Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2001, 07:29 AM   #1
easterlinge

Where were the Rangers when you needed them?

What were the Rangers doing during the War of the Ring? 30 went south with Halbarad, because that was all he had time to summon.

If there were more than 30 Rangers, then the rest must have been pulled back from Bree and the Shire for some reason. It must have been very important, that they would leave Bree and the Shire unprotected for a year.

What were they doing?
Old 07-30-2001, 11:24 AM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Where were the Rangers when you needed them?

I believe there was no more than what went south.
Old 07-30-2001, 02:03 PM   #3
Elenna

I never gave much thought to that. I assumed that there was only that small number of the Dinedain that still existed. I do remember reading that there numbers were few.

I always assumed that all the rangers went with Halbarad and thus fugured that was why the shire was left unprotected.

I imagine that saving the entirity of M E from Sauron was a more towardw the top of the list when all the Dunedain gathered to go meet Aragorn. Remember how happy Aragorn was to see his friend Halbarad? One of my favoirte moments.

Besides If the Dunedain had been protecting the shire then we would have missed all the great heroics of Merry and Pippin. Hooray!

Elenna ~ Lady of the Stars
Old 07-31-2001, 02:50 AM   #4
easterlinge

I dunno, personally I feel there were more Rangers than the 30 that went south. Halbarad said that 30 was all "that could be gathered in haste", which seems to imply there were more, but the Rangers were so scattered they had trouble gathering all together.

It's been many centuries since the Fall of Fornost in Arthedain without any major wars, so I think the numbers of Northern Dunedain would have recovered somewhat.... surely 100 or even 1000 Rangers can be supported? Not quite an army, but certainly more than 30.

Old 07-31-2001, 11:57 AM   #5
Shanamir Duntak

I don't think there could be so many as 1000. Byt their lifestyle, you could think they are not really prone to reproduction.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:30 PM   #6
Spock1

Basically the Shire etc. was forgotten by the rest of the world and so their departure did not create any danger.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:19 AM   #7
Shanamir Duntak

It would have should they be gone too long...
Old 08-10-2001, 07:03 PM   #8
Xivigg

in tale from the third age it is say that they face the nine and had to retreet

something like that anyway
Old 08-10-2001, 09:30 PM   #9
Manwe Sulimo
Elven Warrior

The Rangers that were guarding the entry to the Shire was forced into retreat by the onslaught of the nazgul, is that what you mean? When the nazgul's was entering the Shire, the Rangers tried to block the road, but couldn't and those that didn't flee was killed.
Manwe Sulimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 02:49 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Where is it said that the rangers fled or were killed by the Nazgul??? Never heard of such. Unless we're rewriting Lotr?
Old 08-13-2001, 05:48 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Rangers and Ringwraiths

There were many more than went south. Halbarad said thirty was all that could be gathered in haste, so more would have come if they were able.

The assault upon the Rangers at Sarn Ford by the Nazgûl is told of very briefly in the Appendices to the Lord of the Rings and I think also in Unfinished Tales; The Hunt For The Ring.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:16 AM   #12
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

I never knew that...

The Nazgul attacked the rangers guarding Bree and the Shire? I never knew that. Wish Tolkien had put it in the LOTR, it would have been more dramatic. Maybe Aragorn would mention it in Rivendell, returning from his scouting trip.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:03 PM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Well, technically the Appendices are part of the Lord of the Rings. If you read intently though, one does realize the Rangers played a large part in protecting those mundane peoples who either know nothing of them or hold them in scorn.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:13 PM   #14
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

When you think about it, the Sarn Ford attack is a pretty good action scene. Wonder if Peter Jackson will put it in the Movie?

It might give the audience a better idea about the Rangers.

On the other hand I see difficulties. It might steal the thunder from the eerie Weathertop attack.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 01:26 AM   #15
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I'd be worried about it ruining the feeling of wonder and amusement in the Party scenes. I mean, when Frodo gets ready to set off on his journey with Pippin and Sam the Riders have long since entered the Shire, as you know Frodo nearly misses one in Hobbiton on The Hill. So they'd have to be shown entering The Shire earlier.