Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
A model sailing ship of tin - possible?

I was watching a program called Neat Design (Värsta Formen) and there was this woman who was tin designer.

And this made think about the possibility of making a model sailing ship completely out of tin. Is this possible.

I had in mind a half meter long model ship and about 30 - 35 cm in height.

All shrouds and backstays should also be in thin tin wires.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
Mercutio

That sounds quite cool (since I love ships and naval stuff).

Hmm...maybe I should ask for a model ship for Christmas.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

How much does tin weigh? I guess it would only depend on whether tin is too heavy for it to float.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
How much does tin weigh? I guess it would only depend on whether tin is too heavy for it to float.
Well, I don't know. But a pound of tin is a pound of tin (I don't really know how much tin would have to used to make the model).

"Tinfoil" (somewhat thicker than the usual variety) for the sails, for example, and as I posted tinwires for the shrouds and backstays.

And as for floating capacity, my idea was to make a "window model", that is a model ship which stands on a support in a window.

Then I guess that the amount of tin will rule the structural stability of the model.

What say ye?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I wouldn't be troubled about the weight of tin (or density to be exact). With the right construction, nothing is too heavy to float. -- (checked it up, tin has about the same density as steel, which you make ships of that float).

What I come to think about though is tin's melting point which is comparatively low. What if there was a fire onboard? The boat could become quite deformed!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I wouldn't be troubled about the weight of tin (or density to be exact). With the right construction, nothing is too heavy to float. -- (checked it up, tin has about the same density as steel, which you make ships of that float).

What I come to think about though is tin's melting point which is comparatively low. What if there was a fire onboard? The boat could become quite deformed!
Well, I definitely see to it that there's no candles onboard.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #7
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I wouldn't be troubled about the weight of tin (or density to be exact). With the right construction, nothing is too heavy to float. --
Yeah - I was referring to the density. And true - with the right construction - nothing is too heavy to float - but if it's too dense - it can be very unmanageable - because it would need such a large water area (bottom) and can be very unstable. Of the coast of Cape May - where I'm off to now - there are the remains of the cement ship SS Atlantus that was grounded. Yeah - it floated - but it was VERY impractical. Also - if it's not dense enough - like gold - there would be no way that any weight could be put on it - because it would end up bending and becoming deformed. But from what I understand - this is supposed to be a model ship.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-11-2004 at 09:22 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeah - I was referring to the density. And true - with the right construction - nothing is too heavy to float - but if it's too dense - it can be very unmanageable - because it would need such a large water area (bottom) and can be very unstable. Of the coast of Cape May - where I'm off to now - there are the remains of the cement ship SS Atlantus that was grounded. Yeah - it floated - but it was VERY impractical. Also - if it's not dense enough - like gold - there would be no way that any weight could be put on it - because it would end up bending and becoming deformed. But from what I understand - this is supposed to be a model ship.
Yes, indeed. It supposed to be a model (as I posted before, like ppl have in their windows).
Old 12-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #9
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Yeah - Of the coast of Cape May - where I'm off to now - there are the remains of the cement ship model ship.
Hey, I've been on some of those cement ships but they were down in the bay near Yorktown, VA. Well, sorta near there, since we did cross a bit of water to get to them.

I was in Cape May in 1992, lovely lovely town. Watched "A River Runs Through it" for the first time there. I was the only one in the theater. Loved the beaches. I was there for about 7 weeks, ahem...

Yup, it's all about displacement, tin works really well off course. That's why in the early part of the 1900's they use to make a lot of tin ships as toys for kids. Should be a fun project. Good luck!!

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 12-14-2004 at 09:06 AM.
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:09 PM   #10
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
Hey, I've been on some of those cement ships but they were down in the bay near Yorktown, VA. Well, sorta near there, since we did cross a bit of water to get to them.

I was in Cape May in 1992, lovely lovely town. Watched "A River Runs Through it" for the first time there. I was the only one in the theater. Loved the beaches. I was there for about 7 weeks, ahem...

Yup, it's all about displacement, tin works really well off course. That's why in the early part of the 1900's they use to make a lot of tin ships as toys for kids. Should be a fun project. Good luck!!
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #11
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
I was watching a program called Neat Design (Värsta Formen) and there was this woman who was tin designer.

And this made think about the possibility of making a model sailing ship completely out of tin. Is this possible.

I had in mind a half meter long model ship and about 30 - 35 cm in height.

All shrouds and backstays should also be in thin tin wires.
Interesting, for my 3d class at Tyler School of Art we had to make a boat using duct tape and newspaper that had to be able to hold a person and still float.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote