Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2002, 09:57 PM   #81
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
SGH, I said "people who take themselves too seriously" not "serious characters". What about the miller, Sandyman? But should I pursue it even further? It would be a waste of time because I'll just get misquoted again.

In fact, my only problem is with the guy who is telling kids to act like clones, not with you, who I consider a fellow fan who doesn't want Tolkien's work cheapened by silly nonsense. I don't think we actually disagree.
Well thank you Elfhelm. If I have taken any of your words out of context, I truely apoligize. It was never my intention to do so.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:55 PM   #82
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

erendil, look up the thread clothes, it should come up witha search engine, it has a great link near the end for great costume ideas.

i just wanted to pop in and say that right now i am sitting in full costume at school. everyone reacted as i expected, and people think im back to myself (haha normal me is weird me.)

, bropous
Old 12-21-2002, 01:19 AM   #83
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I don't think it is necessary for people to dress up to show their appriciation for Tolkien and I think that that is a lame excuse, because it is all about the movie, not the books. It is my opinion that it degrades the books and takes away the element of importance and appreciation that the books hold
People arent dressing up to show there appreciation for the books they are doing it coz it is a little bit of light fun and i dont see how doing something that is just that is taking anything away from the books or degrading them in any way
Old 12-21-2002, 01:42 AM   #84
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

OK. I do though, so that's the way it is for me. You don't have to agree.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-21-2002, 02:00 AM   #85
Millane
The Dude

ohhh yeah sure its not that i dont agree i just dont see how.
why for you do you think it is degrading to the books?
Old 12-21-2002, 02:05 AM   #86
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
For an update on the employees dressing up for TTT...

It happened! Today we had a two random women , a random elf shieldmaiden, a random peasant man who looked like Frodo, minus the One Ring adn with shoes (all supervisors). We also had an orc, who was sweeping the hallways and scared a little boy, a concessionist as Gandalf, a young knight, a Ringwraith and another random woman (the last three were part of a promotional deal). Oh yes, and Legolas, but his hair was quite a muss. Much fun was had.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:08 AM   #87
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ohhh yeah sure its not that i dont agree i just dont see how.
why for you do you think it is degrading to the books?
I've explained that.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-21-2002, 03:46 AM   #88
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Speaking of sacrileges....

Click here, to see a pic of the ticket to the xmas bash I went to at the Auckland Museum...

Last edited by BeardofPants : 12-21-2002 at 03:48 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 08:01 PM   #89
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

I saw the movie on wednesday with my two best friends. They were two embarresed to dress up. Although one of my friends did wear her one ring around her neck.
I don't mean to brag... but i wore my 'Frodo Lives' tee-shirt over a green long sleeves shirt. I braided my hair and put a barrete with righting that looks elvish in my hair. I also wore the one ring on a chain around my neck. I painted Frodo LIves on my finger nails. (Yes it fits, five letter on each hand) For Haloween I dressed up as Eowyn, so I wore my brownish-grey cloak as well.
People in line to see it came up to me and asked my about my costume. It made me feel good because people seemed to admire me for it. We talked all about the books during the halfhour wait to go into the movie theater. I was proud that I wore my costume!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:01 PM   #90
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I did it! I FINALLY got to dress up as and Ent! I saw it today for the 3rd time, I allready told you what I was the first time, the second time my brother refused to take me home after the movie if I was dressed up, and said that he would never give me another christmas present again (the movie was my christmas present from him). So, today I saw it for the 3rd time, and I dressed up as an Ent! I claimed Quickbeam, because I am hasty! It was great! Lots of people gave me looks like: ! I love being an Ent, it makes me and the tress one, it makes me understand the trees, and to be friends with the trees, forever, me and the trees will now be at peise with eachother, ! I am still in the costume, wich has long arms, lots of brown spots, was stained with tee, coffie beans, and coke, and has leaves pinned to it. I was an Ent for halloween, but this time I added to my costume, I havemy finger nails painted brown with the nailpolish going on to the skin to make it look more treeish, and I took make- up and smotherd it onto my face. I looked great, alot better then I did on halloween, I'll try to find my halloween pictures and post one of them here...

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:08 PM   #91
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Maybe if some folks would spend less time dressing in costumes to see a movie and spend more time studying spelling and grammar.....

And I do know the Professor would have agreed on this point.

However, apparently some folks think that I am telling you folks to abandon being an individual and to follow the norms absolutely. I'm not. I just offer a few words to the wise about long-term consequences ftrom actions taken today. Take it as you will.

I will repeat two lines from Sister Golden Hair with which I wholeheartedly agree:

"I just don't see the significance of going to a movie in costume to show your fandom."

-However-

"With that said, again, we will agree to disagree, and no hard feelings."

I hope everyone enjoyed the film, dressed up or not. Hope that assuages some raw nerves.

A Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to one and all!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 12-23-2002 at 01:37 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #92
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Maybe if some folks would spend less time dressing in costumes to see a movie and spend more time studying spelling and grammar.....

*Shakes head* That was just a cheap shot Bropous. Very sad.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:55 PM   #93
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ok folks. We will agree to disagree on this topic and let it go at that. This is turning into flame bait which is against posting policies. If we can't disagree in a civil manner, then this thread will be closed.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-23-2002, 04:39 PM   #94
Merlin
Hobbit

Gandalf So...Who's Dressing Up For The Two Towers?

Umm... What do you mean? I dressed up like Gandalf, Mithrandir, whatever you please, for Halloween. I thought it was pretty close to what it should look like. If you're talking about going to the movie and dressing up, I might wear my gray blanket with my old leaf pin I got for my Birthday last year. That was part of my Halloween costume, even though Gandalf did not get to go to Lothlorien, (I've read all the books, I know he's alive!).

I run unchecked through my house. (scary thought)

Get your butt in here Courtney!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:30 PM   #95
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Ok folks. We will agree to disagree on this topic and let it go at that. This is turning into flame bait which is against posting policies. If we can't disagree in a civil manner, then this thread will be closed.
Thank you, SGH. I didn't realize this would get into this kind of discussion when I started this thread

So, if anyone wants to post on what they actually wore to TTT, that'd be cool

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all

Last edited by WallRocker : 12-24-2002 at 02:31 PM.
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:28 PM   #96
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

I don't know how many times I have posted in spelling and grammer threads all of the diffrent things that I have tried, and how much time I have spent trying to improve my spelling and grammer, but if you need the list, PM me, and I'll send it to you!

Sorry Sister Golden Hair, it could not be helped.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:39 PM   #97
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I wore normal clothes...shirt and jeans...and The One Ring the first night I saw it.

Second time I wore my beloved "Pinky Shirt". It's a black shirt with pinky holes that I love.