Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2001, 07:36 PM   #1
Captain Stern

Gandalf - Gandalf the White

I wasn't sure which forum to put this on but seeing as a lot of what this topic is about is covered in the old texts I'll put it in this one, maybe I'll put it on The Lord of the Rings one later too.

From other topics on this forum people have reffered to parts of the HOME books e.t.c that Gandalf was the most powerful of the istari even at the begining and you've given possible reasons why Gandalf was 'captured' by Saruman ( allowing himself to be captured to learn more e.t.c )

What puzzles me is after Gandalf died at the hands of the Balrog he became Gandalf the White, meaning that now he was officialy the head of the Istari. He was evidently more powerful than when he was Gandalf the Grey....or was he? Was it because now he was The White he could be freer with his powers? It was stated that the Valar refused the Istari the right to openly battle Sauron so was he given permission to fight him after he became The White?

Also The Valar forced the Istari to take on the form of old men to gain their trust. They weren't allowed to take on forms of power and majesty in the risk of men seein them as gods or beings to be feared. So why did Saruman keep this form after becoming evil? Wouldn't it be better for him to take on a form like Sauron's to inspire his servants, to attract new ones and to frighten his enemies? Was it because Sauron forbade him to do so or did the Valar still have some power over him still?