Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2001, 01:14 AM   #1
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Strider Movie Characters

I just wanted to know what everyone felt about the cast that they have playing our (well at least mine anyway) heros. Personally I think Frodo looks too young, he is supose to be 40. I think They have an excelent person to play Aragorn, and Elrond is even better. I think Merry should be fatter, I dunno I always pictured him tubby for some reason, maybe its just his name, anyway, what do you guys think?

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 05:28 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I start by saying that my own criticisms here (matching yours) is really in relation to how I perceive them in the books, the movie will be great or terrible regardless of whether people 'really' wore plate armour or Uruks 'really' hatched from pods. Now for shorter sentences:

The Brandybucks had much Stoorish blood in their veins, and their thicker folk, but not generally fatter like the most representative variety of hobbit: Harfoot. I think Merry's okay. His hair might be darker. Most Hobbits were brown haired, although I myself like so many others have pictured Merry with lighter, even blonde hair. He had brown curly hair like the rest of his kindred.

Frodo was 50 when he left Bag-End, but because of the Ring he didn't appear to have aged a day since he received it at the age of 33 (= app. 18 for us). So the actor playing Frodo is of the right age.

I think Elrond doesn't look young enough, or at any rate fair enough. That's one of the tough things with portraying Elves. There is a beauty and a light in their faces and eyes that is simply not seen among mortals. Putting pointy ears on a human does not make a Quendë. There has to be some measures taken by the special effects department to enhance the features of a human being (and also the voice) to fit the Race described.

One thing seemingly missed by the casting director is the different tones of skin among different peoples. The Harfoots among the Hobbits (and Sam seemingly was one) had nut-brown skin. I have heard it said that this merely refers to tanned skin. I find it remarkable an entire sub-Race has spent more time in the sun than the others and have passed on that tanned skin to their children. Especially considering that particular variety of Hobbit was more accustomed to living underground. Also the Bree-landers were dun-skinned, being descended from Dunlendings ultimately. In the movies they are caucasian. The folks making the movies also seem to be unaware (like many people) of the swarthy inhabitants of Gondor.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:11 PM   #3
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Yes, I think Inoldonil has hit the nail with regard to Elves..special effects! Why oh why didn't they think of that?!

Aragorn looks great I agree, however I picture the heroes of Middle earth being buff. Not exactly body builder standard but seeing as Aragorn will be covered up the whole film ( I assume he will be, but with Arwen's increasingly expanded role anything could happen ) I don't see the harm of padding him up a bit. Same goes for Boromir ( Couldn't have chosen a better person to play him but he also needs beefing up! )

A lot of people forget that the ring ensured that Frodo didn't age a day.

The more I see of actual video footage of Legolas the more I don't like the actor portraying him. Not that I have anything against homosexuals but the actor does seem a bit on the feminine side and I don't see Legolas as being feminine in any way.

Elrond is descended from Melian an uber-beautiful angel, Luthien the most beautiful child of Illuvatar and Dior who was said to be the fairest child in all the world be Edain, Quendi or Ainur, so why did Peter Jackson cast a very average looking human as Elrond who has Divine blood flowing through his veins?
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 11:32 PM   #4
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Even thought I want them to follow the books as closly as possible, I cant say I would mind seeing Aragorn strip a few layers . I think Legolas looks feminine because he is an elf and the elves arn't as big and "buff" as humans.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 05:32 PM   #5
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

i haven't seen alot of footage of the movie but the ones i have seen they have long hair i always thought they short hair. because in P.Tolkien's time they didn't have long haired people who where normal............................................ ................ who else besides me thoght that they had short hair
Old 09-26-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Cast Characters

As far as the Fellowship is concerned they did a great job,I mean they hit right on the head when they chose the Hobbits, boyish and cute, Wood was 19
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:01 PM   #7
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Cast Characters

As far as the Fellowship is concerned they did a great job, I think that they need to lose the long hair on the Hobbits and Boromir but other then that it's perfect. Elrond is too old looking and they could have done better but I'm sure it'll come out fine.
Sam
Ps. Hey Arwen if you want to see some more footage check out this website: http://www.tolkien-movies.com has as many pictures as you could like.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 06:29 AM   #8
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I think they did a pretty good job too. I like that Hugo Weaving is Elrond, considering he was agent Smith in the Matrix.
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote