Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-13-2002, 04:15 PM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Could it also have been that the further west you went, the more your lifespan increased? Also, what about their exposure to the Eldar and living among them and their lifestyle?
The text specifically refutes that notion.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:22 PM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
The text specifically refutes that notion.
Oh? Can you give me some documentation, a quote please?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:43 PM   #23
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Some bit in HoME does says that if men lived in Aman they might likely be shorter lived rather than longer, but the experience or enviroment is unsuitable for their spirit.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:58 PM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Some bit in HoME does says that if men lived in Aman they might likely be shorter lived rather than longer, but the experience or enviroment is unsuitable for their spirit.
Yes, but I was asking about Men moving further West in Beleriand. I am not saying that their lifespan increased as they moved west. I am asking if that is a possibility in Beleriand and that they lived among the Eldar. Wayfarer says that the text refutes that and that's fine. I would like to know what the text says about that. I was hoping he would post it so that I could be lazy and not have to look for it, but I guess I will.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2002, 05:12 PM   #25
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

There's that fascinating little bit in (yes, you guessed it ) Morgoth's Ring about what would happen to men if they went to live in Aman. It's in Myths Transformed, under the section "Aman and Mortal Men". Basically how their physical lives would be extended because of the influence of Aman, but it would be a horrible thing, because their spirits were not meant to have a body like that. Here's a quick quote:
Quote:
Very soon then the fëa [spirit] and hröa [body] of a Man in Aman would not be united and at peace, but would be opposed, to the great pain of both. The hröa being in full vigor and joy of life would cling to the fëa, lest its departure should bring death; and against death it would revolt as would a great beast in full life either flee from the hunter or turn savagely upon him. But the fëa would be as it were in prison, becoming ever more weary of all the delights of the hröa, until they were loathsome to it, longing ever more and more to be gone, until even those matters for its thought that it received through the hröa and its senses became meaningless. The Man would not be blessed, but accursed; and he would curse the Valar and Aman and all the things of Arda....
It goes on for a bit more, and it's really quite interesting.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-13-2002 at 05:13 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:44 PM   #26
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Can you give me some documentation, a quote please?
I think that it would be amusing at this point to direct you to the Akallabeth.

The reason that the Numenoreans attacked valinor was that they believed that posessing the land would somehow make them immortal. The valar tell them that living in valinor would not, in fact, make them immortal, and that the land of valinor actually had no special properties in and of itself.

But since your asking about living longer in beleriand, there really aren't any textual sources regarding that. I find no reason to believe that living among the elves provides any benefit other than those which are outlined. rest from ones cares, good food and drink, plenty of rest, and affordable medical and dental care- those are all things which tend to make people live longer. But aside from that, I don't see anything the elves provide which would drastically increase the length of life for humans.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:54 PM   #27
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
It's in Myths Transformed, under the section "Aman and Mortal Men".
Yep, I see find that part now, as well as recalling some ealier on line JRRT speculation in another part, that men might persih faster there like a moth too close to a flame (the moth/flame motif MIGHT put it in time near the period he wrote the Andreth, which had similar motifs), The myths transformed is, however, among his last writings and thoughs.

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-13-2002 at 05:57 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:30 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I was just wondering what was behind those two little paragraphs in the Sil that says:
Quote:
The years of the Edain were lengthened, according to the reckoning of Men, after their coming to Beleriand; but at last Beor the Old died when he had lived three and ninety years, for four and forty of which he had served King Felagund. And when he lay dead of no wound or grief, but stricken by age, the Eldar saw for the first time the swift waning of the life of Men, and the death of weariness which they knew not in themselves; and they grieved greatly for the loss of their friends. But Beor at the last had relinquished his life willingly and passed in peace, and the Eldar wondered much at the strange fate of Men, for in all their lore there was no account of it and its end was hidden from them.

So the Edain of old learned swiftly of the Eldar all such art and knowledge as they could receive, and their sons increased in wisdom and skill, until they far surpassed all others of Mankind, who dwelt still east of the mountains and had not seen the Eldar, nor looked upon the faces that had beheld the Light of Valinor.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-17-2002, 09:51 PM   #29
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
The phenomenon of the West attaining importance in Tolkien's work is interesting, because, as we know, Numeanore was based slightly on Egyptian culture. Now in the Dynastic Periods of Egypt, the West was very much an important aspect of the Egyptian Cult of the Dead. I understand that this was also the case for some Meso-American cultures as well. Sorta interesting how Tolkien appears to have taken the opposite, in that the West seems to home those that are long-lived or immortal. The west isn't usually used to represent longevity (the sun setting, and all.)

[/end ramble]

Different mythologies had their influence here. Do not forget that Tir Na Nog (the Celtic land of the Ever Young), and Avalon itself was in the West. (Remember Avallone?)

And it was also was a way by witch Tolkien gave a meaning to the coming to the west of the Saxon tribes in the old mythology of the Lost Tales. Now in his mithiology they were driven by a purpose nobler that simply finding a suitable land to settle; they searched for the West.

