Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2002, 02:13 AM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Cheap plastic aquarium plants?

I recall an interview with Peter Jackson, and he was explaining the level of creative detail in the film, and to paraphrase, he stated he even had the glasses on the tables completely handblown to his designs because he didn't want someone saying, "Hey! I've got a set of six of those glasses at home!" So he hired glassblowers to create Elven and hobbitish glassware, and so forth.

Er, Peter, so why the plastic aquarium plants?

At the Battle of the Gladden Fields, when Isildur is waylaid by Orcs, and the Ring betrays him by slipping from his finger, the ring floats down into a thick growth of cheapo platic aquarium plants, the likes of which can be picked up in any half-rate fish store. Why? For less than $60 US, Mr. Jackson could have arranged a grove of living aquatic plants and kept up to his artistic standard. Has anyone else noticed this and wondered as I have?

Peter: Hey! I've got a set of five of those same plastic plants anchored in my aquarium at home!

Just a niggling, minor point, admittedly. I think I'll get one of those One Ring replicas and sink it in my tank...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote