Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2002, 05:28 PM   #61
Maren
Hobbit

Why thank you for your greeting Sister Golden Hair

I actually hope PJ does try to make it into a movie. I think it would be stunning. I hope nobody else tries to do it, b/c in my opinion, PJ is the man now when it comes to LotR.

The Hobbit would make an EXCELLENT movie!!!

Namarie, Maren

Van?!?!?! Red, right?
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:41 PM   #62
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Okay, I looked it up. New Line Cinema own the rights to the Hobbit and the Sil as well. I don't know whether to be horrified, or filled with a deep sense of forboding....

As much as I gripe about the LOTR movie, well, the action at least suits it, sort of. I don't think PJ's style would suit the Sil at all. I dunno - I really liked Bad Taste, Heavenly Creatures, and the Frighteners, but only because his trade mark directing style melded well with the subject matter.

Although: Not wanting to write it off altogether, Cirdan you're onto something there. A miniseries could work. But certainly not helmed by PJ: but I'm at loss for suggesting a director.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-28-2002 at 06:42 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:57 PM   #63
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I was wondering about choice for director myself. There have been quite a few Authurian/Medieval period pieces; some better than others. "the Mists of Avalon" was a bit heavy-handed, but the CBS version of Joan of Arc was well done. I would think if someone were to capitalize on the popularity of the New Line productions they should probably start moving soon. I expect New Line would at least do the Hobbit while Ian is still available. I would like to see the tie-dye dwarves' beards. Hmmm, I wonder if we can get funding. BoP, are you available to work on the screenplay for the Sil?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote