Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Lord of the Plot Hole

This is a humorous short story which is set in Rohan during the Scouring of the Shire. I've been wanting to write a fan fiction about Middle-earth for some time now, but all my plot ideas were Mary Sueish escapades in which I (in the form of a huge Mary Sue) rescued Frodo from certain doom etc. This is the result of reading too many MST's on The Lord of the MST's website, and having an extensively long shower this morning, where I got the idea. My fevered brain is in the middle of final exams. This story is a work in progress, but I think it has potential. The most important thing I request any readers to look for is continuity with Middle-earth. Please point out even the tiniest detail that is not canon with Tolkien's Middle-earth.

Now, without further ado...

The Lord of the Plot Hole:
The Scouring of the Plot Hole, or
The Adventures of a Random Girl in Middle-earth

Part I:

After climbing for several hours, Mairi was now able to enjoy the best part of mountain biking – the downhill rush. Unfortunately, this was the most technically difficult trail she had ever ridden. The going was incredibly slow, and she was spending most of her time hopping logs. She should have guessed this on the way up, but she had taken a different route which was much clearer. Now, logs, and rocks choked the narrow path. It wound somewhat arbitrarily around trees, and no efforts had been made to smooth the rough trail.

She rounded a corner sharply, and swerved around a boulder. Her right pedal clipped the boulder but she didn’t lose her balance. Without warning, a huge hole, at least six feet wide, opened in front of her. She had just enough time to wonder why it was completely black – the forest was dim, but there should have been some light in the hold. Her front wheel plunged into the seemingly bottomless hole.

Mairi fell ten feet out of the air. Her bike bounced off the front wheel and she fell painfully on to her back. This harsh fall was made worse by the fact that her bike was on top of her because she was clipped in. She twisted her feet out of the pedal clips and awkwardly kicked her bike to the side. Mairi was thankful she was wearing a helmet because the back of her head had impacted the ground pretty hard. Luckily, she had landed on soft grass. She should have sustained more injuries than she did from such a fall. She was winded and sore, with a mild concussion, but she had fallen hard. She ascribed her lack of injury partly to the hard plastic body armour she was wearing, but mostly to luck.

She took off her helmet and rubbed the back of her sore head. Now to figure out where she was. Mairi was fairly open-minded, but she had trouble believing the hole she seemed to have fallen through actually led to an alternate dimension. But what other explanation? One moment, she was swerving around a boulder on a mountain in British Columbia, and the next, she was in a field with rolling hills. She stood up achingly, and looked more closely at her surroundings.

The beautiful, rolling grasslands continued as far as she could see. In the distance, she could see tall, snow-capped mountains. This could still be in British Columbia, but the mountains seemed larger and craggier even than the Rockies.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote