Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2002, 05:09 PM   #121
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

ack! bashki

man, you must REALLY REALLY not like LOTR:FOTR, eh?
you have over 500 posts, see if you can get yer name changed to the official something of thing or what ever..
c'mon, it'd be great
Old 03-27-2002, 05:14 PM   #122
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I'm expecting Tater to change my title to something like that on his own. He's evil like that. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been watching my count and just waiting to give me some title he's thought up.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #123
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

Having read through all 7 pages of this debate, I decided to throw myself into the fray!!
I would give the movie about 8 out of 10!! When it came to scenery and special effects I would give it 10 out of 10!!
But unfortunately there were a few jarring scenes.....(I have now read the book 7 times and watched the movie 7 times)
I have come to really LIKE the funny scenes, you need a few laughs, and many of the small niggling differences no longer annoy me, but there are still a few scenes I do not like.
First of all, I agree that although having Arwen in the first movie is OK....we need to know about her relationship with Aragorn, the " if you want him, come and claim him..." is still awful!! (and I am still upset about making Frodo so wimpish!)
The other scene that still has me cringing is the Galadriel scene...turning her green and purple is just AWFUL!!! I do not mind her being scary, but the way it was done was BAD.

Unfortunately we do have to live with that.......however, there seems to be good news as far as the DVD is concerned. The extended DVD will have scenes from Hobbiton, Rivendell and Lothlorien....probably 'filling out' the characters!! There is supposedly also more from Moria....hopefully that will go some ways towards satisfying the fans.
I am not saying PJ is perfect, but he did cut out more than he really wanted to because New Line did not want the movie being more that 3 hours long!! And although we can lament that he has had to 'pander' to the masses........if the first movie was NOT a success, we might never GET a second and third movie....and I for one, think that, although there are things I do not like about FotR, it was certainly good enough to see several times....and I DO want the best possible TTT and RotK to be made.
Better stop for now. Considering all the demands PJ had to satisfy, I would say he did a pretty good job. I also think we can be grateful to New Line for supporting 3 movies.......think how BAD it would have been with ONE MOVIE!!
Old 03-30-2002, 10:12 PM   #124
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I'm annoyed about the Nazgul blade and the flight to the ford: in the books, Frodo goes 19 days, traveling and conscious the whole time, with a shard of the Morgul blade in his shoulder before finally giving in at the ford, after standing off 9 Nazgul that are shouting "Come back! come back! to Mordor we will take you!". Instead, he barely goes 2 days, unconscious and essentially a sack of potatoes to Arwen, before Arwen says "If you want him, come and claim him!" instead of Frodo saying "By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" Oh well.

Other than that, i have no major gripes about the movie. The cutting of Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns would just have added time and not much else, especially as in the Barrowdowns, there are 4 young hobbits cavorting naked on the grass! And there were songs in the movie: BOTH Gandalf and Bilbo sang "The road goes ever on and on", Gandalf as he entered the Shire, Bilbo as he left.

[later edit: Oh my Eru, I cannot believe my utter omission of capital letters and commas and lack of proofreading in this post. *groans* What was I thinking?!? It has been fixed.]

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 10-27-2002 at 07:18 PM.
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:14 PM   #125
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
instead of Frodo saying "By Elbereth and LUthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" oh well.
Heh no way they were going to have that line in!
Someone somewhere obviously decided that people can't remember many names, so they are kept to a minimum.
Hell they never even once call the White City Minas Tirith for Gods sake!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:24 AM   #126
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Well I saw it again tonight and some things still bother me just as much as when I first saw it - other things bother me less. I still don't like Merry and Pippin and I despise the Flight to the Ford scene.

I wish there was more characterizaton and that it was pointed out that Pippin and Merry were on the quest out of friendship. I still think there are too many key character things missing out of the movie.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 01:16 PM   #127
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Yeah, that's my major problem with it. There's no development or nice touches like there are in the book.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:17 PM   #128
azalea
Long lost mooter

Sorry to pull this thread up, but I wanted to post a couple of things, and figured this was the best place to do that.

I watched it again last night, and was reminded about a few nitpicky things I had noticed before:

In the beginning when Bilbo finds the ring, Gollum screams LOST, when actually Gollum doesn't notice the Ring is lost until after they have their riddles, which is some time after Bilbo finds it.

I was bothered that Bilbo wasn't at the council of Elrond, where in the book he offers to take the ring to Mordor.

Very funny thing: I always have to keep myself from smiling in Moria, when Gandalf pushes Aragorn hard and says "Go! Swords are of no use here!" or whatever the exact line is -- Viggo looks at Gandalf as if he's thinking "What the ____, man? Quit pushin'!" It's kind of funny.

I still love the movie, but it's hard not to watch it so many times and not comment on these things.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:12 AM   #129
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I give it a 9/10, because I love it and close my eyes to the awful bits.
The only part I really cringe over is the fight between Gandalf and Saruman - totally unnecessary and Hollywood.

Has anyone figured out how Frodo gets the ring off and on the chain all the time without unclasping it?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:51 AM   #130
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

No, I have not figured it out and that is the one thing that also bothered me. I know it can change size, but how can it continually be on and off the chain????
Otherwise, I am now eagerly awaiting the Extended DVD in the hope that some more of my favourite scenes will be in it

Still, overall I am happy with FotR and am eagerly and very impatiently waiting for TTT
Old 10-28-2002, 03:03 PM   #131
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, that's actually something that I've always wondered about in the book, too. I mean, did it have a clasp? It had to, for him to get it off and on so much, but he does it so quickly and with such agility (I suppose), that it must not be like the clasps on MY chains! I guess there would have been some cool type of clasp that could be undone very easily (although in the movie we still don't see him pull the chain through the ring to get it off). Elf- made, I suppose. But in the movie especially -- I mean, he had it in his hand when he had been stabbed at Weathertop. Who put it back on the chain? They would have to have touched it, right?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #132
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Disaster, my VCR is biting the dust! Must go to repair shop!

Jerseydevil, I hate to be nasty, but why don't you make a better version? I'll eagerly await it.

I do think the friendship of Merry and Pippin was displayed when they lured the orcs away from Frodo. If they weren't with him out of loyalty before, they certainly acquired some.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote