Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

New Jersey's Liberty Tower (World's Tallest Structure)

gdl96 suggest I put this here - so I guess I will.

The NY broadcasters need to rebuild the antenna that once stood atop the Twin Towers. The two proposed sites are in New Jersey. Most New Jerseyans don't even know about this - it's hardly getting any press.

Basically the broadcasters want to build a 2000ft ugly tower (no different than any other broadcast antennal).

The Liberty Science Center wants them to build it at the west end of Liberty State Park (see map), which would be across the Hudson from where the Twin Towers once stood. It would be similar to CN Tower in Toronto (currently the tallest structure in the world) and have an observation deck and museums.

I have a website that explains it - New Jersey's Liberty Tower

One of the arguments the broadcasters use is that it'll be a terrorist target. Basically they just want to erect something in New Jersey that is quick and cheap.

My feeling is - anything is a terrorist target; malls during christmas season, movie theaters during major openings, etc. We just can't stop living.

I have a Petition people can sign. Even if you don't live in New Jersey - you can still sign it if you feel you would visit it if you were in the area ( just add a comment to that affect). I think it would bring over many tourists visiting New York who would not otherwise think about taking the ferry over to New Jersey.

Do you think that terrorism is a valid argument to just put up an ugly tower that will be viewable from 20 miles away, instead of making it into a major tourist attraction? I haven't heard New York complaining that less people are going up to the Empire State Building. I know I have no problem going up. Should we change what we build - just because of a possible terrorist attack? I have a hard time understanding it - because then in affect the terrorist have won (they have made us afraid).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-11-2002 at 10:33 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
gdl96
the greg the admin

Any new info on it since you first told me about it?
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:18 AM   #3
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Any new info on it since you first told me about it?
Not really. Just trying to get as many people to know about it as possible.

On Sunday - News12 New Jersey said the NY broadcasters were claiming that the Liberty State Park site was too dangerous. Basically they just want NJ to get an ugly monstrosity so they don't have to spend the money to give us something that can actually be a tourist attraction.

The FAA supposedly came back saying that Bayonne has serious fly path issues. I knew it would - I've flown directly over it a ton of times coming into Newark Liberty International. I have NEVER flown over Liberty State Park.

If you can sign the petition and tell people - it would be a big help. I've been sending a letter to every NJ legislator - all 40 Senators and 120 Assemblyman. I still need to get the final letter out to the governor.

I have been invited to the ground breaking already if it ends up getting built. That would be awesome - especially if it carries the name that I gave - New Jersey's Liberty Tower.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-12-2002, 08:06 AM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

There is some debate over which building holds the record. Not everybody agrees on which structures should be considered. Traditionally, the architectural community defines a building as an enclosed structure built primarily for occupancy. This excludes a lot of extremely tall freestanding structures, such as Toronto's 1,815-foot (553-m) CN Tower, from the running.

Even within "traditional buildings" there is some controversy. Conventionally, decorative structures count toward height, but antennas do not, giving the Petronas Towers in Malaysia, built in 1997, at 1,483 feet (452 m) each, the official lead. However, if rooftop antennas were included in the total height measure, the Sears Tower in Chicago would take first prize at 1,730 feet (527 m). Many Chicagoans also point out that their Sears Tower has the highest occupied floor, at 1,431 feet (436 m), and the highest traditional roof at 1,454 feet (443 m).
Old 12-12-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

By all accounts, the skyscraper race is far from over. There are more than 50 proposed buildings that would break the current record. The 1,550-foot (472-m) 7 South Dearborn building, nearing completion in Chicago, will squeak by the 1,483-foot Petronas Towers. China is working on the Shanghai World Financial Center, which it says will be something more than 1,500 feet (457 m). The proposed pyramid-shaped World Center for Vedic Learning in Jabalpur, India, will tower over the city at 2,222 feet (677 m). One of the most ambitious projects, Hong Kong's 4,029-foot (1,228-m) Bionic Tower, will include 300 stories.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock

There is some debate over which building holds the record. Not everybody agrees on which structures should be considered. Traditionally, the architectural community defines a building as an enclosed structure built primarily for occupancy. This excludes a lot of extremely tall freestanding structures, such as Toronto's 1,815-foot (553-m) CN Tower, from the running.

Even within "traditional buildings" there is some controversy. Conventionally, decorative structures count toward height, but antennas do not, giving the Petronas Towers in Malaysia, built in 1997, at 1,483 feet (452 m) each, the official lead. However, if rooftop antennas were included in the total height measure, the Sears Tower in Chicago would take first prize at 1,730 feet (527 m). Many Chicagoans also point out that their Sears Tower has the highest occupied floor, at 1,431 feet (436 m), and the highest traditional roof at 1,454 feet (443 m).
Well that's why New Jersey's Liberty Tower would be the tallest structure - not building.

Also - although Petronas Towers are the record holders for tallest buildings at the moment - the Twin Towers had the tallest public observation deck of any building.

Quote:

By all accounts, the skyscraper race is far from over. There are more than 50 proposed buildings that would break the current record. The 1,550-foot (472-m) 7 South Dearborn building, nearing completion in Chicago, will squeak by the 1,483-foot Petronas Towers. China is working on the Shanghai World Financial Center, which it says will be something more than 1,500 feet (457 m). The proposed pyramid-shaped World Center for Vedic Learning in Jabalpur, India, will tower over the city at 2,222 feet (677 m). One of the most ambitious projects, Hong Kong's 4,029-foot (1,228-m) Bionic Tower, will include 300 stories.
I isn't a set rule for measuring buildings. Some are measured from bottom to tip of antenna - others aren't. There isn't a consistency here. All I care about is the fact that Liberty Science Center supports the building of a 2000ft Tower WITH observation deck. This observation deck would be between 1250ft - 1500ft.

Skyscrapers.com
Skyscraper Museum
Tallest Buildings

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-14-2002, 12:09 AM   #7
gdl96
the greg the admin

Those links are really cool. Why doesn't America have something as beautiful as the Bank of China building?
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote