Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Approach to Rivendell

Why does Gandalf seem to have such a hard time finding the way to Rivendell in The Hobbit? Although Boromir later says something in reference to the place being hard to find (in 'Council of Elrond'), Gandalf should have apparently been there many times before.

Also - as they are approaching it, the descriptions just seem so odd to me - of the deep narrow valleys suddenly opening up before their feet. It makes you wonder how they made any progress at all.

And also - the location where they met the trolls seems so much further from Rivendell in The Hobbit than the same place seems to be from Rivendell in LOTR.

Just puzzling - that's all. Maybe they had swung around and were coming from a different direction, maybe Elrond didn't appreciate everybody knowing how to get there, so Gandalf was obliged to use a long way around. But as I re-read closely, it almost seems I'm reading about two different places in the two different accounts.

Hmmm... did Rivendell move?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote