Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
AndMorgothCame.
Hobbit

Sauron's view on Domination

I've viewed the threads about the Valar possibly intervening on Sauron's takeover of Middle Earth during the Third Age, and why or why not they did more than 'just' send the Istari (which proved well enough); but what about Sauron's viewpoint? Obviously he was there during the First Age and saw that his leader was dethrowned by the Valar and Eonwe. My question is: If he tried to duplicate Melkor's actions, what would make him think that the Valar wouldn't easily overthrow him, as they did with Melkor? Yes, his lust for dominance could make him overconfident in his actions, BUT history serves as a learning curve, and, as Sauron being the most knowledgable Being on Middle Earth, in the long run, what would make him think he could do better than his predecessor? (Keep in mind that all the fell beings of Melkor multiplied in hiding, waiting for the return of their master, as Sauron SHOULD have) I know this question is highly debatable and there is no true answer, but what is wrong with sparking opinions? Thoughts?