The Newer mythology inherited the ancient and refined it, and left the place of the Blessed Land unchanged.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 10:20 PM   #30
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Different mythologies had their influence here. Do not forget that Tir Na Nog (the Celtic land of the Ever Young), and Avalon itself was in the West. (Remember Avallone?)
Yep, and if memory serves one of the myths of Ireland is the invasion of a Ireland by a people from Nu Breasil, a land over the sea from the west (modern Brazils named after this legend).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:29 PM   #31
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Yep, and if memory serves one of the myths of Ireland is the invasion of a Ireland by a people from Nu Breasil, a land over the sea from the west (modern Brazils named after this legend).
I see you have an interest in Celtic things, as I do

I’m aware of the association, of the name Brazil with the mythic land of “I Brazil” but I must say I’ve always considered that hypothesis unlikely, (albeit a interesting one).

As you may know, that wasn’t the original official name of the country (It was called then Terra de Vera Cruz, meaning Land of the True Cross).

So how it came to be known as Brazil?
The name seems to be associated with that of a specific tree of Brazil known as “Pau Brazil,” meaning in Old Portuguese, “fire-coloured wood.”
In the early times of colonization, the Pau Brazil had quite an economic relevance, so that the caravelas and naus (old Portuguese sailing ships) would go there specifically to load that wood and bring it home. Mariners would say “Ir ao Brazil,” meaning they were going to Vera Cruz to load wood, but the phrase is quite ambivalent, and can also be understood as going to the land of Brazil. In time, the word Brazil became associated with the land.

Sorry for the ramble, but history is a passion of mine

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:59 AM   #32
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I was just wondering what was behind those two little paragraphs in the Sil that says:
Perhaps the words of Finrod my clarify things. From Morgoth's Ring: Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth
Quote:
'That I can well believe,' said Finrod: 'that your bodies suffer in some measure the malice of Melkor. For you live in Arda Marred, as do we, and all the matter of Arda was tainted by him, before ye or we came forth and drew our hröar and their sustenance therefrom: all save only maybe Aman before he came there. For know, it is not otherwise with the Quendi themselves: their health and stature is diminished. Already those of us who dwell in Middle-earth, and even we who have returned to it, find that the change of their bodies is swifter than in the beginning. And that, I judge, must forebode that they will prove less strong to last than they were designed to be, though this may not be clearly revealed for many long years.
'And likewise with the hröar of Men, they are weaker than they should be. Thus it comes to pass that here in the West, to which of old his power scarcely extended, they have more health, as you say.'
With Men coming to Beleriand, away from the influence of Melkor, their hröar would be stronger than if they would be closer to him.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:49 AM   #33
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
With Men coming to Beleriand, away from the influence of Melkor, their hröar would be stronger than if they would be closer to him.
But Melkor is there already, isn't he, in Beleriand, when Men arrives?

In "Myths transformed" it is said that Melkor in the beginning of days put forth his power into the physical earth and thus marred it. It could be, perhaps, that Melkor poured the greatest part of his dark power into the earth in the lands east of Ered Luin, so that Men and Elves and other living creatures would be more affected there. Hence the Edain would benefit from fleeing westwards.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:03 AM   #34
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

There is also a possibility that the Edain were rewarded for turning away from the influence of Melkor. Melkor made Men fear death, which should not be feared as it was a gift to them. In the quote given by SGH, Beor gives up his life willingly when his time has come, and do no longer fear death. It seems then as if Men do not try to avoid death, which is their natural fate, death is actually postponed. We see the opposite process among the Numenoreans, they did not die willingly, but clinged to life, and the result was shorter lifespan.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:32 PM   #35
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

But Tolkien isn't all negative towards men. Note in ROTK Gimli and Legolas discuss Minas Tirith and Legolas notes that men's glory may wane, but they can wax again-elves and dwarves are doomed to vanish from the world.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:07 PM   #36
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
No. I'm asking about human nature. You have the Númenóreans who had basically everything that a civilization of Men ever had, and still they ended up being destroyed. I wonder if that is how Tolkien view humans, I wonder if we are destined for failure in his eyes.
But they weren't destroyed: that's the whole point about the escape of Elendil and a few others of the faithful from the ruin of Numenor.

And about Aragorn, eventually. Perhaps JRRT viewed humans as a battleground in which there are many casualties but always resurging hope due to the human spirit that will not give up -- "the old that is good does not perish, deep roots are not reached by the frost" (a paraphrase, as the books aren't handy).

It takes some time and reflection to connect Bilbo's poem for Aragorn with The Akallabeth, but the connection, I believe, is there, signified perhaps by how Aragorn was known in Rivendell: Dunadan, or Numenorean. (And in the external story, a rather neat linkage between The Akallabeth, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings.)

Interestingly, Ar-Pharazon and those Numenoreans who landed on Aman with him weren't destroyed, either, though their fate was far worse than that of the Faithful who escaped the Downfall but had to labor hard in Middle-earth. The rebellious Numenoreans who had broken the ban were buried in the Caves of the Forgotten, to stay there until the Last Battle: they got a taste of immortality, that is, and I bet they would really understand the meaning of the gift of Iluvatar by the time they would be released. So, they didn't fail, either: just got taught a very hard lesson.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote