Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2002, 05:02 AM   #1
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Nazgul at the Pelennor

Was the Witch King the only one of the Ringwraiths at the battle of the Pelennor fields? If so, where were the others?

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 05:12 AM   #2
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Good question

As far as I can remember, the Witch-king was the only one who is specifically mentioned as entering the fray. I presume the others were abroad in the air, spreading terror hither and thither.

Since their primary weapon was fear, they'd be more effective in that way, I guess.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:40 AM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The Lieutennat of Minas Morgal, most probably a Nazgul (?Khamul was the name?), took over command after Angmar bit Eowyn's sword.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Question: Is the name of the Witch King Angmar? Or was that just their realm in the north earlier in time?
Old 11-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

The Nazgul lord is never given a proper name, although their have been several theories. Angmar only refers to the realm of the Witch King.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:33 PM   #6
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

He is more than once (in the annals IIRC) called Angmar, but that is almost certainly not a real name for him, just a epithet . In aristocratic parlance, it it common to refer to a lord by the name of one of his reals, without even attaching Earl of X or Duke of X in front, just the name of the fief or land. Calling the Earl of Gloucester just Gloucester, rather than Earl of Gloucester or Richard Plantagenet.

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 11-22-2002 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:23 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

What are the annals IIRC? I have never read of the Witchking of Angmar being called Angmar.

The Lieutenant of Minas Morgul -- who or whatever he is -- is named Gothmog, not Khamûl.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:29 AM   #8
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
What are the annals IIRC? I have never read of the Witchking of Angmar being called Angmar.

The Lieutenant of Minas Morgul- is named Gothmog, not Khamûl.
Yep, Khamul is the Nazgul who was in charge of Dol Guldar for much of 3rd age, not the Lt of Morgul.
Annals = generic term for chronilogical historical outline listed by years, such as several parts of appendix A to LoTR
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

In this case I do not appear to have recalled correctly. Using the Index for Angmar, all its uses in the Text or appedicies are either geographic, or with indicating the Lord of the Nazgul, used with "King of" or "Witchking of"
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Old 11-22-2002, 07:28 AM   #9
Agburanar
Elf Lord

But surely the sheer scale of the battle of the Pelennor would have merited a few more Nazgul being present? Was Sauron really too short sighted to post one or two to watch over Rohan, or was there some other important task they had to do?

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #10
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

The Witch King was the only Nazgul I know that was present. But I do believe that there had to be at least two more there as well.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:41 PM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

We know that there were 5 flying Nazgul over the Pelenor Fields on march 10, 5 days before the climax on the Pelenor Fields.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:52 PM   #12
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Hmmmm -- where'd the other four go after that?

Frodo and Sam saw one in Cirith Ungol on the 15th, the same day Angmar learned his last lesson: not to mess with a hobbit and a woman and, I think, before the Nazgul King's passing. So there's one of them definitely located. Maybe it was that one, or perhaps there were more than one, who remained in Minas Morgul after the army left it. Frodo and Sam saw that there was still a watchful evilness in the city, even though it was now dark.

Perhaps the others were with Sauron's other armies, at the Morannon, as well as out in the field in Anorien, with the orcs that invaded Rohan or attacked Lorien and Dale, and even at Pelargir with the Corsair fleet?
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote