Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
double helix
Sapling

Strider questions

hey guys what do the aniur look like why did they end up in middle earth how come went bad when does this get interesting
double helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Interest is in the mind of the reader. Apparently you have already gotton passed the Ainulindalë, but that was one of my favorite chapters.

Your questions would be best answered in the short work in The Silmarillion entitled Valaquenta. I guess maybe you should take another look at it.

The Ainur looked however they wanted to. Forms were to them what clothes are to us. Without form they are invisable spirits.

Arda wherin was to be found Middle-earth was, simply put, the apointed place. It was chosen as the place where the chief conflict between good and evil, between Manwe vicegerent of the One and the diabolical Melkor, would play out. It was also the place where the Children of the One (Elves, Men and the One's adopted Children the Dwarves) would awake. Call it destiny.

"How come went bad"? How come some of the Ainur went bad? Oh I don't know, it all depends on the individual Ainu. Why does anyone go bad? It's a complicated question and I don't know that there's any one certain answer.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-27-2002 at 09:43 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:09 AM   #3
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Interesting point!

Actually I had a discussion about this with a CS Lewis fancier. She said what I thought too, that they might have originally appeared as the Angels from "That Hideous Earth". They were described as tall pillars of bright light that moved and sang. I said that it reminded me of "The Probe" from Star Trek, the Motion Picture. It was tall, and made a big sound, and was bright....

But i still grin when I think of Yavanna as appearing like a giant tree, head in the clouds, immense and powerful.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote