Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2002, 03:57 AM   #81
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

How about you make your own film in which Arwen dies

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:15 AM   #82
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

I am not "against" Arwen per se!! I just do not think she should be portrayed as a 'Elven warrior'...If she turns up at Helms Deep to say a few words to Aragorn and then gets sent off with the other women and children, I would not mind....but i hear rumours of her blowing a horn...(PLEASE, PLEASE NOOOOO!!!!)
What I also really DO NOT WANT is her and Eowyn meeting!!!
Hmmm, actually that could get interesting

I agree that it can pay to lower ones expectations....but I still do not want PJ to go too far from the book...there is so much good stuff that he will never fit it all in....so I hope he does not waste too much time with his own added extra (I do not mind a bit with Faramir and Eowyn so that we get to 'know them' a bit, but there are so many great scenes in TTT that I want to be there....I will try not to expect too much!! I know with FotR I was elated and annoyed at the same time the first time I saw it....second was much better as I knew what was coming and could concentrate on enjoying a good story.
As long as Sam and Frodo get their fair share of time and it does not become just an action packed movie, I will be happy....oh, one more thing....I know you guys probably think I am a ......, but I REALLY REALLY want all the tears, hand-holding etc to be there. I totally fell in love with both Frodo and Sam on their journey,and although I enjoy other scenes (like Pippin looking into the Palantir etc.) my heart goes out to Sam and Frodo...
To me it is their journey and the sacrifices they make, and the support they show eachother that makes it such an unforgettable story.
If PJ forgets this and overemphasises the battle scenes without balancing them with Sam's tears falling on Frodo's hand when Frodo points out to Sam that he does not think they need worry about bread if they make it as far as Mount Doom, then I might still see the movie, but I will never forgive him!!!

But, for the time being I am giving him the benefit of the doubt...we will see
Old 04-03-2002, 12:15 PM   #83
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Creatures and Concepts

Well I am not sure this bit belongs here but I found it all very interesting. (Aside to the mods: If bad location feel free to move.)

Quote:
Richard Taylor, who won an Oscar for makeup and visual effects on the first Rings film, The Fellowship of the Ring , told SCI FI Wire that the creatures in the second and third films echo the movies' metaphorical progression. "We tried very hard to create the analogous journey, from cottage-industry England right through to industrial-revolution northern England," Taylor said. "Through that transition, the worlds are populated by different creatures of very different organic feel. There's very much a humanoid feeling of the cave troll, the Ray Harryhausen-esque watcher in the water. More fantastical as we journey into film two. The Mûmak [an elephantine beast] stands as the biggest thing we've ever made. It was 14 and a half meters square, a massive structure, took 18 house-removal tracks to get it to location. You'll be seeing that in film two. The creatures just become more and more fantastical and more visceral and real and gritty as they take on the mantle of Sauron's world."
A bid lenghty but pretty neat. I really like the fact that the futher the story moves along the more real the critters become. I also can't wait to see the Mûmak in action!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 04-03-2002 at 12:17 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:07 PM   #84
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Elephants!!! Woohooo! I adore them, I even have this little foster elephant and...*drags herself screaming and kicking back to the thread and rereads* Made one? They MADE their own Mûmak? What's wrong with your everyday-elephant? Too everydayish? Makes me curious what they made of it, VERY curious! Aaaargg! Still more than half a year to go!!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 02:06 PM   #85
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Oliphaunts, earniel, oliphaunts

Can't wait to see them!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 12:19 AM   #86
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Elephants!!! Woohooo! I adore them, I even have this little foster elephant and...*drags herself screaming and kicking back to the thread and rereads* Made one? They MADE their own Mûmak? What's wrong with your everyday-elephant? Too everydayish? Makes me curious what they made of it, VERY curious! Aaaargg! Still more than half a year to go!!!!
I think they needed one that's relatively big and would stay put not to mention one that doesn't negotiate for a bigger cut in the profits.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:50 AM   #87
Earniel

You've ever seen a full-grown African elephantbull, sorry oliphauntbull? (Off course you probably have) They get pretty big. Although you're right because it would probably be very difficult getting one of those to New Zealand. And they are a mayor handfull.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:02 AM   #88
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yup. And they're very dangerous; especially when it's mating season.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 08:21 AM   #89
Earniel

Yes when they are in Musht (not sure if I spelled it right), you better stay out of the way, or you get trampled. Something that doesn't come in handy on a film set of a battle.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:23 PM   #90
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Up...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:54 PM   #91
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
You've ever seen a full-grown African elephantbull, sorry oliphauntbull? (Off course you probably have) They get pretty big. Although you're right because it would probably be very difficult getting one of those to New Zealand. And they are a mayor handfull.
The point is Oliphaunts are much MUCH bigger than modern day eliphants. Oliphaunts are big enough to basically have war buildings and seige towers ON them. Think biggest Elephant. Then probably triple it in size
Old 10-23-2002, 01:29 PM   #92
Earniel

*thinks* Ow, that's big.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:30 PM   #93
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

On the other hand, "big as a house" could have referred to a hobbit house.

So it would only be about twice, not thrice, as big as the biggest elephant...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:24 PM   #94
Gerbil
Elf Lord

2.5 times then.

Let's haggle