Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
clep_web
Hobbit

Can the Istari be considered a 'race'?

Personally I am against this, but I have read a few Middle-Earth inspired RPGs and stories online which consider the Istari a 'race', like the Elves or Dwarves of Middle-Earth.

Do you consider 5 old men a 'race' or did Tolkien write somewhere in one of his books (which I don't possess, like the Histories of Middle-Earth series) about this topic?

Thanks
-Charis

Some time later and a few dead wolf packs...

"What did I tell you, Mr.Pippin?" said Sam, sheathing his sword. "Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no doubt. Nearly singed the hair off my head!"
clep_web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

I don't think I would consider them a race. Not a race of wizards, as it were. Of the "immortals", they're Maiar.

However, at the same time, would one define Balrogs into a race? I suppose so. They're Maiar, but appear as altogether unique creatures. Istari on the other hand look like old men. Gandalf, as an Istar, looked like an old dude, but he also looked like an Elf occasionally before his wizardly days....

Interesting question.

Last edited by Rev. Justin Timberlake : 02-08-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Rev. Justin Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

As the LOTR now stands, the Istari is a little group of Maiar, not a race.

But in The Hobbit and in Tolkiens's early drafts for the LOTR, there was an earlier conception of the Wizards, as a race, or special people, or even as a "profession" of Men. It was recently discussed in another thread, in Books Forum. I copy it here:

First the wizards were Men of a "noble profession" wielding sorcery and having a very long life. Gandalf and the Wizard King were from Numenor, as for the others, it was not said that they were Numenoreans, though perhaps ALL the wizards were supposed to come from there. See this quote from the LOTR ( also present in early drafts):

Quote:
'Who is Saruman?' asked Pippin. 'Do you know anything about his history?' 'Saruman is a Wizard,' answered Treebeard. 'More than that I cannot say. I do not know the history of Wizards. They appeared first after the Great Ships came over the Sea; but if they came with the Ships I never can tell. Saruman was reckoned great among them
At first the Wizards were supposed to be rather numerous and common - almost like special "folk".
See this part of the LOTR prologue:
Quote:
And certainly it was from Bree that the art of smoking the genuine weed spread in the recent centuries among Dwarves and such other folk, Rangers, Wizards, or wanderers, as still passed to and fro through that ancient road-meeting.
Compare it with the quote from the Hobbit:
Quote:
Indeed Bilbo found he had lost more than spoons – he had lost his reputation. It is true that for ever after he remained an elf-friend, and had the honour of dwarves, wizards, and all such folk as ever passed that way; but he was no longer quite respectable.
But then, in the first draft of Saruman's talk with Gandalf in the drowned Isengard, Saruman says:
Quote:
'Later! Yes, when you also have the Keys of Barad-dûr itself, I suppose; and the crowns of seven kings, and the rods of the Five Wizards, and have purchased yourself a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now.
Here the FIVE wizards appeared out of nowhere and remained firmly in the story.

Much later, Tolkien decided they were no Men, but "angelic beings", Maiar, sent from Valinor on a mission to the ME around TA 1000.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
Helix
Elven Warrior

The Istari are certainly Maiar, but it's interesting to note how other Maiar (Balrogs, but also things like Vampires and Werewolves and other creatures mentioned only briefely) seem to be considered different "races". Personally, I'd say they're all really just Maiar (as far as race), but the ones that don't appear human tend to be shuffled out under most categorizations. It's interesting to see their development from Men though.

Incidently, the card game (by Decipher) gives all different branches of Maiar their own races. "Wizard" is a race, but so also is "Balrog." Sauron, however, is just a plain "Maia," though probably because they made him later and didn't know what else to call him (he's also listed as a "Minion," probably for same reason).

I don't know if this is really related, but what about the watcher in the water? IIRC, it's a Kraken (a mythological water-beast-thing), but is it too a Maia? If not, what?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
Sam
Elven Warrior

In a book that I am reading, it lists the Istari in the "race" section.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Here is Robert Foster's definition of the Istari. Although his work is somewhat out dated, he is considered to be pretty accurate. Nowhere does he describe the Istari as a race, but as beings.

From the Complete Guide to Middle-earth

Quote:
Istari- Five (or more) beings sent to Middle-earth by the Valar about TA 1000 to unite and counsel the Free Peoples in their struggles against Sauron. They were forbidden to dominate the peoples of Middle-earth or to match Sauron's power with power. When Saruman, the greatest of the Wizards, disobeyed this injunction, he was cast from the order and bannished from Valinor. At the end of the Third Age the Istari passed from sight, for with the fall of Sauron their work was done. Gandalf passed over Sea with the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings, and the other surviving Istari may also have returned to the West.

The Istari bore the forms of old Men, although they were vigorous and aged very slowly. They possessed great skill in body and mind; their powers were focussed through their staffs. Each of the Istari had his own color and grade within the order. Saruman the White was the eldest, and Gandalf the Grey second.

The origins of the Istari are veiled. Professor Tolkien said they were Valar 'of a sort'. If Olorin the Maia can be equated with the name Olorin borne by Gandalf 'in his youth in the West', then the Istari were Maiar, a conclusion made plausible by the equality of the powers wielded by Gandalf and the Balrog of Moria.

Called "Wizards" in Westron.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote