Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Why Merry?

As you know, Merry (and Eowyn) killed the Witch-King.

But I have just remembered something... In the Barrow-Downs, after being rescued by Tom, it was MERRY who had the following dream:
Quote:
'What in the name of wonder?' began Merry, feeling the golden circlet that had slipped over one eye. Then he stopped, and a shadow came over his face, and he closed his eyes. 'Of course, I remember!' he said. 'The men of Carn Dûm came on us at night, and we were worsted. Ah! the spear in my heart!' He clutched at his breast. 'No! No!' he said, opening his eyes. 'What am I saying? I have been dreaming. Where did you get to, Frodo?'
It looks like that for a time he was possessed by a spirit of a long-forgotten Dunadan killed in the war of TA 1409, when the Witch-King destroyed Cardolan.

No other hobbit, but Merry, had a similar dream! And it was precisely Merry who killed the Witch-King, though all the four of the hobbits have got the Barrow-blades, potent against the Witch-King.

Do you think it is a simple co-incidence?
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote