FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-16-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Trivia

I found some great trivia here including such interesting facts as:

~~~

It is reported that on the first run of the fight sequences using the MASSIVE Artificial Intelligence program, the intelligent fighters - programmed to fight in the most efficient manner possible ... all turned and ran away.

1,460 eggs were served to the cast and crew for breakfast for every day of shooting.

During filming, Liv Tyler left her pair of prosthetic ears on the dashboard of her car. When she returned they had melted.

Orlando Bloom (Legolas) did most of his own stunts and broke a rib in the process.

John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) developed an allergic reaction to his makeup.

Liv Tyler had trouble with her lines in Elvish and was unable to film a whole scene in one go, instead having to learn the dialogue one line at a time.

Eight of the nine members of the Fellowship got a small tattoo, the Elvish symbol for "9" at a tattoo parlor in Wellington, New Zealand, to commemorate the experience of the movie. The ninth member, John Rhys-Davies, declined and sent his stunt double in his place. Elijah Wood's tattoo is on his lower stomach. Two of the other hobbits have the tattoo on their ankles (to commemorate all those hours in the hobbit feet). Orlando Bloom, who plays the archer elf Legolas, has his on his forearm. Ian McKellen's is on his shoulder.

After the New Zealand premiere, director Peter Jackson joined the actors who played the nine members of the Fellowship in getting a commemorative tattoo. While their tattoos were the Elvish symbol for "9", Jackson received an Elvish "10".

The chapter titles "A Long-expected Party", "A Short Cut to Mushrooms", "The Bridge of Khazad-dum", "Lothlorien", and "The Breaking of the Fellowship" from "The Fellowship of The Ring" are spoken lines at their respective points in the storyline with the exception of "The Breaking of The Fellowship" which is foreshadowed during the scene at "The Mirror of Galadriel". "Riddles In The Dark" is also mentioned - the name of a chapter from "The Hobbit".

Peter Jackson's two children are listed in the end credits as "Cute Hobbit Children".

Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, changed its name to Middle Earth for the film's opening.

Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), who is trilingual in English, Spanish, and Danish, requested the script be revised to let Aragorn speak more of his lines in Elvish.

Although David Bowie was said to be keen on playing Elf Lord Elrond, the part went instead to Hugo Weaving.

New Zealand's army was cast as extras for large battle scenes in the film, but was forced to back out due to having to serve as peacekeepers in East Timor.

~~~

Pretty cool huh? There's more!

LOTRTM Trivia

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:59 AM   #2
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
That is so cool! I didn't know that Eleanor will be played by Sean Astin's own daughter! Or that one of the townsfolk outside Bree was actually Peter Jackson, that you can have the movie dubbed in Elvish*drool drool* , OR that Peter Jackson's kids were hobbit children in the movie! WOW!

I'm going to go and wish I owned the DVD now.....

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 02:31 AM   #3
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm embarressed to admit that I knew all that stuff. Peter Jackson was that guy who burped at Bree. I will refrain from saying something rude about Liv. Poor Orli, betcha that made the fangirls cry.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

PJ's kids were the ones at the front of the bunch who reacted to Bilbo telling the hobbit children about the stone trolls...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:06 PM   #5
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I knew David Bowie should have been Elrond!

The guy that PJ played was Albert Dreary. I believe he's mentioned in the book about being an entertainer. I feel like a freak that I knew all that though...
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:58 PM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

No, I think that's from the CCG. Don't remember ever reading that in the book.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 07-17-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Eh? Wo's tha'? Alber' Dreary? Never 'eard of 'im! Tha' bloke's no' in FOTR an' tha's a fact!
What may I ask is CCG? Never heard of it either.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 04:08 PM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, changed its name to Middle Earth for the film's opening.
Tickets, anyone?
Old 07-19-2002, 11:09 PM   #9
northsuperior
Hobbit

Strider David Bowie ???

he wanted to be Elrond well thats pretty neat he must have read LOTR and like it to have wanted the role anywho.....well he is weird enough to be someone who is immortal ( immortality has got to screw you up compared to humans ) but watching him play Elrond I would always be waiting for him to break into "spiders from mars" or something like that i think Hugo was good playing elrond except for his too downer attitude towards men, but i am sure that was PJs call not his...
northsuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 10:06 AM   #10
Panther2112
Hobbit

Nazgul

I liked the job Hugo did as Elrond, although I agree the character seemed a little down on humans. I don't rember the character being like that in the books. But I must confess, I think David Bowe could have been great as Elrond. Just watch Laberenth if you want to see how he could of handled the role. No offense to Hugo.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:34 AM   #11
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

That's a lot of eggs (o_O)
Old 07-26-2002, 07:24 PM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

If David Bowie had ended up cast as Elrond Half-Elven, I would have wet my britches. I think he is probably one of the FEW people I think would have POSSIBLY been a better Elrond than Hugo Weaving. However, as I have stated before, I think Weaving played Elrond magnificently.

Frankly, I have always thought David Bowie would be an excellent "Elric of Melnibone" if Michael Moorcock could ever get a movie made. The albino Dragon Lord of Dreaming Imrryr, bearer of Stormbringer, Kinslayer and Wife-Murderer, Emperor of Melnibone and heir to the Ruby Throne, I could think of no role which seems more suited to Bowie's personality and style. Bowie DOES have that otherworldly semi-alien look, and would have been a fantastic choice for.........GLORFINDEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very interesting facts there, Katt_nome_hobbit!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:23 AM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
What may I ask is CCG? Never heard of it either.
The Collecting Card Game by Decipher...

Old 07-31-2002, 07:22 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Re: Trivia

Quote:
Originally posted by Katt_knome_hobbit
Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), who is trilingual in English, Spanish, and Danish, requested the script be revised to let Aragorn speak more of his lines in Elvish.

Although David Bowie was said to be keen on playing Elf Lord Elrond, the part went instead to Hugo Weaving.
Neat Viggo fact.

I would have loved to see David Bowie pull off that part! I adored him in "Labrinyth".
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:56 PM   #15
Gerbil
Elf Lord

DB was great in Labyrinth (vastly underrated film IMO), but I think he'd not make such a great Elrond, mostly for the same reason Hugo didn't.

Elves are supposed to be the fairest critters on earth. Hugo most certainly does not have flawless skin etc, and as for Elrond having DB's teeth...
Old 07-31-2002, 10:40 PM   #16
northsuperior
Hobbit

Strider viggo

i like viggo his look is good, good not great he has gotten a poised pursed mouth look to him probably due to his goatee, his voice howvere is NOT manly enough not baritone or deep or commanding enough.
northsuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 03:21 PM   #17
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
...and as for Elrond having DB's teeth...
I guess you haven't seen a recent picture of David Bowie. He got his teeth fixed a while ago, he's perfectly pretty now

And I agree with Northsuperior about Aragorn's voice. I notice it especially in the Council of Elrond scene when he tells Boromir that he cannot wield the Ring, he sounds almost...kermit like...
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:48 AM   #18
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
I DID notice a voice change just then......

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote