff and kill the mean thing right there?
~Omentuva~
Old 03-11-2003, 09:39 PM   #46
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Fanëar
thanks I somewhat seee that now. But why didnt he just do all that magic stuff and kill the mean thing right there?
Well remember the battle started there. It took days. But it was all the same battle. We just dont get to see the part where they fight all the way back to the top of the mountain. I think Gandolf just wanted to cut off the Balrog because he didnt want to risk actually fighting it at all. He had other things to worry about and time was of the essence. The whole bridge breaking thing was a trap. He figured ok hell drop off then we can make our escape. But of course the Balrog managed to snag him and Gandolf fell.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #47
Fanëar
Hobbit

thanks I get that now
~Omentuva~