Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2001, 09:49 PM   #1
Darth ATAT

Design for the Archives forum

Could it please be synchronised with the rest of the board so that the thread titles can be properly read?
Old 03-09-2001, 10:30 PM   #2
captain Tarpols

Re: Design for the Archives forum

your complaint has been noted (and forgotten j/k) :-D I'll tell ben when he gets back....hopefully i won't forget...........did you know that because of you a classic thread just got killed?
Old 03-09-2001, 10:33 PM   #3
gdl96

I realize that. But it's not only his fault. It's yours and the other admins and mods cuz you seem reluctant to prune general messages and/or move classic threads to the archives, such as the one that just fell off.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:41 PM   #4
bmilder

Yeah when I get a chance.

IMO all the worthwhile threads are already in there, the rest is junk
Old 03-10-2001, 01:04 PM   #5
Darth Tater

I prune once every three weeks or so folks, but some stuff's gonna die, and some stuff is junk, get used to it

BTW, if anyone has issues with me deleting all threads after page 2 with zero responses, let me know within the next week or I'll do that
Old 03-10-2001, 03:42 PM   #6
gdl96

That's not a very good idea Tater.

But, I have come up with a possible solution. Instead of moving the threads here to the archives, turn the entire general messages into archive, make a new general messages, and move about the first 2 pages from the old GM to the new GM! It's genius, cuz then we won't have to worry about this again for a long time.
Old 03-10-2001, 05:59 PM   #7
bmilder

But no one is ever going to read 10,000 messages... they would just sit there, the really interesting ones would go unnoticed in the clutter.

Obviously it's not our space so we don't have to worry about that, but it seems silly.
Old 03-10-2001, 07:34 PM   #8
Darth ATAT

Best policy is never to delete threads. On my board I keep them all in a **** forum. If I deleted them I would forever miss them. I still enjoy going back and reading through trolling attacks long gone, and doing IP analysis to spot sockpuppets I didn't notice before.
Old 03-10-2001, 08:14 PM   #9
bmilder

There, the colors match... took awhile, the new ezboard control center doesn't make it terribly easy. I had to use the "mimic" feature to get it to finally work.
Old 03-10-2001, 10:30 PM   #10
Darth ATAT

Thanks Bennyboy.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:57 AM   #11
Darth Tater

Well, we're moving towards deletion, and quite frankly not all the threads will be saved cause there's some real junk. I've pruned all threads with 0 or only 1 reply, I know, it stinks, but it's gotta be done. If there are any old threads you feel really need to be saved let me know. I'm not as picky with the archive as Ben is
Old 06-09-2001, 01:05 AM   #12
bmilder

Yes but if you put nearly everything in there, it becomes just General Messages II. No one will read the stuff, and it will be pointless to have it.
Old 06-09-2001, 02:28 AM   #13
captain Tarpols

Topics that I think should be archived "napster" last page " I don't wanna be an entling " last page
"A look at Entmoot's past" page 19 "dopefish" ??? page19 "The first Entmoot S.I.T.H. is born!" page 19
Old 06-09-2001, 04:08 PM   #14
Darth Tater

those are good threads, i'll see what i can do
Old 06-10-2001, 04:29 AM   #15
anduin

The VP is right.

gdl has the right idea, IMO. Just start a new GM. This board goes through a different set of "regular" members every three months or so. Eventually everyone will get use to the new GM forum and we won't have to worry about this for another 2 years...which is about how long this GM forum has lasted. We can ask that no new threads be started in that forum, only in the new GM.....besides, it will give us mods something to do for a couple of months. However, members can still post in those threads. Meanwhile, as we have time, we can "thin" out the old GM by deleting those threads that are pointless.

Gee I hope that makes sense....I have been working some crazy hours lately and have had little sleep.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:50 PM   #16
Mace McClain

I thought it made some sence. It is a good idea, to.