Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
Ælfwine
Hobbit

A question to ponder

One of the most magnificent questions I have come across regarding the importance of Tolkien's works was posted at TTF two years ago. I don't know if it has been posted here, but if it has, please forgive me for posting this:

Quote:
We all know that Tolkien's work is an immense one, with many mythological and extraordinarily vast topics, stories, events, and epics. In fact, there is more mythology in Tolkien's work than in most religions today. It dwarfs(no pun intended) the Bible, Quran, and other sacred texts of religions around the world as it pertains to history. That being said, I have a question. Forgive me if this has already been brought up, I am new. I will first give a very simple hypothetical situation. Again, a very SIMPLE situation. Just go along with it. Say all the people of the earth are destroyed. The only thing remaining on the earth is dust. Another race from another planet land on earth, searching for forms of intelligent life. They find a single Bible, Quran, and all of Tolkien's works. They somehow manage to translate the books into their own language.
My question is this: Would the roles of these texts be reversed now that a new being has encountered them for the first time? Would Tolkien's works be considered the religious and/or historical texts and the Bible and Quran considered stories? Both sacred texts are much shorter than Tolkien's works, and Tolkien goes to depths beyond the Bible and Quran on a historical level. Look at the length of The Lord of the Rings alone. It's unbelievable. Who would blame a newcomer, foreign to these texts, in believing that Tolkien's works represented reality and the Bible and Quran represented fantasy. Ponder, reply, and be gentle, please.
Many thanks to Xoranix, whom I haven't seen around for a looong time, for bringing up this question.