Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2003, 12:35 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Why didn't Legolas carry the Hobbits?

OK, this might be really silly, but I"m re-reading LoTR for the umteenth time, and I've always wondered about this:

When the Fellowship was coming down from Caradhras, Boromir and Aragorn beat a path through the snow for everyone, then came back and carried Merry and Pippin, then came back again and carried Frodo and Sam. Why in the world didn't Legolas, who could walk on top of snow and is an elf and really strong, help carry any of the hobbits?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Maybe he would then be to heavy for snow. Plus: They needed someone who stayed with the two first hobbits when Aragorn and Boromir went back to carry the other two.
PLUS: Why didn't Gandalf carry a hobbit?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:43 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Legolas didn't because he was afraid the Hobbits would pull on his braids.

Gandalf's body was that of an elderly Man. Still hale, yes, but I believe UT says that the Istari took on the weaknesses and limitations of the human form when they took those bodies; he wouldn't, I think, have superhuman strength. I'm sure he COULD carry a Hobbit, but it would make more sense for the stronger, younger Men to, in my opinion.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:05 AM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Maybe he would then be to heavy for snow. Plus: They needed someone who stayed with the two first hobbits when Aragorn and Boromir went back to carry the other two.
PLUS: Why didn't Gandalf carry a hobbit?
Yeah, I thought about the too heavy thing, but still, elves are supposed to be incredibly strong. And Gandalf was back with Frodo and Sam.

Maybe it's just part of the whole disconnected Elvish thing - like Gildor said, "The Elves have their own labours and their own sorrows, and they are little concerned with the ways of hobbits, or of any other creature upon earth." Legolas always seemed a bit distrait, altho quite a helpful member of the Fellowship in many ways.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-06-2003, 01:34 AM   #5
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I thought Aragorn and Boromir was used as "snowplows" to forge a path through the snow. Legolas was like a scout who ran ahead to see what the conditions were like. Pippin and Merry were taken first (Legolas waited with them) leaving Frodo, Sam and Gimli with Gandalf while Aragorn and Boromir were the transports. This would leave Frodo guarded by Gandalf or Aragorn. I always thought that while the fellowship was together either Gandalf or Aragorn would stay with Frodo.
It reminds me of that game were there's a fox, a chicken, and a something else and you've got to get them across the river but you have to be careful because you can't leave the fox with the chicken because the fox will eat the chicken. (My example would be more effective if I could remember what that something else was ).
Anyway, just my humble opinion.

edited to add that the game is NOT played with a real fox, chicken, and something else

Last edited by Silpion : 06-06-2003 at 01:46 AM.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:03 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I believe it's a sack of chicken feed, isn't it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:18 AM   #7
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Either chicken feed or a similar thing - a sack of corn or something. But I always loved that game, cause I knew the trick. Just keep the fox on the same side as the corn/chicken feed and then when you take one over you bring the goat back. And - well, it's kinda hard to explain. Oh well.
On-topic: Mabye they wanted Legolas free to move if they were attacked. After all, he had both knives and arrows, so he could hit enemies from a distance.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:11 AM   #8
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Maybe he would then be to heavy for snow. Plus: They needed someone who stayed with the two first hobbits when Aragorn and Boromir went back to carry the other two. PLUS: Why didn't Gandalf carry a hobbit?
I agree, Legolas could walk on the snow himself because he could distribute his body weight, but carrying a hobbit he would have been too heavy.

As to Gandalf, I'm sure he would have sniffed at the suggestion and simply pointed out "Why have a dog and bark yourself!)
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-06-2003 at 03:13 AM.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:14 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Yeah, I thought about the too heavy thing, but still, elves are supposed to be incredibly strong. And Gandalf was back with Frodo and Sam.
It doesn't help you to be strong, you cannot walk on top of the snow if you're not light enough. It makes sense to send someone running down to look for a passage, and then make the other follow.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:59 AM   #10
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Why in the world didn't Legolas, who could walk on top of snow and is an elf and really strong, help carry any of the hobbits
Because Hobbits eat so much & are fat little critters
Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:

Maybe it's just part of the whole disconnected Elvish thing - like Gildor said, "The Elves have their own labours and their own sorrows, and they are little concerned with the ways of hobbits, or of any other creature upon earth." Legolas always seemed a bit distrait, altho quite a helpful member of the Fellowship in many ways.
yeah, as the others said ... I think you got me wrong. He was surely strong enough to carry a Hobbit, but the snow wouldn't have carried him and the hobbits
Old 06-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #12
Rían

But even if he couldn't walk on TOP of the snow anymore, he could have carried a hobbit to help out, and walk in the regular way, like Aragorn and Boromir, because elves are v. strong.

The more I think about it, the more I think Lalaith hit upon the answer (first among several of you guys) - Legolas stayed to guard Merry and Pippin at the other end. Legolas did go back to the group with B. and A. at first, then apparently followed A. and B. carrying M. and P., then it's said that L. stayed with M. and P. on the other side.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2003, 12:00 PM   #13
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
But even if he couldn't walk on TOP of the snow anymore, he could have carried a hobbit to help out, and walk in the regular way, like Aragorn and Boromir, because elves are v. strong.

The more I think about it, the more I think Lalaith hit upon the answer (first among several of you guys) - Legolas stayed to guard Merry and Pippin at the other end. Legolas did go back to the group with B. and A. at first, then apparently followed A. and B. carrying M. and P., then it's said that L. stayed with M. and P. on the other side.

Thanks!
That would also explain why Gandalf didn't carry one.
but ... there would still have been Gimli to guard them
Old 06-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think it was also partly Tolkien's way of differentiating the races for his readers. Men were the burley brutish ones that would do the major lifting, whereas elves were very strong, yet they were the lithe and nimble ones, which is why he portrays them more as archers in LotR, IIRC. Remember that he was communicating with readers who hadn't heard of The Silmarillion, where we see a more complete picture of the elves. I think he felt he needed to have some boundaries for his readers in terms of their view of the different races, esp. w/ so many characters.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:52 PM   #15
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Yep, well said. Tolkien was more than capable of seeing the needs of his readership at all levels, and he would have had a notion of what elves 'should do' compared to men compared to dwarves compared to hobbits compared to wizards.
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:14 PM   #16
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I think Legolas may have been preoccupied, with scouting out the area. Of course he'd be the best one to stay above snow, but given the curcumstances he'd be the best of the fellowship to keep a lookout instead. In case he found some orcs or spies or something, and then he'd be the best to kill them.

Plus he doesn't have much stregnth to carry the hobbits. It's logical IMO.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #17
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I think he didn't carry Hobbits because he was the only one who could walk on snow, so he was probably made the look-out or something, and carrying Hobbits could make him sink.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #18
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I think Legolas didn't carry the hobbits b/c he wasn't man enough.
hehehe

okay, that has to be the worst joke I've ever made in my life. *ahem* Anyway......

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #19
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Most likely because there smelled like rancid wet dogs, and he did not want to touch them.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #20
Rían

true!