Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Closing of threads with 1000+ replies

What is the reason why the mods have to close a thread once it hits a 1000 posts?

Ben explained it a while back. IIRC it was something along the lines that once a thread reaches 1000 replies, the thread suddenly requires a lot more space on the server and it saves space to post in a new thread than to continue beyond 1000 replies.

If so, then why is this? What is the mechanism behind it? It seems so strange to me. Have the admins or mods checked if the problem that comes with having 1000+ threads still remains? I dno, maybe it's gone

If anyone can shed some light on this I'll be grateful, because I'm very curious
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote