Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Cat breeding

A simple question:
Do you think it’s right to improve cats by breeding, only to get them to be good show cats, although the breeding causes serious malformations?

An example on this is a type of cats named Manx. To be a good specimen for its race, it shouldn’t have any tail. This race was developed from a cat who had a mutation and therefore no tail. This characteristic also brings complications; the cat’s back is also deformed. If two cats of this race mate, all of their kittens die; the gene is lethal.
Other examples are: white cats with blue eyes (who often are deaf) and Sphynx (who haven’t got any hair) (these two characteristics are also caused by mutations).

Is it right that people systematically breed cats for their own advantage, though it can be painful for the cat, or consciously breed cats that have deformities?

I know everyone have the right to say their opinion, but I'd prefer if cat-haters didn't do that here.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 06-20-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote