Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

C3-PO and R2-D2 at Jabba's Palace

Here's a question that has always been troubling me and some others in my family about Return of the Jedi. Why did Luke give Jabba C3-PO and R2-D2? If Jabba had accepted to Luke's bargain, it seems as though it would be not very noble for Luke to steal them back, and to ask for them back would look really stupid.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Good question. R2 did have a lightsaber hidden inside him so if everthing went badly (which it did) they were always guaranteed at least one weapon for an escape attempt. As for 3PO as a gift, well he's a translator and one thing you need while communication with Jabba is a translator you can trust.

Hmm I don't think they believed that Jabba would go through with the any bargain, Luke was just giving him the option, a very noble thing to do. Jabba was a gangster and that means two things which are important to him, power and money. Having Solo frozen in carbonite in his throne room must have seemed quite a status symbol to him.......as for money, well I'm sure that Jabba paid Boba Fett quite a sum for the capture of Solo.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:26 PM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

(Imagines R2-D2 and C3-PO weilding a lightsaber in an escape attempt and chuckles )

Yes, I know that Luke was being noble. But the point is that he wouldn't have been being very noble if he took them back from Jabba, and he probably wasn't especially noble in giving them to Jabba in the first place. Unless he'd had a Jedi vision of what was to come (Such as the battle at the Pit of Carkoon).
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 PM   #4
Nibs
Head Hollara

I think he did know that Jabba would not take the offer, but he would take the droids.

Interesting thought, though.

Droids with lightsabers... maybe that sissy C-3PO could have actually taken care of the lizard-monkey on his own. Maybe.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
(Imagines R2-D2 and C3-PO weilding a lightsaber in an escape attempt and chuckles )

Yes, I know that Luke was being noble. But the point is that he wouldn't have been being very noble if he took them back from Jabba, and he probably wasn't especially noble in giving them to Jabba in the first place. Unless he'd had a Jedi vision of what was to come (Such as the battle at the Pit of Carkoon).
Well Jedi are prone to the odd lie, especially when performing their mind-tricks "These aren't the droids your looking for" etc (Obi-Wan in ep IV).........I don't think Luke would have any qualms about lying to Jabba...........he certainly doesn't have problems with using deception........I think Jedi nobility and honour can deal with giving "false" gifts.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:04 AM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It wouldn't be saying much for his character though, and from what I've seen of it, he is very noble. Plus, it would make him look very stupid, and like a bit of a jerk (To those watching the movie and to those in the universe).

(Imagines Luke giving away droids and then sneaking into Jabba's palace again a while later to reclaim them)

Well, I really think that that's just too out of character for him to pull something like that, and it isn't enough of an assistance to his plans to be worth it. I think the only explanation is, as Nibs said, that he already knew, somehow, that Jabba was going to refuse his offer. Which implies either a very great knowledge of his opponent (Perhaps coming from someone near Luke who knew Jabba closely?), or that he had seen it in a Jedi vision. To me, this latter option seems more plausible, as Luke wouldn't want to take chances like he appeared to be doing, and it leaves his character intact. The other option seems a little bit too chancy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
Droids with lightsabers... maybe that sissy C-3PO could have actually taken care of the lizard-monkey on his own. Maybe.
LOL! .
Old 02-01-2003, 04:46 AM   #7
jimbo
Sapling

R2D2 had a lightsaber so why not give jabba both

Legolas Rules and Frodo lives!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote