Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2002, 01:12 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

computer and technology help

A computer only understands 1/0 or off and on.

That I've got.

I'll try to ask the question in several ways to hopefully make it easier to understand.

How does the electricity "know" what to do.

I turn on my computer the electricity flows through transistors, but how do the transistors "convert" that electricity into all the cool stuff my computer does?

How does the CPU "think/ know what to do" just from off and on switches.

Is it a matter of something like this. Say I push the "K" button. This sends an electrical pulse to the "K" transistor so the "knows" that I pushed "K"

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:45 AM   #2
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

The computer would read something like

INPUT k=1

If you have a document open it will print the letter K if there is a menu with a key K word it will take you to it. It reads the Input and then applies it to practical output.

When you move the mouse -

LgitchInput

x- 16
y-14

move the mouse

x=15
y=14

it saves the coordinates and produces an image on your screen ( shaped like some type of cursor) inputting information causes mouse to move.

Thats about as Specific as I can get..

I guess we'll have to wait for someone far more knowledgable then myself to answer your question in better detail
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:57 AM   #3
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I turn on my computer the electricity flows through transistors, but how do the transistors "convert" that electricity into all the cool stuff my computer does?
Oh my god! That is a really big question. You can take entire courses..no...entire series of courses that deal with this.
Umm...As I understand it (Eek! I'm just a biology major.), the computer understands a low voltage as 0 and a high voltage as 1. Those little circuits inside the computer take in these 0/1 signals and convert them to other 0/1 signals and send them around, depending on what the circuit/component is designed to do. Ummm...somehow that makes the computer do what you want it to do. OK. that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Don't we have any engineering types on this board?
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:48 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

CardenIAntauraNauco

thanks for the x/y coordinates

mirrille

thanks for the attempt.

i've been asking and searching on -line for days for someone to answer my question.

But being stuck in an anti-intellectual country ( I don't mean America . I'm in KSA)
I can't get much info. Do you believe that they have blocked several of the on line ask an expert like sites. Utterly pathetic.

I've gotten gotten answers but not the underlying one I've been styriving for.

Put thanks for your replies.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-27-2002, 08:40 AM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The best I've got so far try here:

http://www.footefamily.org/train/howdo.htm

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-29-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Wow - I'm a computer person and I learned something with that article. I never really paid any attention to nor were we taught what the voltages were for 0 and 1. It's just not something that is required to program a computer.

I know binary and all that stuff - but they just never got into that low level of the computer.

Here's a good book you might like - How Computers Work

Also - I was putting together an online Java turtorial. It's geared toward people that have never programmed before. If you want you can chech it out at - http://users.hsonline.net/rrosetta

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #7
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

You might try http://www.howstuffworks.com/category.htm?cat=Comp at How Stuff Works.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:26 PM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

thanks for the further suggestions

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-17-2002, 02:33 PM   #9
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Digital Electronics Part 1

<START OF PART 1>

I'll try with something as basic and as simple as I can explain without filling too much moot space.

Electricity, or rather electric current, is the term generally used to denote a flow of electrons from atom/molecule to atom/molecule. This is due mainly to forces that pull/push them from a place with higher potential to one with lower potential. In a battery, the positive side has an overabundance of atoms with one or more electrons missing. The negative side has an overabundance of atoms with one or more electrons too many. If you connect the two sides using conductive material, it closes a "circuit" and the electrons flow until the battery is said to lose power. They don't have to flow all the way. It is more of excess electrons moving out on (-) and electrons from the circuit moving to the (+) to fill the void. All electrons within the ciruit move in the general direction until there is roughly no over/underabundance of electrons.

For digital circuits, a power source does the same thing as in others. We will start with with the transistor as this is the most basic digital component.
Transistors are a very curious accidental invention by Shockley, Bardeen and Brattain which either allows a massive amplification of current through a ciruit or acts as switch.
In analog electronics, the amplifying aspects are generally used but for digital electronics, the switching function is more often used.

A transistor is composed of 3 slightly altered pieces of semconductor materials (usually silicon) fused or at least in contact with each other. One is coated with another material which makes it slightly positive (or negative) and it is placed between the other two which are coated with another material which makes them slightly more negative (or positive). The point is that they are connected either in an N-P-N or P-N-P manner. Electrodes are connected to them to allow them to be part of at least 2 circuits.

<END OF PART 1>

(I need to finish my program and will continue after 24 hrs.)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-17-2002 at 03:31 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:10 PM   #10
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

ARATHORN!!!

For the love of Frodo! How much do you know on the subject???!!!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:38 PM   #11
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I took at least 12 units in college but was forced to really learn how to explain in simpler terms (unless asked to be more thorough) when I was an Asst. Instructor 5 to 8 yrs ago. I'll continue with the free tutorial tomorrow since posting a big chunk down takes me from work.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 03-17-2002, 03:44 PM   #12
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

whoa basically.
whoa.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 06:59 AM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for part one and pre thanks for the ones to come.

One question about the above. you said that transistors can be amps or switches.

what does the amplifying in a transistor

Whenever I'm rich or at least well off i'll buy you a new Middle-Earth book of your choice.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-18-2002, 07:06 AM   #14
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

this computer at school knows if its me or elf master xk that is on it and logs us on automatically as soon as we get here
it is a wise computer if just a little bit slow

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:08 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

You just means that it recalls your password, correct?

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-19-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:06 PM   #16
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Oh yeah, A-E, I was just getting to the Amp part.

See attachment for PART 2.
Attached Files
File Type: txt simplified electronics.txt (4.1 KB, 28 views)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 03-19-2002, 03:21 PM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

You Da Man!!

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-19-2002, 03:23 PM   #18
rainbow
Enting

since u all seem 2 know a lot about comp. mayb u can hlp. me with my prob. i downloaded msn the other day but i can't get in b cos my comp.*blast it* won't let me have a net pasport i have tried simply getting one or trying 2 get a hot mail account but it won't work, can n e 1 help

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 02:13 AM   #19
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I'm not sure how passport really works; except that it's MS's version of a universal ID system.

I think I've registered for one but I avoid using it until I really do need to upgrade to XP from my old 98.

Perhaps it is looking for some cookies on your browser or it can't recognize some of your hardware.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 03-20-2002, 09:31 AM   #20
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

No what i mean is that me elf master and elendili all go on the same computer and we are already logged on when we get there because the computer knows who is sitting in front of it

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote