Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2001, 01:47 AM   #1
Gilthalion

Supper!

Still downloading that Bogart version of Lord of the Rings (See LOTR MOVIE Forum!) and just finished supper.

Supper was so good, I just had to come share!

A green garden salad. Nothing special. A bag of salad greens, a chopped-deseeded-cucumber, a bit of finely chopped white onion, shredded mild cheddar cheese, and bacon bits topped with Paul Neuman's Ranch Dressing.

A couple of baked potatoes. I take butter, the Mrs likes sour cream. (I sometimes do both.)

A couple of ribeye steaks. I didn't grill these, since it's a little cold outside. Instead, I marinated them in a mixture of Dales and Liquid Smoke. Then I broiled them to medium rare.

O yes!

The Mushrooms!

Sliced portabello mushroom caps were sauteed in butter with onion salt and garlic salt. I turned them once, added a splash of Beaujolais wine, let 'em saute a little longer to drive off the alcohol and leave a hint of the flavor of the wine, and supper was served!

And mighty good it was, too!

P.S. Has everyone heard my new Tolkien reading yet?
Old 01-21-2001, 05:40 PM   #2
X Rogue

Re: Supper!

Yummy! No, I haven't heard your reading.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:31 PM   #3
Ghost of Gilthalion

At the risk of seeming to advertise (of course, I'm selling nothing), you can find it at <a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000/gilthalion.html">Gilthalion's Grand Adventures![/image] Ben has been kind enough to feature my readings on the Tolkien Trail in Rivendell!

Glad you liked supper!

Tonight, we're having left-overs. (But left-over ribeye steak is not unbearable!) The mushrooms were a hit, but we didn't save any for late</a>
Old 01-21-2001, 09:58 PM   #4
Johnny Lurker

Looks like you need to do a bit of editing.

(Of course, I don't see the harm in providing Tolkien resources on a Tolkien board, but that EzCode could use some cleaning up.)
Old 01-21-2001, 11:37 PM   #5
Gilthalion

Re: Looks like you need to do a bit of editing.

That's what happens when you let the undead do your posting for you!

Fortunately, the link worked anyway! For some silly reason, that spectre decided to use the image tag instead of the link tag.

Gilthalion's Grand Adventures!
Old 01-22-2001, 02:09 PM   #6
X Rogue

OK, I'm listening now and I like your reading even better than your report of dinner! (and that was pretty well) Good job!
Old 01-23-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Gilthalion

*blushes*
Old 01-25-2001, 05:01 AM   #8
Gilthalion

Another Supper!

Tonight, I worked late, and the Mrs was off to do her church work.

She bumped her head today and for some reason did not quite feel like cooking. Naturally, your's truly rose to the occassion...

[c] Supper On A Shingle[/c]

2 packs -- Stouffers Cream Chipped Beef
1/2 cup -- Frozen Green Peas (the smaller the better)
1 flat teaspoon -- Garlic Salt (or Powder or Flakes)
1 flat teaspoon -- Onion Salt (or Powder or Flakes)
1/4 stick -- Butter
1 pack -- Crescent Dinner Rolls (Makes
To taste -- Black Pepper

Unroll crescent rolls from package. Lay flat on buttered pan. Bake in oven at 400* F until light golden brown. About 10-12 minutes, but check sooner. Bottom will be browner than top!

Meanwhile, poke 3 or 4 tiny holes with knife or fork into each frozen bag of creamed chipped beef and place into microwave for 9 or 10 minutes or until thoroughly hot. Bags will swell, but should not burst. (Or start this first in boiling water on stove. Simmer about 20 minutes.)

While bread is baking and beef is cooking, put peas in medium sized sauce pan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Immediately take off and strain water.

Pour heated creamed beef over peas. Stir in butter and seasoning. Pour over unrolled dinner rolls. Serves 2 starving hobbits in 15 minutes.

This is absolutely delicious and will be requested again!

The ambitious cook is welcome to try from scratch (still not terribly difficult), but why bother!
Old 01-25-2001, 04:39 PM   #9
X Rogue

Re: Another Supper!

Just out of curiosity, how did the Mrs. manage to persuade you to actually cook? I'm lucky if my hubby heats up a hot dog.
Old 01-25-2001, 06:12 PM   #10
Gilthalion

She has her ways!

If she can't evoke enough sympathy or pity, then there are always her feminine wiles!

For instance, the previous evening was also the end of a rough day for her. She had started some baked potatoes in the oven, but was unable to continue with the rest of the meal. (We had planned a ham-based chef salad to go with the potatoes, but it turned out that we lacked certain critical ingrediants...)

So, inspired by descriptions on this board of the delicacy known as poutine, I cut up some leftover steak and mixed it with a can of Hormel Chili (No Beans).

Meanwhile, the potatoes were placed in a bowl and cut open, buttered, and sour creamed. The chili was poured over the top. Shredded cheddar cheese was liberally sprinkled on top of the chili and seasoned with onion salt. I had some salsa so that went on top, too.

It was cold on top, and hot on the bottom and good all the way through!

The Mrs said I could could this again, too!
Old 01-25-2001, 08:53 PM   #11
X Rogue

MMMMMM!!!That evil feminine wiles thing again, eh? Been awhile since I tried that one....
Old 01-27-2001, 09:04 PM   #12
Gilthalion

We finished the radio show and the Mrs ran off with her sister to do whatever it is that they do.

I'm attempting some jasmine rice in the microwave...

This will be consumed with a tin of kippered herring.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:40 PM   #13
Johnny Lurker

Too lazy to dig up the poutine thread, so...

... I'll post here.

Well, I've tried the A&W rendition of poutine, which most likely is rather unlike the real thing.

The result: *meh*.

(That was an indifferent sort of warble, for those of you unfamiliar with it)

I much prefer the special blend of real beef gravy and shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack (from Superstore, I think) over McCain's fries.

Ah, well... that's just IMHO.
Old 01-29-2001, 04:08 AM   #14
Gilthalion

Jasmine Rice

This is really great rice! I made some for the Mrs this evening. It is very aromatic and has a wonderful taste. I seasoned it with a little soy sauce and butter.