Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Eclipse Day - 2017

I think this is only for those of us in the US... how many will get a good look at the solar eclipse today?

My new home of Casper, WY is right on the path of totality. I believe partial blockage starts in just over an hour - then over 90 minutes later we start on 2+ minutes of the moon completely blocking out the sun, then wind it back down.

I've got my eclipse glasses all ready - and they have the certification number (or whatever - that tells you they're safe and authentic). I put them on earlier to check things out, and you can't see ANYTHING with them on - except that the sun is a dull orange ball.

My hometown of Carbondale, IL is also along the path of totality - a little later today. Interestingly - there's another total eclipse coming to the US in 2024, going along an entirely different path - and Carbondale is in the path of totality then too. Sort of in the crosshairs.

Both towns are full of out-of-towners checking it out. Casper was anticipated to be a very good place to view it, because skies are usually clear. A little bit of haze today (from Montana wild fires ), and forecast for partly cloudy - but a glance at the sky indicates we'll have pretty good viewing.

Interesting to realize that the eclipse moves west to east - because the moon travels across the sky more slowly than the sun. So the sun basically overtakes it and passes it - from an earthly point of view.

Happy and safe viewing to all!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote