Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
Dr_Deranged
Sapling

* Some Amazing Insights into ROTK! *

Hi i've just come back from watching the movie, and it was the most amazing thing ever! Anyway, here are some of my insights:

- I thought it was really unfair when that lady Eomer killed the Witch-King of Angmar, what did he do to deserve this death? Anyway, at least he got his own back and killed that stupid old man Theoden.

- The bit where the orc boats land onto osgiliath and you see that deformed pink orc, well i thought that was the most touching part of the movie and i cried so much when they showed his deformed club hand and his face. By the time we see him again shouting orders to the orcs on the Pelennor Fields, I was drowning in tears; for here he was shouting orders. I was totally taken aback by this and i didn't expect it - some people behind me however, didn't seem to share my emotions, and they told me to stop making so much noise.

- Why did Denethor not kill Pippin when he had the chance? If i was Denethor i would have stabbed him when he wasn't looking.

- Generally, i thought the computer graphics were pretty sub par. The silly Gollum character was so obviously a puppet. I tried telling this to the person sitting next to me, but he told me to shut up and watch the movie.

- I think the ending was excellent, but the problem was I fell into a loud fit of cough from the Grey Havens onwards, im not sure why all the audience were giving me dirty looks at the end - probably typical Tolkien nerd behaviour.

Anyway, except fot the few quirks ive mentioned,it is a very well done movie and Ian Mckellen's portrayal of Saruman is especially well done. Tell me what you think.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

You're a funny kid...kinda scary...but funny.

Welcome to Entmoot!!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Jedi X
Hobbit

ah, yes. you've a keen eye for detail my friend...but not keen enough- allow me to add my comments which were subtly discerned:

Quote:
I thought it was really unfair when that lady Eomer killed the Witch-King of Angmar, what did he do to deserve this death?
it is not lady eomer... it is lady >eomund<. okay? try to get it right next time. sheesh. clearly an inkling you are not. i hope no one is offended by your obvious lack of tolkienite knowledge.

Quote:
The bit where the orc boats land onto osgiliath and you see that deformed pink orc, well i thought that was the most touching part of the movie
here here! this was an excellent social commentary on jackson's part. it really does go to show us all that one can rise above any disabilities to become a respected and fully functioning member of society. remember when he said "now is the time of the orc"? such steadfastness and confidence in his own abilities (and his faith in his companions) makes one immediately realize that there is more to a person than just the way they look on the outside. truly, as the pink orc has lighted the way to all those "social deformites", there is hope for us to realize that age old truth: beauty is only skin deep. his tragic and senseless slaying at the hands of the "herd" metality should cause i to never forget the on-going battle many face against the overwhelming force of "social stigmas"

Quote:
Why did Denethor not kill Pippin when he had the chance?
huh?? apparently you did not look deep enough into this subtle tell. pippin was >an agent of sauron<.

remember in bree when he pointed out frodo baggins? do you really think it just "slipped"?

did you somehow miss the way he tried to get the fellowship killed by summoning a party of orcs and goblins in the elfin city of moria? by pushing that skeleton into the well and the PRETENDING it was an accident?
after crossing the bridge and escaping, pippin shed no tears for the fallen gandalf...he wept because he had failed sauron, and the fellowship went onward.

didn't you notice that it was pippin who tried to kept mary from talking to treebeard? why? he didn't want the ents to help in the war. but mary foiled him. and then he told treebeard to go past isengard. why? so treebeard would see all of the destruction of the trees. pippin was hoping to break the spirit of the trees. yet, foiled again.

then pippin is the one who "accidentally" finds the palantir, then uses it to contact sauron. come on. please. denethor immediately recognized pippin as an agent of evil. you know, you have to be one to know one. THAT is why he didnt do anything to him. in fact- denethor FEARED pippin. and well he should have.

even at the end, if you look closely and with a discerning eye- when frodo is leaving on the white ship and they are all weeping. look closely. pippin is SMILING! yes, he weeps for joy when he sees the thorn in his flesh departing away with gandalf and the other goodly beings. undoubtedly, he was already hatching a new scheme to raise up the black tower and bring back sauron.

also, think about this little nugget. PIPPIN has 3 P's in it. and what is P's place in the alphabet? 16! but I is 9 and N is 14. subtract 18 and 14 and that gives you 4, take away 3 for the 3 P's which gives you >1<. now take away the 1 from 16, and you have >6<. PPP=666!!!!! pippin is the antichrist.

i have tried to explain this to everyone, but they dont seem to "get it". blind fools.

Quote:
The silly Gollum character was so obviously a puppet.
good eye. you could even see the strings in a few places.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Hmm...never thought of that. But you are right of course.
Quote:
here here! this was an excellent social commentary on jackson's part. it really does go to show us all that one can rise above any disabilities to become a respected and fully functioning member of society. remember when he said "now is the time of the orc"? such steadfastness and confidence in his own abilities (and his faith in his companions) makes one immediately realize that there is more to a person than just the way they look on the outside. truly, as the pink orc has lighted the way to all those "social deformites", there is hope for us to realize that age old truth: beauty is only skin deep. his tragic and senseless slaying at the hands of the "herd" metality should cause i to never forget the on-going battle many face against the overwhelming force of "social stigmas"
That is very true.

And I think Jackson also must have had some ambitions of showing us Sauron's good sides. For one thing, he employed the elephant man, despite his uglyness. Is that evil? And also the elephants, hyenas and deformed eagles. They must clearly have been well fed and treated to grow so big. He must be very good at handeling animals.

I think Sauron could have been a very fine ruler of Middle Earth.

Welcome to the forum, Dr_Deranged!

Last edited by Falagar : 12-19-2003 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I wish I just had the past 5 minutes of my life back after reading this thread...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I wish I just had the past 5 minutes of my life back after reading this thread...
Not to mention all the timne you used to come up with that post.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Not to mention all the timne you used to come up with that post.
That too, and the time I took clicking this thread again and reading your post and then replying
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

at first i thought this guy was serious, hahaha
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:12 AM   #9
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
- I think the ending was excellent, but the problem was I fell into a loud fit of cough from the Grey Havens onwards, im not sure why all the audience were giving me dirty looks at the end - probably typical Tolkien nerd behaviour.
believe it or not. i started coughing and choking at the grey havens part.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-20-2003, 02:02 AM   #10
Thuringwethil
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi X

didn't you notice that it was pippin who tried to kept mary from talking to treebeard? why? he didn't want the ents to help in the war. but mary foiled him. and then he told treebeard to go past isengard. why? so treebeard would see all of the destruction of the trees. pippin was hoping to break the spirit of the trees. yet, foiled again.
it's merry. I win.
Closed Thread